Guy seeks game.

Anything else
Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Re: Guy seeks game.

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:39 pm

Is he shotgunning them with some kind of non-lethal shot (It makes sense, but its just funny)? I saw him shooting people in the head about two to three times...

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:24 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:Dull in theme? There's not supposed to be any story. Lol. It makes more sense to have no story for a game like this than it does to have story.
I didn't say story. I said theme.

In this case, the theme appears to be "cops vs hostage-takers in modern urban environment". Which strikes me as a bit dull.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:22 am

Zhukov wants bright pink space marines that fight the terrorism that clowns cause in small children. You have to smash all the clown's noses in and blind fold them to keep them from harming hostages. You also have to gun down the parents to keep them from interfering after they paid to have the clowns come into their homes. The clowns are aliens and they can't see the color pink. Hence the need for space marines. You're also armed with the latest non-lethal technology and you can liquidate anything you aim at. But they don't feel it, so its painless. But the laser effects look awesome. Fuck yeah.

Say it with me:
FUCK YEAH!!!

You're saying it wrong.

Prepare for...
SPACE MARINES VS. ALIEN CLOWNS: IN SPACE ANGRY FORKLIFT

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:39 am

If you are trying to suggest that I prefer games with at least some fantastical elements, then yes, I do.

Although, incidentally, I am actually thoroughly sick of space marines, regardless of colour. Same goes for fighting terrorism.

invertin

Post by invertin » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:02 am

There is a significant difference between Fun Space Marine and Generic Space Marine. Unfortunately most developers do not know it.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:14 pm

Grayswandir wrote:Is he shotgunning them with some kind of non-lethal shot (It makes sense, but its just funny)? I saw him shooting people in the head about two to three times...
Hahaha, yeah. Shotgunning a guy in the face with beanbags is just so satisfying.
Zhukov wrote:I didn't say story. I said theme.

In this case, the theme appears to be "cops vs hostage-takers in modern urban environment". Which strikes me as a bit dull.
Ahh, so people can't make games about SWAT teams and the job they do without making a dull game? That's a strange opinion.

Besides, modern environment what? They could hardly make a SWAT game in a medieval environment. Anyway, I thought you said THEME, not SETTING?

Zhukov wrote:If you are trying to suggest that I prefer games with at least some fantastical elements, then yes, I do.

Although, incidentally, I am actually thoroughly sick of space marines, regardless of colour. Same goes for fighting terrorism.
Would you prefer if the SWAT team were able to wield Plasmids?

To be honest, the fantasy themed RPG FPS hybrid (usually with dark overtones) seems to be what you're generally looking for, and also gets quite dull. Not everything can be a Bioshock or a Deus Ex. That doesn't mean someone can't make a good fantasy themed RPG FPS hybrid, even if it is getting a bit overdone at this stage.

Just because you're swapping modern realistic shooter for futuristic fantasy shooter doesn't make it any less hard to make a good game. It's swapping something mundane for something else which is mundane, just wrapped up in pretty colours, and possibly a bow.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:55 pm

Bows are awesome.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:46 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:Ahh, so people can't make games about SWAT teams and the job they do without making a dull game? That's a strange opinion.
No, you could make a passable game out of that. So long as you got the gameplay right.

The overarching theme would still be dull though.
Renegade_Turner wrote:Besides, modern environment what? They could hardly make a SWAT game in a medieval environment. Anyway, I thought you said THEME, not SETTING?
Yes, they could. But that would mean a significant alteration of the theme. Because setting can be a vital to the theme (see: Rapture). Which is why I specifically mentioned the setting.
Renegade_Turner wrote:Would you prefer if the SWAT team were able to wield Plasmids?
Yes. A couple of cyclone traps could come in handy.
Renegade_Turner wrote:Just because you're swapping modern realistic shooter for futuristic fantasy shooter doesn't make it any less hard to make a good game. It's swapping something mundane for something else which is mundane, just wrapped up in pretty colours, and possibly a bow.
If I am going to be stuck with mundane, I would prefer the mundane that comes with pretty colours and a potential bow.

tannim

Post by tannim » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:57 am

If you want to get sick, try to find the abandonware game... HURL

DosBox will be required. Awful AWFUL game... but worth a snicker and a few minutes of what the hell is THIS?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re:

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:16 am

Zhukov wrote:
Renegade_Turner wrote:Besides, modern environment what? They could hardly make a SWAT game in a medieval environment. Anyway, I thought you said THEME, not SETTING?
Yes, they could. But that would mean a significant alteration of the theme. Because setting can be a vital to the theme (see: Rapture). Which is why I specifically mentioned the setting.
No, you see, this is my point. They COULDN'T. SWAT teams did not exist in medieval times.

You're clearly just very biased towards one genre of gaming. I accept all types and enjoy all types, so I think my opinion is more balanced.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:16 am

What they could do, is a SWAT game that is set in the future, in which they time-travel back in time into the medieval age...

Silly, I know.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:45 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:
Zhukov wrote:
No, you see, this is my point. They COULDN'T. SWAT teams did not exist in medieval times.
Yes, they could. You never heard of time travel before? In fact, there's a game out there called Darkest of Days that does something vaguely along those lines.

Bear in mind, I'm not saying it would be a good game. After all, Darkest of Days was shit on a stick. But it could be done.
Renegade_Turner wrote:You're clearly just very biased towards one genre of gaming.
Really? And which genre is that exactly?

Because if games-with-interesting-themes counts as a genre then yes, yes I am.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:33 pm

Where "games with interesting themes" boils down to "fantasy/futuristic setting and not much else", then yeah.

Also, it wouldn't be SWAT if it was a few guys who were in a SWAT team travelling back in time. It would just be a bunch of lads in inappropriate attire standing around looking threatening. Now you're just clutching at straws.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:40 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Where "games with interesting themes" boils down to "fantasy/futuristic setting and not much else", then yeah.
Firstly, that's not much of a restriction. "Fantasy/futuristic setting" covers a huge swath of games. From Zeno Clash to Mass Effect to StarCraft and anything in between.

Secondly, there is a difference between "interesting theme" and "fantasy/futuristic setting". A game can be set in a fantasy world and still not have a theme that I consider interesting. Dragon Age for example. Or Crysis.

Besides, your assumption, while reasonable, is not entirely accurate.
I like Mirror's Edge. Mirror's Edge does not involve a fantasy or futuristic setting.
I like Penumbra. Penumbra does not involve a fantasy or futuristic setting.
I like Left 4 Dead. Left 4 Dead does not involve a fantasy or futuristic setting.
Renegade_Turner wrote:Also, it wouldn't be SWAT if it was a few guys who were in a SWAT team travelling back in time. It would just be a bunch of lads in inappropriate attire standing around looking threatening. Now you're just clutching at straws.
Oh? So you're saying that setting is an important aspect of the theme? Y'know, as in the entire point I've been trying to make in regards to this "medieval SWAT" business.

Remember?
Zhukov wrote:Because setting can be a vital to the theme (see: Rapture). Which is why I specifically mentioned the setting.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:44 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:Also, it wouldn't be SWAT if it was a few guys who were in a SWAT team travelling back in time.
They would still be a team of Special Weapons And Tactics.

It could actually turn into a pretty fun game.
Killing knights with an M16 rifle, luls.