Trine

Anything else
Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Trine

Post by Blorx » Sat May 08, 2010 6:47 pm

Anyone else played this indie platformer masterpiece? I bought it the other day on Direct2Drive, since it was 75% off (read, it was $5) and I burned through it. The game was awesome. In fact, it's only crime was being too short. It was one of the few games I've been able to pick up and play for 3 hours straight, and still be willing to play it the next day.

Anyways, I fully recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it. It's quite the sleeper hit, being a physics-based platformer that allows you to play as 3 separate characters, each with a unique power set, all of which are needed to beat the game, but still having puzzles that you can solve with any of the characters, depending on how you do it.

Yeah, it was great. The wizard was the most fun for me.

Oh, forgot to mention, the game is absolutely brimming with charm. Great graphics and a significant amount of humor (I loved the end :lol: ), coupled with the awesome gameplay make this game great.

I'm tempted to do a full review, it was so great.

Freshbite

Re: Trine

Post by Freshbite » Sat May 08, 2010 6:56 pm

*raises hand*

I sure have.
It was great fun, but it was remarkably demanding, graphically, which kind of ruined it a little for me.
I don't have anything against playing a game on "Low" graphic quality. But when it's on Low, and still has a low framerate, that shit bothers me.

But other than that, it was a great game, a solid recommendation for everyone.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sat May 08, 2010 7:03 pm

Yeah, I was able to run it on high graphics settings, which might have had a bit to do with that much, but I'm sure no one can deny the large amounts of charm the game exhibits anyways.

However, with how little I saw on it, even back when it came out (I can't even remember how I found out about it, to be honest), it's good to know others have enjoyed it too. :mrgreen:

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat May 08, 2010 7:14 pm

How is Trine indie? One of my teachers worked on it, and he has only mentioned it in professional, paid company work kind of sense.

Judging by the demo the gameplay was way too simplistic. It looked good, but that wasn't enough for me to consider buying it.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sat May 08, 2010 7:18 pm

Trine was developed by FrozenBytes, the guys that made ShadowGrounds. They just made a good game that got published by a big corporation (Southpeak). There's nothing wrong with that. Games developed by indie companies can be published by corporations, last I checked.

However, I don't see how you think gameplay is too simple. It gets pretty difficult past the first level or two.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat May 08, 2010 7:34 pm

Blorx wrote:Trine was developed by FrozenBytes, the guys that made ShadowGrounds. They just made a good game that got published by a big corporation (Southpeak). There's nothing wrong with that. Games developed by indie companies can be published by corporations, last I checked.
Yes, but what, exactly, makes it indie? They're a professional game developing company who have already published a few games. I found one comment (anonymous online commentator, so untrustworthy) mentioning that the company has about 20 employees. I'm not sure if that counts as indie. But then, "indie" is good PR these days, and I won't be telling them to stop using it for all its worth. :D
However, I don't see how you think gameplay is too simple. It gets pretty difficult past the first level or two.
It might have something to do with the fact that I judged it by the demo. Which only has about, oh, the first level, maybe two.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sat May 08, 2010 7:36 pm

Endoperez wrote: Yes, but what, exactly, makes it indie? They're a professional game developing company who have already published a few games. I found one comment mentioning that the company has about 20 employees. I'm not sure if that counts as indie. But then, "indie" is good PR these days, and I won't be telling them to stop using it for all its worth. :D
Yeah, actually, I double-checked and their downloadable versions are actually self-published, if that counts for anything. :lol:

I dunno, I've just always heard it referred to as indie. Never anything more or less.
Endoperez wrote: It might have something to do with the fact that I judged it by the demo. Which only has about, oh, the first level, maybe two.
I wasn't arguing. In fact, maybe it's a good thing it came off that way. Well-done problem solving with simple mechanics is usually what these kind of games strive for, no? :D

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Sat May 08, 2010 9:12 pm

Didn't really get into it, the game play was enjoyable enough, but I was immediately bored of the story the moment it divulged into cutscenes.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sat May 08, 2010 9:21 pm

Uberbeard wrote:Didn't really get into it, the game play was enjoyable enough, but I was immediately bored of the story the moment it divulged into cutscenes.
Cutscenes? The only cutscenes are at the beginning if I recall correctly. Everything else is just overdubs during the loading screen and some small chat at the beginning of each level.

I do admit that the story was pretty...one-sided, but the humor had it covered in my opinion.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Sat May 08, 2010 10:31 pm

Great game. Definitely interesting gameplay, though honestly I didn't find too many of the puzzles too challenging. The only hard parts were getting the green bottles, that's where a lot of the fun puzzles were.

I'll also mention that the soundtrack was just about the best I've ever heard for a game.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sat May 08, 2010 10:34 pm

TheBigCheese wrote:Great game. Definitely interesting gameplay, though honestly I didn't find too many of the puzzles too challenging. The only hard parts were getting the green bottles, that's where a lot of the fun puzzles were.
Yeah, I should have specified that. A lot of those were insanely difficult to get to if you didn't know what you were doing. Otherwise, it was a nicely set pace to cruise on through. :D
TheBigCheese wrote: I'll also mention that the soundtrack was just about the best I've ever heard for a game.
Agreed. As much as I hated the last level (I died so many times due to stupid mistakes), I loved the BGM.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sat May 08, 2010 10:50 pm

Tried it. Briefly.

The wizard character completely breaks the game right from the start. He can conjure up physics-enabled cubes. It allows the player to bypass numerous puzzles. Cliff in your way? Stack up some cubes and hop right on up. Spiked pit? Fill it with cubes and stroll across. You get the idea.
I read in a review that later on he even gets the ability to create floating platforms, which would utterly shatter the already broken level design.

Oh yeah, and the narrator has an excruciatingly condescending voice. The kind of voice you would use when reading a story book to a class of recently concussed three year olds.

TadMod

Post by TadMod » Sun May 09, 2010 4:58 am

I bought it. I loved it.

Some of the puzzles were very clever, however, the last level was a bit of a kick in the nads.

But Still, I'd recommend it for $7, no more however. It's too short for that.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun May 09, 2010 2:47 pm

The Lost Vikings with magic?

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun May 09, 2010 2:52 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:The Lost Vikings with magic?
Not quite...though I am a fan of the Lost Vikings, as well. :mrgreen: