Anyone for Jam?

Anything else
User avatar
Assaultman67
Posts: 2109
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:06 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Assaultman67 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:19 pm

Grayswandir wrote:See, you've learned something. You must now jerk off every time you mention animé, thus, earning the reaction you get.
So basically enforce the stereotype rather than be ashamed of it :P

User avatar
Renegade_Turner
Gramps
Posts: 6942
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:59 am

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:47 pm

Assaultman67 wrote:Dad: "... Are you watching [email protected]%^@ing cartoons?"
Sister: "Is that Anime? Eww ... that's sick"
Roommate: "Holy shit! I Can't believe you watch anime! How is that possible? I thought you were normal!"
Really? Your dad, sister and roommate are weird people. They don't seem to be worth trying to gain the respect of, so why be bothered by it? And blackmail? Huh?

I actually actively endorse and discuss the fact that I watch anime. Actually, just last week at a session, while pissed drunk, me, my older brother Eoin and our friend Jim, were having a rather lengthy conversation about Full Metal Alchemist's new series and the old series, how the film was ridiculous, and the repurcussions of starting an anime which is based on unfinished source material, like Full Metal Alchemist's original series. Was there any cause for embarrassment? No. There was all sorts of other people at the session who could overhear the discussion, but they didn't really give a toss, which is the kind of group of people you should probably be aiming to meet...

Anyway, everyone masturbates. Frankly, I'd be more turned off from liking a person if I was informed that they NEVER masturbate. Those are the people you want to steer clear of. Fucking weirdos.

Uberbeard wrote:That depends on your point of reference, really. I'm not embarrassed about the murders I've been committing, but it's generally best to keep that shit behind closed doors.
Even you can see what a ridiculous comparison that is to make.

User avatar
Assaultman67
Posts: 2109
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:06 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Assaultman67 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:13 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:
Assaultman67 wrote:Dad: "... Are you watching [email protected]%^@ing cartoons?"
Sister: "Is that Anime? Eww ... that's sick"
Roommate: "Holy shit! I Can't believe you watch anime! How is that possible? I thought you were normal!"
Really? Your dad, sister and roommate are weird people. They don't seem to be worth trying to gain the respect of, so why be bothered by it? And blackmail? Huh?
It's not just them. I've seen kids who were pretty open about liking anime get absolutely ridiculed for it. Then again, he was also socially incompetent (which doesn't help the stereotypes at all)

Its actually kinda sad ... because I've ran into other closet otakus who seem very uncomfortable with the fact they watch anime.

I caught a guy on my floor watching "karin"(which isn't really something you just decide to watch out of the blue not knowing what anime is) and his reaction was definitely shame.

When I asked him about it he minimized the window on his computer, got quiet, and avoided eye contact until I admitted to him I watch anime too ...

Although talking about this makes me wonder if I should come out of the closet and try to join a local club or something :lol: (awkwardness eminent)

User avatar
Renegade_Turner
Gramps
Posts: 6942
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:59 am

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:01 pm

Assaultman67 wrote:It's not just them. I've seen kids who were pretty open about liking anime get absolutely ridiculed for it. Then again, he was also socially incompetent (which doesn't help the stereotypes at all)

Its actually kinda sad ... because I've ran into other closet otakus who seem very uncomfortable with the fact they watch anime.

I caught a guy on my floor watching "karin"(which isn't really something you just decide to watch out of the blue not knowing what anime is) and his reaction was definitely shame.

When I asked him about it he minimized the window on his computer, got quiet, and avoided eye contact until I admitted to him I watch anime too ...
Okay, I've analysed the information and considered the things you've said, and have concluded that you live in a make-believe world where everything is backwards and people react completely different to inoccuous situations which would otherwise be normal...either you live in Bizarro World or there's something wrong with Americans...or maybe you're still in primary school, which would explain the intellect of the people you purport to interact with...but you've said you go to college...or maybe you're exaggerating all these situations so your story can have more effect...in any case, that is completely and utterly ridiculous. I've never experiencd anything like that.

User avatar
Assaultman67
Posts: 2109
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:06 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Assaultman67 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:50 am

You do realize that even the majority of Japanese people don't put a positive light on being an otaku

It's considered creepy and anti-social there as well :lol: ...

Then again, maybe we need to clearly distinguish what is casual anime viewing and what is an otaku ...

otakus usually buy alot of anime crap ...

