Web-sites for noobs

Anything else
Endoperez

Re: Web-sites for noobs

Post by Endoperez » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:01 am

I just heard from a teacher that he plans to pay a quick visit the school sometime this week, so he'd have a chance to put the site up then. So the site might actually go up to the school servers as originally planned. Knock the wood...

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:10 am

Best place to host game files would be moddb, no question. Mediafire has annoying ads everywhere and sometimes doesn't work. As for hosting the site, well, I use Pruhosting and it seems already to be a lot faster than Worpress.org. Haven't used any other servers though so I couldn't tell you :?

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:51 pm

Endoperez wrote:[text]

When I made some websites before, I used "Freewebhostingarea.com".
It was great and all, but you have one annoying ad which you can pay a one-time payment to get rid of.

Features:
- long time running company - we offer free hosting from 2005 without interruption (orgfree.com, 6te.net, ueuo.com).
- your account will never expire; you can host your site for free as long as you wish (minimum 1 hit/month required);
- fast hosting on quad-processor servers with minimum 8 GB of RAM up to 24 GB of RAM;
- free web space - up to 1500MB with 12 MB file size limit; ALL files allowed for upload; no limit for number of files/inodes;
- unmetered traffic;
- daily/weekly backups on external source - peace in mind as your files will never be lost;
- absolutely no ads for low traffic sites;
- all countries/languages allowed;

- free php5 hosting - (latest stable 5.2.13) with mail() active, GD2 library, php curl, php magickwand
(support for ImageMagick), php sockets, php xml, xsl, php soap, php pdo -- see default php variables;
- possibility to turn on/off php variables like register_globals;
- safe_mode off (automatically configured few hours after account creation);
- Zend Optimizer and Ioncube loader support;

- free MySQL 5 database (latest stable 5.1.46) - size not metered!!
- phpMyAdmin preinstalled; one click database backup; one click database import;
- unlimited accounts/databases allowed (database number per account is limited, but you can create more accounts);

- account manager - tool to change account details, File Manager (WYSIWYG File Editor, FTP client - browser based, tool to set file permissions, to create directories, to create files, tool for renaming, zip/unzip utility and more).
- one click autoinstaller (free forum, blog): Joomla, phpBB3, SMF, WordPress, Drupal, Mambo;
- mod_rewrite enabled (apache 2.2); full dot files support (.htpasswd, .htaccess - posibility to set custom error pages, to block unwanted ips/sites, to turn on/off indexes etc. etc.);
- possibility to reset account, to fix ownership;
- predefined customizable error pages 403.html, 404.html;
- full FTP support, web-ftp application available;
- SSI support (Server Side Includes - .shtml);
- instant activation - registration process is automatic - you will be able to access your new account in minutes;
- FREE 24/7 Technical Support;
- full email support (pop/imap) and unlimited subdomains subdomain.yourdomain.com for domain owners. Check email tutorial.

Only thing that I'm concerned of is the 12 MB file size limit. That might be a problem.

iLag

Post by iLag » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:11 am

I highly recommend hosting the game on filefront.com. You'll have to find a different host for the site, however, and I'm not up to date on what the good free web hosts are.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:41 pm

iLag wrote:I highly recommend hosting the game on filefront.com. You'll have to find a different host for the site, however, and I'm not up to date on what the good free web hosts are.
I bought space from a webhotel with 10GB/month limit. It was only 33 € a year, and a domain was included, and it took just a couple of hours to get the site running after payment. The game is now up at http://www.goblinsgreed.com/goblinenglish.html, and I made a thread, but it looks like no one is interested.

Also, obviously the site was put up to school servers today. No news for a week, I ask one more time to make sure I won't be wasting the money, and STILL. :?

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:43 am

Indiedb.com has been launched :D

Joygasm!