School and summer holidays

Anything else
Endoperez

School and summer holidays

Post by Endoperez » Tue May 18, 2010 5:40 am

I'm so busy in school I just fell asleep as soon as I came from school. Last Thursday was a holiday in Finland and many schools were closed on Friday, too, but I was on school all Thursday, Friday AND Sunday. And on Saturday, I moved from one apartment to another. And it wasn't just 6-7 hours either; on Sunday I was in school from 12.30 (near noon) to about 21.00.

We're having a final week or so of an international project, so a group of Finns, Estonians and Icelanders are trying to finish everything we got done last summer in Estonia and last winter in Iceland. I'm mostly trying to help everyone else have their stuff done in time. We need to have the comic books ready for printing very soon, do more paper doll animations, composite several of them together into scenes with watercolour backgrounds in After Effects, and we haven't even started moving them out to Premiere for the sound work... Also the documentary and the webpage, but I only have to write a little about the origins of some mythological beings and creatures for those. And the interviews, but I'm not the one doing those.

And after all that's done or we run out of time, I can return to the game project, which we have to finish and publicly show in, oh, around the end of the month. So far we only have one boss working and only one level both working and looking good. Most animations are done (the third boss was being worked on last I saw it) and all three levels (each divided into two parts + boss fight) are either working or looking good, but there's either tidying and effects OR scripting missing from them.

And when school ends on early June, I'm going to stay in school without teachers to work on my texturing and rendering skills, with the goal of being able to do good-looking, pretty or cool things when school starts again. You know, a scene instead of a picture of a hammer, or an ancient hammer of magical powers instead of a hammer. GOOD pictures, quality models. Stuff that wouldn't be too out-of-place in professional works. And that takes approximately seven weeks of my June and July holidays. The eight week? Refresher training. With luck, I'll be running around lugging 200 kilos of equipment through hot, steam forests full of bugs and mosquitoes after my blood and flesh, and full of people who, for the last six to twelve months, have been taught to make it hard for me. With BAD luck, I'll be doing the same in rain and thunderstorms, crawling through mud in wet and dirty clothes and standing watch without being allowed to use fires because "the enemy" is somewhere close by.

So, yeah, how's school for you guys, and do any of you have anything interesting planned for summer? :lol: :mrgreen:

P.S.Writing this post took one-and-a-half, maybe two hours. Or so. In between, I had to convert a video into an image sequence, discuss movie transitions, teach After Effect basics, try to explain in English why the printer isn't running out of ink even though it looks like it is, and crawl under a few tables to open windows because it's so hot in here, and transfer files between various computers using my USB sticks, and explain to teachers where they'll be needed next, and some other stuff.

zoidberg rules

Re: School and summer holidays

Post by zoidberg rules » Tue May 18, 2010 10:33 am

Wow, and I thought we had it bad cos we just started our exams, but no seriously, we had a two hour exam today for half a GCSE. Boringest damn thing I have ever done in my entire life!

summary, School's boring for me, dunno about the rest of you.

cameleopard42

Post by cameleopard42 » Tue May 18, 2010 5:26 pm

I had an AP exam for Human Geography on Friday. I made a pie.
Not much planned for the summer, but next year, I'll be going to a Governor's School in the morning for computer science classes, so hopefully, I'll be able to start making my own games.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed May 19, 2010 1:47 am

cameleopard42 wrote:I had an AP exam for Human Geography on Friday. I made a pie.
Not much planned for the summer, but next year, I'll be going to a Governor's School in the morning for computer science classes, so hopefully, I'll be able to start making my own games.
You should start learning skills that would be useful when you start making games. You could start doing that this summer, even. Drawing, painting, sculpting or 3D modeling will teach you about visuals, art and such, which will be useful regardless of if you're just making levels or doing assets for your game as well.
If you're more interested in scripting and programming, you could start with something simple, or by looking through Overgrowth script files, or by downloading Unity 3D and making cubes move.

Early bird catches the worm and all that.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Wed May 19, 2010 9:30 am

Ahh yes, but the second mouse gets the cheese. :)

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed May 19, 2010 2:13 pm

Finished semester 2 exams of my 3rd year in Legal Studies on the 14th of May. Oh yeah motherfuckerrrr. Awesome.

Summer hasn't started so well. Me and my girlfriend and her/our friends were going out in Dublin and we left her bag in a taxi by accident. It had her ATM card, her student ID, all of her make-up, her Sony Walkman MP3, her ear-rings, our tickets to an end of year ball and other stuff. Shitty.

Gifted

Post by Gifted » Wed May 19, 2010 4:53 pm

I went to school for two semesters and decided I would never go again. School's not for me. There are enough ways to make a living without school that it seems pointless to pay an asston of money to learn what you could learn online for free.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Thu May 20, 2010 10:36 am

Meh, each to their own, if anybody remembers memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13114 that guy, yeah?? Well, anyway, he did a similar thing, we started off our last year in school with him having an argument with our tutor teacher, culminating in him calling said teacher, and I quote, a
ginger a**hole
and telling him to
go f**k himself
Naturally, the teacher didn't like that, and after a bit more shouting, my friend stormed out of school, and hasn't returned for a full day since. But he is still returning for his exams, which I think he's doing well in, which is surprising, since he hasn't done a full lesson in most of these subjects yet this year. :?

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Fri May 21, 2010 4:38 am

This is hopefully my last semester.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat May 29, 2010 9:52 am

Bah, it seems like nobody is interested in school. I wonder why? :lol:

Any way, I've got the international project wrapped away (the comics are going to print and the animations have been completed in here, now we just need to send 30 gigas of raw material to Iceland).

The school game project is also wrapping up quite well. We have a few levels that mostly work, even though you can't move between levels yet. We have one working boss monster. We still have a bunch of features (like audio) that only work in branched-out versions, but it should be relatively straightforward to put those together, and we still have a week. We might not be able to fine-tune the controls and the difficulty, though. What use is a game that's not fun? :evil: I'll provide links once it's up somewhere, since I'm sure everybody here is SOOO interested in a badly balanced, cliched platformer game some students made with Unity. 8)

I also wrote some contracts yesterday, and starting in June, if I find someone willing to pay for something I can do, I can work and get paid, all legal, with a middle-person doing all the paperwork. Nice!

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Sat May 29, 2010 5:03 pm

Endoperez wrote:I'll provide links once it's up somewhere, since I'm sure everybody here is SOOO interested in a badly balanced, cliched platformer game some students made with Unity.
*raises hand*
Endoperez wrote:I can work and get paid, all legal, with a middle-person doing all the paperwork. Nice!
What, exactly, is it that you do for money?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun May 30, 2010 2:42 am

Freshbite wrote:What, exactly, is it that you do for money?
Nothing art-related as of yet. :? I can model, but not texture, and even though I think I'm pretty decent at modeling I'm not great. I don't think many people would want to pay for untextured models... I'm dedicating June for learning to texture, and July for making good renders, so hopefully I can start doing commissions in the autumn, perhaps even late summer. Architectural renders of houses, say.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Sun May 30, 2010 11:50 am

Guhh, I have three finals on Tuesday. Two of them I want to die, and one of them is going to beas easy as pissing. English and French make me want to kill something. Especially since our French teacher didn't really teach us anything.

On a good note though, I got a 100 on my final project in VB. He's the toughest motherfucker I've ever had as a teacher. I'm not really looking foreward to his final though, he said that nobody has ever finished it. I just hope it doesn't involve case statements.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Sun May 30, 2010 2:05 pm

Sandurz wrote:... and one of them is going to beas easy as pissing.
Pissing is easy. Pissing without fucking up is an art-form. I like art.