Guy seeks game.

Anything else
Zhukov

Guy seeks game.

Post by Zhukov » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:30 pm

Well, my last two game purchases (Just Cause 2 and Dragon Age) were very disappointing. So I have decided to throw my prospective entertainment to the tender mercies of the internet.

Gentlemen, recommend me a game. A good game.

Parameters:
- It has to be available on PC. (No, I'm not elitist, I just don't like analog sticks.)
- Preferably something with good writing. Bad writing acceptable if gameplay is excellent.
- Any genre except real time strategy or JRPG.
- Would be especially interested in horror or stealth games.

Fire away.

zoidberg rules

Re: Guy seeks game.

Post by zoidberg rules » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:32 pm

mass effect 2, nobody else say anything but it

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:39 pm

zoidberg rules wrote:mass effect 2

Blimey. That was a fast reply.

Anyway, I actually plan to get ME2 at some stage. But I'll have to wait for the painfully boring memories of Dragon Age to fade from my mind before I can bear giving more money to Bioware.
zoidberg rules wrote:Nobody else say anything but it
Nobody listen to that bit.
Last edited by Zhukov on Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:02 pm

F.E.A.R. -- The entire series is downright superb. Enough said.

also

Splinter Cell: Conviction -- Will be available for the PC on Apr 27, 2010. [Source]

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:06 pm

Freshbite wrote:F.E.A.R. -- The entire series is downright superb. Enough said.
Played F.E.A.R. 2 awhile back. 'Twas... well, okay I guess, but my mind remained unblown.
Freshbite wrote:Splinter Cell: Conviction -- Will be available for the PC on Apr 27, 2010. [Source]
Yeah, along with that lovely new DRM of theirs. No chance.

Also, the central premise of the Splinter Cell series has always utterly failed to interest me. Elite agents, covert ops, evil Russians, blah blaaah blaaaaaargh.

Anyway, keep 'em coming guys.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:01 pm

Penumbra! There are three games in the series, and they're my favorite horror games of all time!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penumbra_overture

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:04 pm

Zhukov wrote:Played F.E.A.R. 2 awhile back. 'Twas... well, okay I guess, but my mind remained unblown.

I most definitely think the first game (... and its expansions) were a whole lot more mindblowing.

If you still like the genres, but not the series, I could recommend...

Stealthy / Sneaky:
Death to Spies -- There's nothing like sneaking around in WW2 with a tissue of chloroform.
Thief: Deadly Shadows -- It's a bit old (2004), but it's still hella fun.

Frightening:
Metro 2033 -- Underground in Russia with creepy demons, what else can you desire?
Penumbra -- Quite old, but still lives up to the demands from horror-games of today.

I found these games while craving for the very same thing you sought for.
They have not dissapointed me.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:06 pm

Sandurz wrote:Penumbra! There are three games in the series, and they're my favorite horror games of all time!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penumbra_overture
Why you... !

[Ninja'ed]

Dudeman

Re: Re:

Post by Dudeman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:36 pm

Zhukov wrote: Also, the central premise of the Splinter Cell series has always utterly failed to interest me. Elite agents, covert ops, evil Russians, blah blaaah blaaaaaargh.
The other spllinter cells may have been like this, but the story for Conviction is really much different. It's mostly about Sam trying to find out what happened to his daughter, getting revenge, and developing new "convictions" about 3rd Echelon.

Also, if you have Just Cause 2 for the PC, then it really is much less dissapointing than the console version. There is already a booming modding community for it, which you can find here: http://www.justcause2mods.com/ (Original name, no?). There's also a trainer for the game that allows you to have unbreakable Dual Hooks, and/or multiple Dual Hooks. You can find that here: Website
Latest Version

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:21 am

Sandurz wrote:Penumbra!
Freshbite wrote:Penumbra -- Quite old, but still lives up to the demands from horror-games of today.
Played it awhile back. Good stuff. Except Clarence. Clarence was ridiculous.
Freshbite wrote:Metro 2033 -- Underground in Russia with creepy demons, what else can you desire?
Been considering this one. Still not decided.
Freshbite wrote:Thief: Deadly Shadows -- It's a bit old (2004), but it's still hella fun.
Oh hey, and it's available on steam. Now this bears further investigation. Thankee kindly.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:51 am

You're most welcome.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:42 am

I find that video reviews are usually the best way to glean a feel for a certain game. Other than demos, obviously. Or the actual game. So here's two different video reviews from IGN and Gamespot.

From what I can glean from it, it's a bit glitchy, the animations are at times second-best and the combat isn't in any way revolutionary, but the atmosphere is fantastic, the setting is very interesting, and apparently it never gets boring.

Oh and it's not a horror or stealth game, but Planescape: Torment is a pretty awesome PC RPG. It's by Black Isle Studios, same company responsible for Fallout 1 and 2, and Icewind Dale 1 and 2.

It has a VERY interesting setting. And it has clever writing. And the skull is funny.

9.8 out of 10 from 112 user votes on Metacritic? What more reccommendation do you need? That's regardless of media critical reviews, they're generally hiveminded and all say the same damn thing anyway. But the media critical reviews kicked ass too, 91/100 from 22 reviews.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:40 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:[Videos]
The voiceover in the second video was a bit much.
But I'm sold nonetheless.

Thank you.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:46 am

yeah, even i gotta admit, that looks pretty cool.

but seriously, dont worry if dragon age was crap, just get ME2 and you wont regret it :D

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:26 pm

Okay. Now my turn.

Guy seeking other guy. Preferably with glass eye and peg leg. Parrot optional.