Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Anything else
Freshbite

Re: Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Post by Freshbite » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:33 am

Is the client retail (legally purchased and installed as the original version released by the official developers that has not been changed by any unauthorized personnel in any way) ?
...................................||
............._______________________________
............/..................................................\
..........Yes?...............................................No?
...........|...................................................|
Refer to the developers website.........Refer to the person/website where you downloaded
I'm sure they have a forum, too.........your client, check the comments / information for any
................................................hints. I'm sure there's more people that has the same
................................................problem as you do.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:22 am

Amnesia is pretty good. Seems to be successful as well, which is something I always wanted for Frictional because the guys kick ass.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:01 pm

You'll like this.

He doesn't rave about it, but he pays it its fair share of compliments, as I imagined he would do. Yahtzee's such a whore for these kinds of games.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:59 am

Yeah, I just got done watching that. Affirmation feels nice. Heh.

Seriously though. I'm glad he liked it. After all, Amnesia was produced by just five guys plus a few contractors (sound familiar?) without the financial support of a publisher. And they managed to put together something several orders of magnituide better then most of the stuff made by the big studios. Those guys deserve some exposure.

I actually sent Yahtzee an e-mail reccommending the game. And judging by the viewer comments on his video, so did several other people. Hooray for word-of-mouth.

EDIT: And thou shall witness the death of many a typo by mine righteous hands.
Last edited by Zhukov on Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:57 am

I genuinely don't think Yahtzee pays attention to requests. In fact, I think the more requests he gets to review a game, the less likely he is to do so.

But yeah, I can appreciate what Frictional have done with Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Games like Alone In The Dark have kind of lost their way.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:45 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:I genuinely don't think Yahtzee pays attention to requests. In fact, I think the more requests he gets to review a game, the less likely he is to do so.
Hm. Probably. He does seem like the type. Although there was that one time with Borderlands...

On a mostly unrelated note, someone linked me to a youtube video of Amnesia reactions. It's solid gold.

To those of you who have yet to experience the game, this should lend some... context to my previous comments. Specifically, the comments along the lines of "brick-shittingly terrifying".

I think one of these guys was about to cry.

Heheheh...

TadMod

Post by TadMod » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:20 am

OMFG, LOL @ THE VID!!

Love the last 2! XD The shovel guy had me crying with laughter, lol!

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:37 pm

I will NEVER play this game. (alone)
Would make a great "I-dare-ya" game to challenge my intoxicated friends, though.

Dudeman

Post by Dudeman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:59 pm

Freshbite wrote:I will NEVER play this game. (alone)
Would make a great "I-dare-ya" game to challenge my intoxicated friends, though.
C'mon, I played this alone, and only crapped myself once.

...Okay, twice. But that's not the point.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:40 pm

No, you do not understand.

I suffer from an incredibly lethal sickness, called scaridus mortalus.
If something startles me, I can possibly die.

Not really, though. I'm just that much of a wuss.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:52 pm

I like games where I can hide in the shadows, but not when I've no way of making things dead.

Dudeman

Post by Dudeman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:38 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:I like games where I can hide in the shadows, but not when I've no way of making things dead.
Hmmm.. You ever played Metro 2033? I heard the stealth in that is quite good.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:50 pm

Yeah, I played, loved, and completed it. Great game. I love all games like Deus Ex, Metro 2033, Thief Deadly Shadows. All good stuff, FPS with stealth tactics works very well I think.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:14 pm

Stealth games, ye say?

Splinter Cell is a moderately good stealth series. Some of the earlier games are a bit awkward, but they're pretty balanced (ie the average grunt can kick your ass and splatter the remains all over the walls if you get spotted) in terms of how important stealth is, and once you get used to it, the game plays out pretty logically and easily. There are still some shooter sections in there, though.

Also; Manhunt. Stealth is extremely important in there. Without any weapons (or even WITH weapons) you may not survive a two-on-one fight. Stealthy executions are key to succeeding.

Hitman series is also pretty good but it definitely tests your patience at times. Still quote fun.

I've also heard about a game called Tenchu: Stealth Assassins for the PSX, it was a ninja assassination game of sorts, but I can't attest to its quality (or lack thereof) since I haven't actually played it.

And of course, need I say, the MGS series, but the stealth element within the series has become rather negligible once you get good enough to accidentally all of the enemies without much trouble. It's still a bit of a challenge to play through any of the games on their highest "Extreme" difficulties, though, which definitely encourage stealth over combat.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:25 pm

Manhunt was shit, Splinter Cell was okay, Hitman was moderately fun but frustrating at times, Tenchu was pretty fun and was one of my childhood games but the latest additions are pretty awful. Metal Gear Solid is just brilliant. I don't think any of them have come close to the awesome of the first one. In fact, I think they've gotten worse as they've went along.

Another stealth game which you wouldn't consider a stealth game is SWAT 4. It's all about taking the enemy by surprise and springing out at just the right moment.