Red Dead Redemption

Anything else
Freshbite

Re: Red Dead Redemption

Post by Freshbite » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:36 pm

Here's a review of the game by Zero Punctuation.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... Redemption

It's funny because it's true.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:24 pm

Lol I've been waiting for that.

Anyway, the gripe about there being auto-aiming doesn't really hold since you can switch the aiming system to Expert, which is ridiculously fucking difficult. Try shooting some dude while you and him are riding horses at varying angles to each other with no auto-aim. It's actually quite fun/difficult.

I did think the fact you're not able to swim is a bit stupid.

Nevertheless, he admitted the game was engrossing and that he played it for hours. That's a positive review in Yahtzee's case.

Ben, we should posse up in multiplayer some day. It's loads of fun chasing people around and spawn-killing them.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:43 pm

I don't actually have Red Dead Redemption. A friend of mine brought it over and we were messing around with it. We decided that its amusing to play, but boring to watch, so he hasn't brought it over again.

...and the Stranger missions piss me off. Some guy comes up to me wanting to know if I would give him a lift to town. He then proceeds to knock me off my horse and tries to run off with it. So I pull out my revolver and plug him repeatedly...this seems reasonable, no? Some guy, trying to steal your horse...but no...the game decides to put a Bounty on my head, take away Fame, and then locks me out of more Stranger missions for a while because they're now afraid of me. Honestly, what the fuck?

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:14 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:I did think the fact you're not able to swim is a bit stupid.
Yeah, I found it odd that he didn't bring that up.
NixiePixel leaves her thoughts on the topic.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:25 pm

I don't remember a Stranger mission where someone knocks you off your horse...there's plenty of randomly-occurring events where someone will stop you and ask for help and then knock you off your horse and call you a sucker, but then I go into Dead-Eye and pop them in the back of the head I never got any negative Honour.

And you can't get negative Fame, Fame can only increase. You probably mean Honour.

I think it would be hilarious if when someone was stealing your horse you could just whistle for your horse and it would come running back.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:48 pm

That would be very awkward for the would-be horse thief. Of course, it would be cooler if whistling caused your horse to stop, buck the thief off their back, and proceed to begin kicking them repeatedly in the face.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:56 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:I don't remember a Stranger mission where someone knocks you off your horse...there's plenty of randomly-occurring events where someone will stop you and ask for help and then knock you off your horse and call you a sucker, but then I go into Dead-Eye and pop them in the back of the head I never got any negative Honour.

And you can't get negative Fame, Fame can only increase. You probably mean Honour.

I think it would be hilarious if when someone was stealing your horse you could just whistle for your horse and it would come running back.
Yeah, my bad, I meant Honor. But it was weird, I lost Honor for killing him, then no Strangers wanted to come near me for a while.

I also lost Honor when three guys come riding into town shooting and then one of them tried to kill me so I blew his head off, and the game punished me for it. They weren't even bounty hunters, they were shooting at everyone.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:00 am

There's something wrong with your game. You're supposed to be able to kill those people with no Honour-based repurcussions. In my game if 4 cowboys come riding into town shooting the place up I just take them all out in one Dead-Eye burst with no negative repurcussions. I actually get +50 Fame and I think positive Honour too.

Although there was one time when I accidentally shot an extra guy on a horse because I thought he was with them, but he was actually just some innocent bystander who happened to be riding in the same direction. Wrong place at the wrong time much. Hahaha.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:13 pm

Maybe I lost Honor because I shot him in the back because he was running away.

shadow717

Post by shadow717 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:14 am

You don't loose honor for shooting people in the back.

Ren: The CO-Op mission pack comes out the 22nd. for free. The second it does me and my friends are going to make an eight man posse and fuck things up.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:49 am

I dunno then, maybe the AI was just being wonky. He was pointing a gun at me, he fired at me a few times, what am I supposed to think?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:54 pm

shadow717 wrote:You don't loose honor for shooting people in the back.

Ren: The CO-Op mission pack comes out the 22nd. for free. The second it does me and my friends are going to make an eight man posse and fuck things up.
Posses are neat. You on 360? I love fucking shit up in posses, especially other posses.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:29 am

"Neat"?! Dude, 1943 called, they said they want their word back! :?

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:39 am

zoidberg rules wrote:"Neat"?! Dude, 1943 called, they said they want their word back! :?
Neato, neateriffic, neatastic.

matteumayo

Post by matteumayo » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:30 pm

Grayswandir wrote:
zoidberg rules wrote:"Neat"?! Dude, 1943 called, they said they want their word back! :?
Neato, neateriffic, neatastic.

Wat.