Web-sites for noobs

Anything else
Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Web-sites for noobs

Post by Wilbefast » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:31 am

Erk - help :shock:

Alright so I've been offered the free webspace to host my blog on, which is really cool. Trouble is I have no idea how to put my website on the server. Something tells me - ftp? I've just never done this before: how does this all actually work? I have to set it up myself so ... :|

Freshbite

Re: Web-sites for noobs

Post by Freshbite » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:35 pm

Working with FTP is easy.
Download a free FTP program, or the trial of a purchasable one and I'll try making a tutorial for you.

I'll go with Classic FTP.

Classic FTP wrote:System Requirements

Works on Windows Vista 2000/XP/2008 and Windows 7
Mac OS X 10.2 or later
Windows CE, Pocket PC 2003, Windows Mobile 5, Windows Mobile 6

1. Install and Open Classic FTP.
2. Click "File", "Connect", "New Site ... "

3. In "Label", enter any name for the site.
4. In "FTP Server", enter the server Hostname or IP provided by the hostsite.
5. In "User Name", enter the Username for getting access to the FTP Server.
6. In "Password", same for the Password.

Points 5 and 6 can be the Username and Password you use to get access to the "Administration Panel", or the equivalent. However, you should find this on the hostsite you registered your website on.

When done, it could look something like this:

7. Test your FTP Settings

8. Correct mistakes, if any.
9. Press Connect, and the name of the website you added.

10. Type in your Username and Password and press Ok.

11. In the Left field, locate the folder which contains the files which are to be uploaded.
It should contain a file called "index.html".

12. Select all files which you want to be uploaded and click on
"Upload the selected file (Ctrl + U)".

13. After it has uploaded all your files, locate the website in your browser to confirm it's existence, the website should open the "index.html" automaticly.

14. Disconnect if you'd like to connect to another host and repeat from Step 2 or just Exit the window.

15. You're done, congratulations.

Side notes:

Keep all the files on your harddrive at all times, it's much easier to upload the site as a whole than it is to just upload single files.

Yes, the website used as an example actually exists. I used it as a school-project and it is hosted on our school's webhost. It can be located HERE.

I hope I wasn't too late to help you with this.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:57 pm

Hey hey! You sir are a brick :D

(that's a compliment - from, like, the 1800s)

"Classic FTP" doesn't run on Linux, but I'm smart enough to apply the tutorial to something similar (especially since just about everything on Linux is a clone). Thanks mightily :mrgreen:

Oh, by the way, I managed to access your secret area on your website :P
It said enter "the password" so I typed in "the password" and felt very clever. Then I realised that anything would work :oops:

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:04 pm

That's great to hear! You're most welcome.

About that flash clip, I once had the feature to only gain access if a specific word was typed, but I forgot to tell our teacher what it was so he never got to see what else I had done with it. I later removed the password restriction so that anyone could gain access to it.

By the way, I'm glad to hear that what I learned in that class weren't to no avail, hehe.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:41 am

Am I the only one who noticed that you've got like 20 tabs open?!

Holy crap dude!

BlackHole

Post by BlackHole » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:32 pm

What's wrong with that. As long you can keep up with it yourself, it's fine. ^^

- Black
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:19 pm

I like to open all updated threads in one go and then just close them with Ctrl + F4 when I'm done with them. When the last one is closed I open the Main Forum link again and repeat the procedure.

This thread just happened to be one of the first I opened at the time.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:34 am

Fair enough, it just seemed a bit much, but now you've explained it, it makes sense...

Wilbefast

Post by Wilbefast » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:15 am

Ta-da!

http://wilbefast.com/

Coming soon: the actual bloggy thing :)

edit: wow, that was a lot easier than I though it'd be :D Cheers Freshbite - I managed to set up:
- Wordpress
- Blog (import)
- Disqus
- Youtube embedding
- CSS style (import)

So it's pretty much done :)

Radu

Post by Radu » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:30 am

I really like your site Will :)
You guys can also use Filezilla for FTP

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:34 am

I told you it was easy =]
It looks really nice, too.

Wilbefast

Post by Wilbefast » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:17 am

Yeah - I used Filezilla to move the stuff over. Simpler than the command line I can tell you :P

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:10 am

Sooo...

I've mentioned the game project my class was making? It's been done for a while now.

I made a website for it, too. However, the teachers seem to have left for their summer holidays before they put the site up anywhere. :roll:

I'd rather not waste the few days it took for me to get the site (mostly) working, so I'd appreciate little help here.

1) Where could I find hosting for a simple site, that includes enough space to let X people download the game too?
2) The site will move to different servers in a few months.

There are Win and Mac versions of the game, both below 70 MB zipped. That doesn't sound like much, but even 100 downloads would be 7 GB... And with 15+ people working on it, and the possibility of some people downloading it for both platforms or several times on different computers, it's possible. And while it's also possible that it becomes an internet phenomenom, I'd prefer a bandwidth cap to extra fees because these fees come out of my pocket.

Once the school starts again I can tell the teachers to have it on the school's own servers, so I only need to have the space for 2-3 months. I'm willing to pay a little forthe site, if necessary, but I have to pay it up-front with no risk of extra fees afterwards, as I'm on a tight budget. Custom domain would be fantastic, but I have no idea how much those would cost or if they come with the hosting - and if the domain is linked to the hosting, wouldn't that mean it stops working when the site is transferred to school servers?

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:13 am

Honestly, I'd just host the game on Mediafire, and then link it on the site. That way you could get cheap/free hosting like Webs.com and not have to worry about space limitations.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:23 am

Blorx wrote:Honestly, I'd just host the game on Mediafire, and then link it on the site. That way you could get cheap/free hosting like Webs.com and not have to worry about space limitations.
Mediafire is out, in this case. I'm looking to get either a training position or a real job this autumn. This game and site are the closest thing to a portfolio I have ATM, because I don't have enough renders to put up my actual portfolio site.

Thanks for the quick reply though.