Zero Punctuation

Anything else
Ragdollmaster

Zero Punctuation

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun May 30, 2010 12:30 pm

So I know that a handful of us already know about ZP (Renegade_Turner, zoidberg, Freshbite, anyone I may have forgotten) but this thread is to inform those of you who do not. In short, you will never complete your life, but you can get damn close by watching Zero Punctuation.

->ohno<-

Basically it's a game review series starring an ultra-critical British-born Australian nicknamed Yahtzee (don't forget it rhymes with Nazi etc), and it's quite comical to say the least. Yahztee's reviews usually have some kind of special style about them (eg he reviewed Wolfenstein through a 4 minute long limerick) and even those that are just in the typical style are still funny, and they're also informative. Although there are pretty much no games that get past him without being butchered up in front of your eyes and his reviews seem overly harsh, he does highlight the good about a lot of games you may not know about or hold in a low regard.

I won't recommend any videos because recommendations are for sheep. Go and watch them all.

Freshbite

Re: Zero Punctuation

Post by Freshbite » Sun May 30, 2010 2:15 pm

Typical Keywords used throughout the series:

Fuck
Cocks
Dumb
Balls
Dicks
Shit
Retarded
Cunt -- as requested by Zhukov

Just a heads up.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sun May 30, 2010 3:45 pm

Ah yes, good old Yahtzee.

When I first found out about Zero Punctuation I went on a huge archive binge. They're hilarious. I laughed till my stomach hurt.

It's nice to see someone who gives a shit about games but at the same time isn't afraid to rip into them when they don't make the grade, which is usually. I tend to agree with a lot of what he says.

Incidentally, he also writes a weekly column called Extra Punctuation. It's usually pretty interesting, although not as funny.

Also...
Freshbite wrote:Typical Keywords used throughout the series:
You forgot "cunt".

Freshbite

Re:

Post by Freshbite » Sun May 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Zhukov wrote:You forgot "cunt".
Duly noted.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re:

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun May 30, 2010 4:47 pm

Zhukov wrote:When I first found out about Zero Punctuation I went on a huge archive binge. They're hilarious. I laughed till my stomach hurt.
So did I. Still haven't watched them all, but all of the ones where I have played the game previously. In fact, it is his mockery of games which I love which I most found hilarious, because the flaws he pointed out were all flaws which I myself had noted beforehand but he was able to say in a much funnier way. As with Bioshock, Halo 3, Fallout 3.

WallyWorld

Post by WallyWorld » Mon May 31, 2010 11:35 am

I always check back for his new videos, and they never fail to make me burst out laughing after about 30 seconds. I think I probably spent the entire day looking through the archives when I first found out about him.

invertin

Post by invertin » Mon May 31, 2010 5:30 pm

I used to watch them religiously, but at some point I stopped. Either our opinions clashed at some point, or I simply didn't find him funny anymore. Either way I'm not going back.

Dudeman

Post by Dudeman » Mon May 31, 2010 6:55 pm

Haha,

"On the whole though, it will never be as much fun as tonguing another mans' balls-I mean, as it used to be.

...I'm not gay"

Teh Lang

Post by Teh Lang » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:03 am

He doesn't seem to be anything of my style.

-L

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:24 am

"It just goes to show, never stick your dick in a pudding. It might still be good pudding, and you can spend all afternoon explaining that, but nobody's going to eat it, because you stuck your dick in it."

That line never fails to cheer me up.

And yes, it does make sense in context,

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:38 am

Hahaha, I remember that one. Which one's that from?

On Painkiller:

"It shoots shurikens and lightning, it could only be more awesome if it had tits and was on fire."

"So here’s Too Human, a game Silicon Knights have been making instead of Eternal Darkness 2, possibly out of a crippling fear of money and success."

"Even though I’ve never played the NES original, I can tell that Rearmed is an utterly faithful remake because it’s console-stompingly frustrating! Which brings me to the first counterpoint of nostalgia, that the majority of obsolete retro gaming tropes died out for a good fucking reason! The lives system seems like a good place to start. Lives are a hold over from the old days of arcade gaming when each one symbolized another shiny coin to be begged and whined for from your unfeeling mum. They were made obsolete when it was realized that it made for better home entertainment when any player could finish a game rather than just the obsessive psychotic ones."

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:38 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:Hahaha, I remember that one. Which one's that from?
Prince of Persia Retrospective. Regarding the tonal shift from Sands of Time to Warrior Within.

(Link)

Spinnacre

Post by Spinnacre » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:00 pm

Thanks for pointing him out guys, I've watched plenty of his videos today.
Things I have noticed so far.
  • He uses three cunted hookers as a metaphor for plenty of things.
  • Alan Wake is an anagram for Anal Leak. (If you replace the W with an L)
  • Halo is a competent shooter (Thanks RT)
Last edited by Spinnacre on Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:07 pm

Actually you completely got his opinion on Halo 3 wrong.

"Let me qualify my statements by saying that Halo 3 is by no means bad. What it is is average, boiler-plate, run of the mill. A competent shooter, its only remarkable being the degree to which it's stuck up its own arse."

Spinnacre

Post by Spinnacre » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:10 pm

My mistake.