Linux project, help needed. Linux users please take a look

Anything else
cachiporrin
Froot Loop!!!

Linux project, help needed. Linux users please take a look

Post by cachiporrin » Tue May 04, 2010 8:29 pm

Hey guys.
I just started working on my science fair project. Basically, I'm going to defend linux.
My school only uses windows, despite of starting endless petitions for installing linux because the little kids always complain about not using linux at home.
In my project I'm going to install linux and show it, explain the differences between linux and windows and why I consider it better.
So, I was wondering if some of the linux users here could write some kind of review or what you guys think about linux and why you use it or why it's better than windows.
thanks
Should I add something to my project?
Last edited by cachiporrin on Wed May 05, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jkreef

Re: Using Linux

Post by jkreef » Tue May 04, 2010 9:02 pm

No offense but that doesn't sound much like a science project to me. I would suggest that you follow the scientific method and prove that Linux is better than Windows. Which it is by the way You could do random sample usability tests. For instance tell people with no Windows or Linux experience to change the resolution and time them doing it. Alternately you could do performance tests. Whichever rout you go, try to avoid a simple tech demo, at least if you're going to be presenting at a science fair.

cachiporrin
Froot Loop!!!

Re: Using Linux

Post by cachiporrin » Tue May 04, 2010 9:28 pm

ok, I have to accept I kind of explained my point very badly.
It is a virtual science and informatics fair and I actually didn't choose my topic, but I have to stick with it and I actually like it.
I just wanted to know your point of view about this and if you are talking about performance tests and that kind of stuff you could actually recommend me some way to do that, I haven't used Linux in ages because of my parents but this is the perfect way to get it back.

jkreef

Re: Linux project, help needed. Linux users please take a look

Post by jkreef » Wed May 05, 2010 9:59 pm

So basically, the premise of a performance test is to take something that both systems can do, and see which does it better. You have to define "better" though. It could be anything from faster (easier and less subjective) to most user friendly (harder and more subjective). One you decide on what to test and what "better" means, you can actually run the tests. Make sure that you use the same hardware for every test, and do multiple trials for each system.

What level is this, middle or high school? College? I'll be able give you more specific answers.

I'm an avid Linux user so I should be able to help with tech problems if you run into them.