I don't own any anime stuff ... but I have watched a shit ton of anime, so im not exactly sure if that makes me an otaku or not :?

User avatar
Renegade_Turner
Gramps
Posts: 6942
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:59 am

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:20 am

You don't necessarily have to have Gundam Wing bedcovers to be a nerd/geek/whatever silly names you want to call it.

Anyway, the Japanese are all crazy. Have you seen their TV shows? I don't think their rules apply to the rest of the world.

User avatar
Wilbefast
Posts: 1204
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:32 pm
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence
Contact:

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Wilbefast » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:42 am

Okay, so clearly I rubbed a few people up the wrong way saying I'm "almost normal in real life", but you have to understand that to me "normal" is practically and insult. "Normal" people are boring. But what they're not is taped inside bins and rolled down flights of stairs.

Perhaps I'm still getting over a generally shit childhood. But I think it's more than none of my real life friends are interested in game design, so I just don't talk about it. At best they wouldn't be interested, so what's the point?
Renegade_Turner wrote:Your dad, sister and roommate are weird people. They don't seem to be worth trying to gain the respect of, so why be bothered by it?
I used to think like this: anyone who disagrees with my way of life is clearly not worth listening too. But this is the kind of circular logic that cults employ: "I am right because I know that I am right". Sometimes you have to get along with people who don't share your preferences or your opinions.

Whether you like it or not, Civilisation is founded on white lies (cf. Wikileaks): you don't tell your parents that you're going out binge-drinking, you don't tell your girlfriend that you're attracted to her best friend, and there's no point telling people who aren't interested in games that you are.

I'm not awkward or embarrassed about it, but it's just not in my best interests to be open about the fact that I enjoy writing code. There's a big difference between society stigmatising gamers and gamers stigmatising themselves.

User avatar
Renegade_Turner
Gramps
Posts: 6942
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:59 am

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:30 pm

Wilbefast wrote:I used to think like this: anyone who disagrees with my way of life is clearly not worth listening too. But this is the kind of circular logic that cults employ: "I am right because I know that I am right". Sometimes you have to get along with people who don't share your preferences or your opinions.[/b]
Haha, that's a completely different thing altogether. I don't reject people who are different to me. I simply ignore people who reject me. And no, it's not the kind of logic that cults employ. I don't see people who disagree with my way of life as not worth listening to.

However, if someone is willing to go out of their way to treat me as some kind of weirdo based on my interests, then I'm not interested in having them as a companion. Even if it's a parent. I'll just cut thoughts of that person out of my life. I've loads of friends who are interested in gaming and other generally nerdy stuff, a lot of whom I go out drinking withh during the week and on weekends. It's because I've cultivated those kinds of friends. Then I've other friends who I play football with an stuff like that, but I don't make it any secret that I like video games or strange music or anything of that sort.

Why fight so hard trying to fit in with people you don't even like in the first place? If you're not like them, that's not a bad thing, you can still be friends with someone while expressing interest in different things. Actually my best friend Conor has expressed at times that he thinks video games are a waste of time and that they don't have any productive value and I've argued against this with him. We don't share that interest but we're aware of our differences...what's the problem?

Another example is my clothing choice. My clothing choice is very different to the majority of my friends. I wear skinny jeans a lot. My friends make fun of me for them a lot. It's completely different to what they do. Some people even see it a lot. Here's a selection of unrelated comments:

Brother: "Why are you always wearing skinny jeans?"

Paddy: "Look at Hackett's tight arse."

Fiachra: "So when did you realise you were a crossdresser?"

All people I hang out with. All of which think skinny jeans look silly, but if they weren't friends with me and knew what I was like they'd probably find guys wearing skinny jeans to be a lot weirder. You might say I'm making the concept of a man with skinny jeans more of a norm. Plenty of girls are bemused by it too. My ex told me one time to stop wearing skinny jeans, so I told her to fuck off. She got used to it. Everyone does. A life lesson, I guess. People either get used to it, or they leave. There's plenty of people to be friends with if someone's too much of a twat to be your friend despite your differences. =D

But people will always try to justify or rationalise the way they live their lives. I guess if you're happy not really being yourself without caring what people think then that's your issue to deal with, not mine.

