Post by Blorx » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:04 pm

Note to self:

Need to get remotivated...

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Re: Graaahhhhh can't make up my mind

Post by Blorx » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:07 pm

Update:

There's going to be a lot of jumping projects and quite a few demo things that simply show off creativity (hopefully) in the coming months as I do what I can do when I can do it.

NOTE: Sticking to Flash and Atari 2600, still.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:35 pm

Update:

(Wow, 3 updates in one night, I'm overdoing this)

Experimenting with the idea of a procedurally generated mini-game for the first little demo I do outside of Willow.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:19 pm

Update:

First off, Willow just isn't possible on the Atari 2600. I've been talking to Atari programmers and doing tons of research and it just is a slight bit beyond what the 2600 can handle. Against popular recommendation, I'm trying the XNA Game Studio again to create Willow (instant 360 deployment <3). It will still feature retro-styled graphics, but they will be a bit more advanced than the 2600's.

Secondly, I'm not dropping the idea of a survival horror game just yet. It's just hindered. Sweet Home and Deadly Premonition have sparked my interest in the prospect yet again.

Third, it's not an update, as it would never be possible for me, but I think it would be awesome to create an Atari-style console with slightly more capabilities. :D

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:35 pm

GRAHHHHHHHH!!!!

I keep jumping around. Screw updates. I'll post when something's done.

For now, still focusing on Atari. Keeping the idea of having Willow done in XNA, but focusing on trying to get it done on Atari first.

Before that, to learn the Atari techniques needed, I'm going to start working on a small game called Isolation, which I've yet to entirely decide the details of and I'm going to work on a Lugaru demake.

Those are my projects. This is final. I will post when something's done. No sooner, no later. I know you're all sick and tired of my hopeless jumping around.

Endorgan

Post by Endorgan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:58 pm

Blorx wrote: Those are my projects. This is final. I will post when something's done. No sooner, no later. I know you're all sick and tired of my hopeless jumping around.
Hehe, it all depends on what you're jumping for.
Time to sit down and get to business eh?
Good luck to ya!

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:39 pm

Endorgan wrote: Hehe, it all depends on what you're jumping for.
Time to sit down and get to business eh?
Good luck to ya!
Yeah, first thing's first. Crunch time for Willow. I'm on an Atari programming forum, getting advice and finishing up final details and then I'm going to be dead set on getting it done. I wanted everything laid out in front of me before starting so it would be a smooth ride, but it's spring break so I better not waste the time I have to work 9 hour days coding. :lol:

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:08 pm

Update:

Finished the tutorials. Working on my first game ever, called Love/Hate (renamed Isolation), as of about 5 minutes ago.

My nerves are way up for some reason and I'm really nervous. I know that this is all part of the learning process (making the game, I mean), but I'm just really worried I'm going to screw up, I guess.

Anyways, just wanted everyone to know that production has officially started. Hopefully, when I'm done, everyone will enjoy it.

I'll post the binaries and instructions on how to get it working (w/ pictures! :D ) up on my site as soon as it's done.

Until then, no more updates. Crunch time!

NOTE: No more updates means no more updates. I may still be posting, but it's just to relax and clear my mind when I need to.

Endorgan

Post by Endorgan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:16 pm

Blorx wrote: My nerves are way up for some reason and I'm really nervous. I know that this is all part of the learning process (making the game, I mean), but I'm just really worried I'm going to screw up, I guess.
Pff, even if you screw up, you did better then everyone else that didn't try.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:23 pm

Endorgan wrote:Pff, even if you screw up, you did better then everyone else that didn't try.
Perhaps they just went straight to the stuff that worked? =P

I would like me some images, up untill now it has all been in my head.
And I would like to see how you work too.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:33 pm

Freshbite wrote:
I would like me some images, up untill now it has all been in my head.
And I would like to see how you work too.
I'm working on it. Trust me, I am.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:46 pm

Okay...one more update.

This is going to take a lot longer than I originally thought. Even after spending half my spring break (you think I'm kidding, I seriously mean half of my spring break...close to 12 hour days in 2 accounts) learning each and every 6502 Assembly Language command and what they do, I don't really know how to put it together. I've read through the entire Stella Programming Guide, all of Andrew Davie's tutorials, Kirk Israel's tutorials, a beginner's guide for 6502 Assembly Language, the whole nine yards. I could tell you what every command does. However, I couldn't tell you how to make a game out of it.

Currently, I'm going to be spending a bunch of time reading through the Stella archives, as well as some commercial disassemblies and some student game source codes. I've been told they're a treasure trove of information. That, and I'm going to be learning hexadecimal and binary math, as it'll be imperative that I know it.

Anyways, yeah, just a bit of a delay. I've got a background done, and I'm working on coding out the playfield, but I really doubt that's of any interest to you guys. There's really nothing going on in it yet. :lol:

I'll keep you guys updated on progress once progress starts heading my way.

Until then, I'm debating making a small Game Maker game because, as it seems with Freshbite, you guys are becoming impatient with me and want something you can grasp a little better. :lol:

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:54 pm

Nah nah! I aint impatient, I just forgot to add smileys to let you know that I'm fine with it =)

For the record, take all the time you need and do things as you want them to be done, and then present something to us that you are proud of and would like us to see. =)

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:24 pm

Freshbite wrote:Nah nah! I aint impatient, I just forgot to add smileys to let you know that I'm fine with it =)

For the record, take all the time you need and do things as you want them to be done, and then present something to us that you are proud of and would like us to see. =)
Cool, cool, haha.

It's just a tad bit more complicated than I originally imagined. :lol:

In any case, yeah, it's on the move. I've taken the rest of spring break off to chill though. I just spent too much time being a code monkey.

On a side-note, people like Todd Frye are the kind of people that make me never want to sell anything I make. >.>

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:43 pm

Forgot to mention that I updated the Willow page to reflect current plans. I'm also going to work on the Games page later (ie remove future projects), and possibly redo the website soon. It's an ugly site and I know it. :lol: