Anyone for Jam?

Anything else
User avatar
Wilbefast
Posts: 1204
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:32 pm
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence
Contact:

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Wilbefast » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:06 am

Uberbeard wrote:
Wilbefast wrote:Good point. I'm practically a normal person in real life (I'm a "closet" geek). I might not fit in with those geeks who have truly embraced their geekiness :?
I find the geeks who can't quite come to terms with it are the more awkward brand.
I prefer to think of myself as more like Batman.

Student by day, indie developer by night! Shazam :mrgreen:

User avatar
Uberbeard
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:07 pm
Location: Behind the fuzzy wall of beard
Contact:

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Uberbeard » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:25 am

Are you using your dual identities to mask some disaster that happened in your past? Perhaps you got almost all the way through an old video game before a thief came and shot your memory cards?

User avatar
Wilbefast
Posts: 1204
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:32 pm
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence
Contact:

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Wilbefast » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:33 am

Uberbeard wrote:Are you using your dual identities to mask some disaster that happened in your past? Perhaps you got almost all the way through an old video game before a thief came and shot your memory cards?
Something like that. My brother got angry with me and deleted all my saved-games :(

User avatar
Ragdollmaster
Posts: 2343
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:49 am
Location: Island of Lugaru

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:26 pm

I remember getting angry at my older brother once when I was like 5 and I snapped one of his PlayStation games in half. Can't remember which one it was.

He retaliated by throwing a controller at my head.

User avatar
Count Roland
Posts: 2936
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:15 pm
Location: Galapagos Islands, rodeoin some turtles.
Contact:

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Count Roland » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:21 pm

I hope it hit you.

User avatar
Renegade_Turner
Gramps
Posts: 6942
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:59 am

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:04 am

Count Roland wrote:I hope it hit you.
I, too, share these wishes.
Uberbeard wrote:
Wilbefast wrote:Good point. I'm practically a normal person in real life (I'm a "closet" geek). I might not fit in with those geeks who have truly embraced their geekiness :?
I find the geeks who can't quite come to terms with it are the more awkward brand.
True. Coupled with the fact that he felt he had to say it, which by law of the internet makes me highly doubt the truth behind such a statement...also coupled with the fact that he very clearly is a geek. Normally someone would precede such a statement with "no offense" or something along those lines, but I'm not a twat so I didn't.

User avatar
Assaultman67
Posts: 2109
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:06 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Assaultman67 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:02 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:
Uberbeard wrote:
Wilbefast wrote:Good point. I'm practically a normal person in real life (I'm a "closet" geek). I might not fit in with those geeks who have truly embraced their geekiness :?
I find the geeks who can't quite come to terms with it are the more awkward brand.
True. Coupled with the fact that he felt he had to say it, which by law of the internet makes me highly doubt the truth behind such a statement...also coupled with the fact that he very clearly is a geek. Normally someone would precede such a statement with "no offense" or something along those lines, but I'm not a twat so I didn't.
I'm a closet otaku, a closet geek, a closet nerd, a closet musician, and a closet gear head ...

However, I seriously stand by my statement of "Lots of fucking awkwardness"

There was a game developers club at my university, and i decided to join considering i loved modding and i have some pretty good experience at various things such as mapping, modeling, animating, 2D graphics, etc ...

I thought it would be awesome. I thought "Finally! people like me! people whom I can talk to face to face about video game development"!

Then I read more about it and find out there is about 80 people in this club and they're developing 3 different games ...

I'm like "wow! That's awesome! there will be so many people to talk to with common interests!"

So I decided to join up on their forum, introduced myself, told them I'd like to be put on a team. Preferably one with 3D models. They said "ok, you can crash our meeting"

So I go there ... and they have practically nothing done.

They had a very basic framework of code in XNA and some models they ripped from god knows where that they were using for their game.

They knew nothing about modeling, animating , textures, etc.

I would say "Oh, you could accomplish that by simply rotating the individual bones on the model" and they would stare at me blankly ...

Every time I said something with any moderate indication of developer knowledge I would lose them.
Diffuse map. Blank stare
mipmaps. Blank stare
Skybox. Blank stare
Collision Volumes/models. Blank stare

We spent about 10 minutes talking about the actual game, and then they proceeded to talk about dungeons and dragons for about 20 minutes ... I basically left when I realized this conversation wasn't going back to game development.

Fucking. Awkward.

But they remembered me ... I kept getting emails asking for me to model X or model Y for something other than the actual game we were working on ...

The guy who led the club was pretty competent though ... he was one of the guys trying to loop me into his personal projects ...

His physics engine sucked though ... (conservation of angular momentum? Fuck That shit! I want my shit to spin wildly whenever it hits something!)