User avatar
Assaultman67
Posts: 2109
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:06 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Assaultman67 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Wilbefast wrote:I used to think like this: anyone who disagrees with my way of life is clearly not worth listening too. But this is the kind of circular logic that cults employ: "I am right because I know that I am right". Sometimes you have to get along with people who don't share your preferences or your opinions.

Whether you like it or not, Civilisation is founded on white lies (cf. Wikileaks): you don't tell your parents that you're going out binge-drinking, you don't tell your girlfriend that you're attracted to her best friend, and there's no point telling people who aren't interested in games that you are.
I kinda thought that way too ... and what happens is you end up making an outcast out of yourself (especially if you live in a really small community ... I went to a school where there were only 20 kids in my class, and 30 kids in the entire town.)

I think we both must of had shitty childhoods :lol:

By the time I reached junior high I basically developed a pessimistic stance towards others and just didn't talk to people very openly. Then all of a sudden, people started to like me

I think ren maybe is too normal to understand :P ...

User avatar
Ragdollmaster
Posts: 2343
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:49 am
Location: Island of Lugaru

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:58 pm

>Anyway, everyone masturbates. Frankly, I'd be more turned off from liking a person if I was informed that they NEVER masturbate. Those are the people you want to steer clear of. Fucking weirdos.

:cry:

User avatar
Uberbeard
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:07 pm
Location: Behind the fuzzy wall of beard
Contact:

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Uberbeard » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:54 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Even you can see what a ridiculous comparison that is to make.
Do you really have to add an "Even you" there? We've seen some particularly absurd quotes from your side of the internet when you lurch into flippancy, you can't win points for an inability to spot facetiousness. Anyway, Alpha troll or not, this wasn't the most appropriate thread for your belligerence. Hey, you know I'm sorry for expressing a more moderate opinion, if you like we can write off that I seeded anything here. Can we go back to topic?

Same to you Assaultman; your miniature novels are (at worst) over enthusiastic and I felt the sway of a derail as more of them popped into life :P

User avatar
Wilbefast
Posts: 1204
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:32 pm
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence
Contact:

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Wilbefast » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:59 am

Assaultman67 wrote:what happens is you end up making an outcast out of yourself (especially if you live in a really small community ... I went to a school where there were only 20 kids in my class, and 30 kids in the entire town.)
There were only 7 kids in my class, myself included. By the end of High-School I'd know these 7 for 13 years. We didn't really see eye-to-eye but I learned to get along with these people because I had no choice.

We don't all have the luxury of choosing our acquaintances.

User avatar
Renegade_Turner
Gramps
Posts: 6942
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:59 am

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:31 pm

Uberbeard wrote:Do you really have to add an "Even you" there? We've seen some particularly absurd quotes from your side of the internet when you lurch into flippancy, you can't win points for an inability to spot facetiousness. Anyway, Alpha troll or not, this wasn't the most appropriate thread for your belligerence. Hey, you know I'm sorry for expressing a more moderate opinion, if you like we can write off that I seeded anything here. Can we go back to topic?
My man, that was a tad over-the-top in terms of sensitivity to what I said. You misinterpreted what I said. I was saying "Even you" as in "Even the person who made the point", not a personal swipe at you specifically. Your trolling isn't going to work on me, sorry. I'm immune to it.

Anyway, the subject of the thread has changed and everyone who's been posting has been contributing to it. Get used to it. Don't single out two people. You yourself contributed to it aswell. Don't pin this all on us! :P

User avatar
Assaultman67
Posts: 2109
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:06 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Assaultman67 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:53 pm

Uberbeard wrote:... Same to you Assaultman; your miniature novels are (at worst) over enthusiastic and I felt the sway of a derail as more of them popped into life :P
Meh ...

User avatar
Wilbefast
Posts: 1204
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:32 pm
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence
Contact:

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by Wilbefast » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:41 am

Can we not have this devolve into a thread where everyone wents their pathos?

Perhaps I hit a nerve - really all I meant to say was that I'm a bit apprehensive: I'm the only indie game developer I know, and I'm worried that when I meet some actually real people It'll be brought home rather brutally just what a small fry I really am. If being good at something was just a matter of wanting it then everyone and his mother would be a billionaire rock-and-roll star.

But overall I'm really looking forward to Verona: the people I've talked to about it seem really nice as well. I think it will be great, and I won't allow any amount of cynicism to dampen my spirits :)

Post Reply