Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Anything else
Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Post by Grayswandir » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:46 am

Oh, its great and all...until you run out of ammo because no one can give you any. :D
I kept having to switch between Medic, Assualt, and Recon every time I died.

MagnusM1

Post by MagnusM1 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:29 am

Playing FPS-games on consoles?

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:49 am

I'm trying to imagine a human face actually contorting into that expression.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:00 am

MagnusM1 wrote:Playing FPS-games on consoles?
Please, don't be one of those. Oh god, please don't.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:04 pm

Hi there, consoles > computers in terms of gaming. Especially in FPS games. Have a nice day.

Getting back on topic, I think I'm about to go play BFBC2 way more. I've been playing Black Ops more recently but it's getting so boring. I bought the map pack which is definitely not worth it- Ascension as a zombie map is 'meh', Easter egg and all, and the multiplayer maps all suck because they encourage camping. Kowloon is the only one I even remotely liked. I don't even have Vietnam or the "VIP" DLC for BC2, but I still like it a ton more. Can't wait until Battlefield 3.

Healey

Post by Healey » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:54 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:Hi there, consoles > computers in terms of gaming. Especially in FPS games.
Depends on your rig. Look at Crysis 2, for example.

I sold Bad Company 2 for Black Ops. Completely regret it. Even though I get very few kills in Battlefield, the satisfaction you get from working with your team and outsmarting the opponent way surpasses anything you can get out of the breakneck speed of CoD.

Battlefield 3 looks amazing though. I'd take it over MW3 any day.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:07 pm

Well yeah, but any rig that outperforms a console most likely cost several thousands of dollars to assemble.

Dudeman

Post by Dudeman » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:39 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:Well yeah, but any rig that outperforms a console most likely cost several thousands of dollars to assemble.
Try $500-700.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:03 am

$300 if you use the same monitors, case and power supply as the last one :P ...

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:10 am

Not from scratch, pre-made. I guess the 'assemble' thing was a bit misleading. Assembling by hand is a lot cheaper but more often than not still more expensive than a console. Plus, most PCs become outdated (ie can't play games at full HD settings in all their splendor) after 3 years on average :roll: Even with a decent or good rig, there's still tons of annoying bugs that happen on PC games because you have a certain graphics card or a certain motherboard or some crap- it's hard to develop a game without bugs on a platform that's so varied. For instance, just yesterday I got Half-Life 2 and started playing on my PC, only to find that I suffered from a somewhat common bug where the characters' mouths don't move when they speak. If I had gotten Orange Box for my PS3, I wouldn't be experiencing that bug. On consoles, if one user encounters a bug, chances are everyone else will too, and typically within a few days the dev has pumped out a patch and problem solved. It's not as easy solving bugs on the PC when the problem can be something very obscure that's specific to only a small demographic of the userbase.

tldr -> PC can outperform consoles but consoles are less expensive and generally offer more reliable gameplay, without the annoying random bugs that can afflict mid-end computers.

BACK ON TOPIC CHOO-CHOO

Had a rather funny experience earlier today on Laguna Presa. On Conquest, I spawned as a Recon on the Hilltop (Flag "B") to help with capturing the Crash Site (Flag "A") As I zoomed out, I saw gunfire coming down my allies from the mountains overlooking "A", and I moved my scope to see four snipers all sitting within inches of each other and staring at the same spot. One mortar strike later, my killcount had gone up by four and my allies had captured "A".

On a related note, the VSS is goddamn amazing. Slap a Red Dot or a 4x Sight on there and it's the perfect weapon for CQC. Unfortunately, it tends to run out of ammo pretty quickly, and if you put on the Extra Ammo skill as your first perk you won't be able to get a custom sight. At long range, it's still pretty amazing for a countersniper weapon, but again, a little tough to use because it's an automatic. Bullet spread is enormous and you might waste half a magazine trying to down one soldier, even if you fire in small bursts of 1-3 shots.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:02 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:tldr -> PC can outperform consoles but consoles are less expensive and generally offer more reliable gameplay, without the annoying random bugs that can afflict mid-end computers.
It's seldom that a PC's actual hardware malfunctions (notwithstanding its compatibility with certain games), but PS3 and XBox 360 hardware malfunctions are quite notorious. The only game I've ever encountered a legitimate compatibility problem with on my PC is The Saboteur, and I later found out that was shit so I wasn't too put off anyway.

I've had much more problems with consoles, in other words.

I enjoy both options. PC is better for strategy games and in some cases FPS games. It's just about what you're used to, and console gameplay is second nature to any kid of this generation. I'm irked by the lack of attention to PC gaming quite often.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:12 pm

I have, in 12 years of using consoles, never had a problem with any of the five consoles I've used- well, alright, I had this one issue with my PS2, but that's probably more due to the fact that I stepped on the open disc tray than an issue with the console itself. But PC? I've had plenty of issues. Maybe my power source hasn't ever spontaneously combusted, but the frustration that comes from issues with software is really quite annoying. I've had issues with probably every other game I've ever tried to play on my PCs, ranging from small annoying glitches to complete incompatibilities despite meeting and exceeding system requirements and whatnot- I've had to return PC discs to the store on three separate occasions because they wouldn't run properly. Maybe I just have shitty luck, but if I go out and buy a game for my console, you can bet it'll work, unless I break it in half before shoving it into the disc slot.

Also, I'm not trying to make the console > PC point because there are plenty of great games available on PC that you can't find for the PS3/360, and there's generally a wider selection of games available for PC than on consoles. I still use my PC for gaming (which should be rather obvious since we're on the forum of a company that develops games :P), sure, but I generally find my consoles to be much, much more reliable.