After he graduated the club fell apart ... I honestly think he just used the club for something he could put on his resume (he was an intern at EA the summer before ...)
Last edited by Assaultman67 on Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Renegade_Turner
Gramps
Posts: 6942
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:59 am

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:07 am

...I really don't know what all that had to do with what I was saying...which you quoted.

I don't know how you can be a closet geek while still having friends. Do you actively hide from your friends and college mates that you play games or read novels or graphic novels or watch anime or other potentially nerdy things that you like? Because if you do...I find that a tad strange. Why not just express your real interests to people? Only way you'll find like-minded people.

User avatar
Assaultman67
Posts: 2109
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:06 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Assaultman67 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:43 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:...I really don't know what all that had to do with what I was saying...which you quoted.
It was an extremely long rant about why going to groups like "game jam" are 95% of the time a huge disappointment and awkward as hell.

As for the rest ... I don't really actively hide it ... they just don't ask about it or have any interest in it ...

I kinda hang out with different clicks with different interests ... no particular "best" friend in which I talk to about everything.

Except for the otaku thing ... that just embarrasses me to no end ... I'd rather tell people I like N' sync than that ...

User avatar
Wilbefast
Posts: 1204
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:32 pm
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence
Contact:

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Wilbefast » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:39 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:True. Coupled with the fact that he felt he had to say it, which by law of the internet makes me highly doubt the truth behind such a statement...also coupled with the fact that he very clearly is a geek. Normally someone would precede such a statement with "no offense" or something along those lines, but I'm not a twat so I didn't.
Big words from a man who starts his sentences with "Coupled with the fact that..." :P

Certainly I'm a geek, but what I am too is someone rather good at hiding it. Did you miss the Batman metaphor? Allow me to reiterate. I am exactly like Batman, only instead of fighting crime I write long posts about things that don't matter. I even where a costume, but only when nobody is watching :wink:

User avatar
Renegade_Turner
Gramps
Posts: 6942
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:59 am

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:55 pm

Assaultman67 wrote:Except for the otaku thing ... that just embarrasses me to no end ... I'd rather tell people I like N' sync than that ...
I do tell people I like some N'Sync...that song "Gone" is very good. I much prefer Justin Timberlake's solo material though.
Wilbefast wrote:Big words from a man who starts his sentences with "Coupled with the fact that..." :P
How are they big words? What relevance is it how I start my sentence? I'm not the one hiding the fact that I'm a geek. I'm sure you are like Batman, but really it just sounds like you're embarrassed of who you are. Just sayin'.

User avatar
Uberbeard
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:07 pm
Location: Behind the fuzzy wall of beard
Contact:

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Uberbeard » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:06 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:How are they big words? What relevance is it how I start my sentence? I'm not the one hiding the fact that I'm a geek. I'm sure you are like Batman, but really it just sounds like you're embarrassed of who you are. Just sayin'.
That depends on your point of reference, really. I'm not embarrassed about the murders I've been committing, but it's generally best to keep that shit behind closed doors.

Also, Batman was never ashamed about being Bruce - if we're following that comparison.

User avatar
Grayswandir
Short end of the stick
Posts: 3655
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:37 am
Location: Robbing the cradle.

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Grayswandir » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:59 pm

Assaultman67 wrote:Except for the otaku thing ... that just embarrasses me to no end ... I'd rather tell people I like N' sync than that ...
Why does being an otaku embarrass you? I'm an "animé otaku", I see nothing wrong with liking animé or stuff from Japan. I probably know more about animé than I do about current shows here where I live, same goes for music. Its what I like, you just have to be moderate about it, and not go overboard.

User avatar
Assaultman67
Posts: 2109
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:06 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Assaultman67 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:11 pm

It's just really stigmatic to be labeled an otaku (well, most people don't even know that term ...)

People simply don't react well because of the stereotypes of those who watch anime ...

When people find out they react as if they walked in on you jerking off :( ...

(My dad, sister and roommate have caught me watching anime ... none of them approve)

Dad: "... Are you watching [email protected]%^@ing cartoons?"
Sister: "Is that Anime? Eww ... that's sick"
Roommate: "Holy shit! I Can't believe you watch anime! How is that possible? I thought you were normal!"

My sister I was able to blackmail into not talking about it (Because I remember her loving to watch "Tenchi Muyo" on cartoon network with me as a kid ... before we knew what "anime" was)

My roommate I was able to successfully get him to be tolerant of anime (he even watched ghost in the shell with me a few times)

as for my dad ... well he keeps quiet because he's ashamed of that fact :P
Last edited by Assaultman67 on Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Grayswandir
Short end of the stick
Posts: 3655
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:37 am
Location: Robbing the cradle.

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Grayswandir » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:15 pm

See, you've learned something. You must now jerk off every time you mention animé, thus, earning the reaction you get.

Post Reply