Do you still play old games?

Anything else
Untadaike

Re: Do you still play old games?

Post by Untadaike » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:39 am

Endoperez wrote:.... Oh, and Baldur's Gate 1 and 2....
Baldur's Gate is most likely the best computer-based RPG ever created.

Definitely not going to out-old anyone, but here's my 2¢:

I play/have played DooMLegacy, Wolfenstein, Indiana Jones & the Emperor's Tomb, Majesty, Battlefront 1, Civilization II, Sauerbraten, Age of Empires 2, Jedi Academy, KotOR 1, Half-Life 1, Space Trader. By the way, I did some testing for Merchant Marine a while back but Hermitworks Entertainment fell through or something and it's nigh impossible to get a copy of the game, let alone contact Cameron Tofer anymore. Anyone know what happened to them?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:26 pm

Untadaike wrote:
Endoperez wrote:.... Oh, and Baldur's Gate 1 and 2....
Baldur's Gate is most likely the best computer-based RPG ever created.
If you meant 1, it's pretty lackluster IMO. the plot failed to keep me interested, and the inter-party character bantering was done much better in other games using the engine. Both Baldur's Gates have been sitting forgotten on my hard drive for a rather long time, despite me having installed mods including Tutu and fullscreen and increased resolution etc. Even Temple of Elemental Evil kept me more entertained, even though the plot was just a bland rail to guide the player towards the next battle and there was almost no characterization at all.

Planescape: Torment, by comparison, kept me interested all the way through, including in the beginning.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:21 am

I've never played the original Baldur's Gate games, though I have played the "side story" game Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (1 and 2). That was like, the best game ever.

When I got my Xbox (Original) chipped and with a custom harddrive, I had like 100+ games.

No other game was as fun as BG:DA though. We played that game in Co-Op for days in a row.
When we finished it, we just played it through again, with all the weapons and armor we had from our last playthrough. So epic.

Hell, if anyone asks me if I've played a Baldur's Gate game, I say Yes, even though they are not often regarded as a part of the Baldur's Gate series.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:34 am

Baldur's Gate 1 had this tendency of trying to kill you off right from the start...and the mine dungeon was horrible. Otherwise, beyond the game trying to crush your face in, the game was decent. Baldur's Gate II had a long, drawn-out, and boring beginning, but got better once you finally got out of the first dungeon (This is one reason why I never actually finished that "Let's Play" I was trying to do...the first area is dull). You also started at a decent enough level that the enemies posed a good challenge but couldn't wipe the floor with your ill-equipped face unless you were unlucky (you still wanted to SCUMM-save, but it wasn't ridiculous). There wasn't that time-limited, instant death, unavoidable quest from the first game either.

Radu

Post by Radu » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:38 am

Gothic I
Gothic II
Gothic II
Gothic II
Gothic II
Diablo
Diablo II
FFVII
Duke Nukem
Duke Nukem
Gothic II
Half-Life x over 9000

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:08 pm

Radu wrote:Gothic I
Gothic II
Gothic II
Gothic II
Gothic II
Diablo
Diablo II
FFVII
Duke Nukem
Duke Nukem
Gothic II
Half-Life x over 9000
Duke Nukem games aren't that great as far as platformers go. I'm not a big fan of the action platformer genre though.
I've only tried Gothic 3 out of that series. It wasn't impressive at all but I hear that's what fans of the series think as well. Diablo was worse than many roguelikes I've played, but I haven't tried 2.

I haven't played any HL or FF games.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:50 pm

I just bought a bunch of games off of sales on GOG.com recently, as well as playing the freebies they hand out. That good enough?

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:53 am

Game Boy COLOUR!: Pokemon Blue, Pokemon Pinball (Bit iffy at times but overall pretty good)

PS2: Anything and everything really, I was playing my PS2 for a while, then I got Reach, and it got consigned to the cupboard in my room somewhere.

Nekros22

Post by Nekros22 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:03 pm

I still break out Lego Rock Raiders from time to time.

Diablo, Warcraft III, the first Black and White, and the first Fable are more recent additions.

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are undoubtedly some of the best games ever made.

System Shock, Doom (so much fun), Quake, Sonic the Hedgehog, Mario...

Kestril

Post by Kestril » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:08 am

I've got some of you beat as far as oldness goes. I still have a complete genisis that I play from time to time.

Genisis:
The whole Sonic the Hedgehog Series, besides sonic spinball.
Shining force 2.-- Like the Fire emblem before Fire Emblem!
Gemfire
Mortal Kombat
Street fighter 2.

PS2-
Shadow of the Colossus.
Jak 1 to Jak 3
Ace combat 4, 5 and zero.

That sums up my favorite oldies.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:21 pm

I just realised, am I the only one who finds it wierd that we refer to the PS2 games as "old", when they still release games onto it, not exclusive admittedly, but still...

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:51 am

zoidberg rules wrote:I just realised, am I the only one who finds it wierd that we refer to the PS2 games as "old", when they still release games onto it, not exclusive admittedly, but still...
I thought that was strange at first, but then I realised that people older than me probably find it weird that I refer to Windows games and games released on CDs as "old".

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:56 am

I've been finding tons of people's ideas of "old" weird. like someone called the new prince of persias (sands of time) old and I was like "What the hell? those aren't old they're three dimensional and for the xbox!" granted I think other three dimensional games are old and all but still. also shining force was so awesome, I used to play that all the time on the sega mega pack cd's that my friend got me for like my tenth birthday.

Lord_of_Sausage

Post by Lord_of_Sausage » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:13 am

PS1

Rayman (Raymaaaaan save usszzz, good ol 2d platforming)

Theme Park World (I don't know, sometimes, you just can't leave the controler)

Rollcage (First real racing game i played)

Crash Bandicoot (Can't forget this one)

oh yes... Rayman...

Also, Lego rock Raiders were fucking awesome.

azion

Post by azion » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:22 pm

Honestly, in my opinion, its nothing more than an expansion pack for MW2.

Dear azion,

Nice Try.

Sincerely,
The Management