Guy seeks game.

Anything else
Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Re: Guy seeks game.

Post by Blorx » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:00 pm

Other than Metro, there are always a few free horror games floating around the net. Yume Nikki is a pretty popular one in Japan. There's also The Void (not to be confused with Dark Void), which came out recently, but isn't free. :P

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:11 pm

Criteria wrote: - It has to be available on PC.
- Preferably something with good writing. Bad writing acceptable if gameplay is excellent.
- Would be especially interested in horror or stealth games.
Metal Gear Solid series. The first (technically third) game from '98 and the second, Substance, are available on PC. The third is only available on PS2 and 360, the fourth remains exclusive to the PS3, and the fifth is in development but will be available for both PS3 and 360. You might feel that the first is outdated but it'll probably keep you busy for a while, as will the second- from what I understand, the PC release contains the original main storyline and 500 Virtual Reality side missions, so if you can get used to the game you'll probably have a good time with it.

If you have a PS2 or 3 however, I do strongly recommend the third and fourth games. The former has some overdone inventory/menu screens, but if you end up liking them, the gameplay becomes extremely immersible. I remember how easy it was to sneak in the first and second once you learned the patrol routes of the guards, and realized they could only see about five feet in front of them, but in the third they blend in perfectly with the jungle background and can see you at over a distance of 50 yards- camouflage and sneak attacks become nearly necessary on the first playthrough.

The latter can go one way or the other. If you rush through it going Rambo on everybody you meet and skip the cutscenes, you'll be a bit shocked when the credits come up after three or four hours- because frankly, that's how long a speed run would take. Take your time; my original game took 9 hours of gameplay (17 total with the cutscenes) and I don't regret going a bit slow. I was able to enjoy the superbly crafted environments, slaughter those ever replenishing PMC soldiers, and kick back with a tub of popcorn on some of the long, epic battle scenes. It remains to date without a question my favorite game ever, not just for the third-person shooter/stealth genre or for the PS3, but of all time. OF ALL TIME [/kanyewest]

EDIT: I just realized that the last two paragraphs probably don't apply to you at all- the OP suggests to me that you don't have any consoles XD

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:55 pm

The third MGS is not on 360...what are you talking about?

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:09 pm

Ah, my bad. I mistook Subsistence as a 360 port, but it turns out it's just an extension of the original Snake Eater and exclusive for PS2 :S

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:49 pm

Blorx wrote:There's also The Void (not to be confused with Dark Void), which came out recently, but isn't free. :P
The Void is utter shit. Don't play that broken game.
Ragdollmaster wrote:*Metal Gear Solid fanboyism*
Your fanboyism of the series borders slightly on cringe-worthy. I'm being generally jocose, but come on, you didn't even mention Metal Gear or Metal Gear 2 which can be accessed on PC through an MSX emulator.

Oh hey, why didn't I think of that?

Zhukov, try Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 on MSX emulator.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:47 am

Metal Gear Solid. Seriously?

Bleh I say. Bleh.

I never could stomach Hideo Kojima's writing. And that was before Half Life 2 and Bioshock came along and turned me into a game snob. It's so bloody melodramatic. No sense of subtlety at all. And the gameplay is... well... I can't honestly say it's terrible, much as I'd like to, but it certainly isn't anything special.

Granted, I've only ever played bits and pieces of the MGS games. Were I inclined to be charitable then I would assume that I just happened to hit all the bad parts. Since I am most definately not so inclined, I'm going to assume my experiences provided an accurate sample and write the whole mess off as garbage.

The only fun I ever had with the series was playing part of MGS4 with a friend so we could snigger at the godawful cutscenes. But then my friend started laughing so hard she nearly fainted from lack of oxygen, so we had to stop.

EDIT: Die typos, die!

John

Post by John » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:37 am

Deus Ex game of the year edition for $2.50 right now on Steam.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:58 am

Now that's a sexy proposition. And I've been propositioned quite a few times already today.

I don't understand the adversity towards the Metal Gear series. What says that only subtlety is the way to tell a story? Granted, Metal Gear Solid told a believable story in a game in the same way that OJ Simpson's lawyers provided a believable defense in a murder trial, i.e. it's only believable when applying the strict laws of the science which applies to it. In terms of MGS, it's only believable in the context of the strict application of game design. in terms of the OJ Simpson trial, it's only believable in the context of the strict application of the legal system.

Okay, that was such an obscure simile that I had to explain it, and hence both ruined the simile and confused myself by becoming entrapped in the definition of what I was trying to explain.

Okay, I'm just going to stop typing.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:02 am

Gameplay wise, the MGS series is awesome (and sometimes even humorous). Storyline wise, as the series went along, the concepts got more and more convoluted and confusing that they sometimes flet like an inside joke that only Kojima understood. At this point Kojima can pretty much say, "I'm going to do this, this way, because I want to...screw the editors."

...I was gonna suggest Tropico 3...mostly because its hilarious...and everyone loves being a dictator of their own little island.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:48 am

have you played mass effect 2 yet?

i do apologise, i am possibly the most over the top fanboy for ME at the moment

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:08 am

zoidberg rules wrote:have you played mass effect 2 yet?
Do you mean me? If so, then no, I have not yet played Mass Effect 2.

Remember that bit I said earlier about having to let the memories of Dragon Age fade before throwing more of my not-particularly-hard earned cash at Bioware? Yes? Well, I was only half joking. Playing that game was like being given a slice of mouth-wateringly delicious chocolate cake and taking several joyous bites, only to discover that the icing was made from turds of a HIV-positive leper and that I was expected to eat not just one slice, but the whole damn cake.

And since it has only been about three hours since I finally gave up on DA...

But don't worry, I will get around to ME2 eventually. Your work here is done, albeit somewhat postponed.

In the meantime, thanks to you fine fellows, I have Thief, Metro 2033 and the new Alien vs Predator to keep me occupied. Life is good again.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:10 am

The new AvP? Oh god no...not another next-gen knock-off of an already tired and overenfranchised series!
Last edited by Renegade_Turner on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:11 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:The new AvP? Oh god no...
It was on special!

Don't judge me!
Last edited by Zhukov on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:13 am

Oh no, now look what you've done, you've ruined my otherwise witty repartee by making it look cheap and edited. Now I'm nothing more than a filthy stinking whore.

Oh oh OH, get an emulator of Alien Breed. Dude. So much more of a thrill than any current generation alien game.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:14 am

And now you've done the exact same to me. Bastard.