11%
The Mother-like RPG
4%

Total votes: 28

Freshbite

Re: Graaahhhhh can't make up my mind

Post by Freshbite » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:09 pm

I wrote a post on the Blog.
However, it took my name as Freshspace (which is the alternative Email I use) and not Freshbite.

But what I basicly said was that you get that peculiar feeling of a tsunami or a landslide coming at you with no way to stop, and I think that's great.
You had some funny rhymes in there aswell =)

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:11 pm

Yeah, I just forgot that Blogspot painlessly lets you post on the blog, so I expected responses here. :lol:

In any case, glad you like it. :D Think I could make an interesting poetic game with moral choices out of it?

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:12 pm

Blorx wrote:Think I could make an interesting poetic game with moral choices out of it?
Yeah! I get the same kind of feeling as when I read the in-game story of Braid. Which by the way is a truly awesome game.

I have to sleep now, nighty.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:24 pm

Updated the post about the poem:

Now includes the sketch I did that inspired it just for the sake of having a visual.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:23 pm

New post:

Concept of the game at hand.

Endorgan

Post by Endorgan » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:17 pm

The concept kinda reminds me of ImmorTall. Very strong moral and I found the "ending" quite (I'm not sure how to put it) touching.
Damn boy kept running in front of me though... Sooooo frustrating.

In any case, I'm enjoying your concept so far. Great job getting what you're going to do down, and I hope you stick with it.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:38 pm

Thanks Endorgan! I plan on sticking to it.

Update:

Mocked up a website with my knowledge of HTML learned in Web Page Design, which can be found here.

If anyone knows where I can get a better free domain than at webs.com or 50megs.com, telling me would be great. I don't like the uber-limited upload amount.

Also, I know the website isn't pretty. I just needed a hub for all of my projects.

NOTE: Currently, on the games page, the only "more info here" link that works currently is the Endaron one. I'm working on getting to a point where I can get screenshots of my works before I make official pages for them. Endaron I simply had to link.

NOTE2: You'll notice there's a little more info on the grayscale platformer available. :wink:

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:06 pm

Update:

Added info and teaser site for the interactive fiction series. You can access it through the games page on the site.

NOTE: The download link doesn't work yet. I just made it easier on myself and included it.

NOTE2: Clicking on the picture for "The First Incident" enlarges it so that you can see the fine detail...there's not much, but it looks less like random colors and more like the beach if you do.

NOTE3: Yeah, I noticed that the sites are a bit slack. I can't do much better atm.

NOTE4: Yeah, The Painter's Onset will be a horror interactive fiction with a man who went crazy after he found a paintbrush with the power to make his paintings come to life. I don't know if anyone's done something similar to this before, though I know people have toyed with the idea of living drawings before. I'm doing it this way, either way.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:56 pm

Update:

Slowly trudging through creating the first Painter's Onset chapter. I'm mainly creating it first because it'll be done relatively quickly and show forth something of my creativity that you guys can look forward to (or be appalled by, who knows?) later on.

Inform 7's language is easier than most languages, because scripting is almost like writing in English. Couple that with the extensive in-IDE documentation and I'll be fine. Just trudging because I'm learning as I go.

NOTE: I'm posting wayyyyyy too many updates today...

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:50 pm

Update:

Scrapping the Painter's Onset for something less disturbing. I quite honestly was made pretty uncomfortable...

In any case, I will still be making an interactive fiction. Just not now.

EDIT: For anyone curious, I just couldn't do it. Being only 16, I couldn't create a main character that was literally insane. You have to get into your main character's head to really create a good story, and it just was too disturbing for me to do something like that.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:09 pm

Update:

New blog post about previous endeavors.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:16 pm

Update:

Not blogging about it, but I have fully designed my Atari 2600 game, Willow. I have even stated the overarching reasons behind the design in my design doc. My design doc isn't long, but it's enough for me. ;)

Currently, I'm working on learning 6502 Assembly Language and techniques for making things work on the Atari 2600.

I will write more on it later when I've gotten some progress on the game done and I know it's possible on the Atari 2600.

Granted it is possible, I'm sure you'll be in for a pleasant, even if short, surprise. :D

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:51 pm

That sounds awesome!
And I'm looking forward to this "surprise" of yours. (As long as it is not surprise buttsex..)

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:24 pm

Lol, it's not.

I'm experimenting with different types of gameplay, currently, and if it comes out as planned, then it'll be something truly unique. :D

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:03 pm

Update:

Willow is going to have to be an ongoing project. In my ventures in Atari-land, I've noticed that there are a few techniques I need to learn, that are rather advanced, before I can pull it off.

I plan on having the first of the 4 games that will be called "Willow" done by the beginning of this summer, though I give no guarantees. :D

I am sure that it can be done, though. After seeing the semi-dynamic weather in A Slow Year and the way that the graphics are done in Duck Attack! (both are homebrew WIPs for the Atari 2600), I am absolutely sure that, with some work, it can be done.

I'm not posting about the meaning behind each design decision just yet, I'll try and see if you all can figure it out between now and the time it's done, and if you can't, then I'll post about it, but...

Here's how Willow is going to be set up (this is the bare minimum rundown):

Part 1 - Sproutling

Your willow tree has just begun to grow above the ground and it's a sproutling. You are a bird, and you must defend it from various attackers, such as insects, snakes, and other birds. If anything reaches it at all, then that's it, the game ends and the score you have is final.

Part 2 - Youth

Your willow tree has now grown a bit and is distinguishable as a tree. However, you now have to help it grow. One controller will control the sunlight, and the other will control the rain. There are 5 spots you must give a balanced amount of sunlight and rain. The rain will fall directly down from a single, small cloud and the sunlight will go out at a diagonal from one beam.

Part 3 - Maturity

Your willow tree has now grown significantly and is under threat of a death by natural occurrence. There's a wild fire. Each controller controls a rain cloud and you have to stop the fire. However, it won't be as easy as just putting it out and it's done with.

Part 4 - Elder

Your willow tree is fully grown now. It's about to die. You are a ghost and you must collect all the stars in the sky to bring new life to the tree. Ghouls are after you, though.

That's all I have time to say. There will be an easter egg too. Aight, post your opinions, PEACE!