The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Anything else
Ragdollmaster

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:35 pm

Fudge epic. I cannot wait 11 months. Dammit, Bethesda.

Ozymandias

Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Post by Ozymandias » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:10 pm

Supposedly they are using the same engine they've been using, but they also aren't using the same engine they've been using. At least, last time I checked. That seems to be one of the things people were concerned aboooot. Naturally we'll have to wait and see if this is any good.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:13 pm

I heard they were developing on an entirely new engine. The one they used for Oblivion and Fallout 3 / New Vegas is frankly a little outdated. I doubt it could handle what Bethesda wants to put in. For Skyrim to sell, it will have to look better, play smoother, and be bigger than Oblivion. For that, they need an engine which doesn't glitch when you look at it the wrong way :P

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:31 pm

The evil dragons will kill you because we were stupid and didn't prepare, but wait, someone *cough*, has the power to stop them all, is what I got from that trailer. I am observant.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:46 pm

Stop being such a wet blanket, Gray :( It IS only a teaser. I'm sure they'll release a fuller trailer later.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:19 am

Stop getting defensive Ragdollmaster, Ben's right. From the general consensus of people I've talked to about the trailer, it's been poorly received. It might as well have been a black screen saying "There is a dragon. It must be stopped. You have the power to stop it." Not even worth watching a second time, it was so awful. Go check out the Mass Effect 3 and Arkham City trailers, at least they have a bit of flesh on them.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:45 am

I am going to rofflcopter if they don't meet the "11-11-11" deadline.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:36 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:"There is a dragon. It must be stopped. You have the power to stop it."
...and in the end, there will be no dragons. None. You get space-whales instead. GIANT SPACE-WHALES. Which, honestly, sound more awesome than dragons.

Speaking of dragons, where there dragons in Oblivion?

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:54 am

No, there weren't, it was sad.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:33 am

Oh. That trailer.

Once I heard the word "dragonborn" being said with a straight face, any interest on my part went out the window with nary a backward glance. Combining it with a ill-fitting made up word didn't help matters. ("Nova-kin" was it? I suppose if "nova" is their word for dragon then it might almost make sense.)

However, when set against some half-decent imagery that horribly corny voiceover actually sounds alright. Take a gander at this. It's almost perfect. Not quite, but almost.

PS. Don't worry Ragdollmaster, the game will do fine. Oblivian fans have been creaming their trousers non-stop since the announcement.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:57 am

I'm an Oblivion fan, but I shall reserve my judgement until I see some gameplay footage, and even then I shall reserve my judgement until I actually play the game. Saying the game shall be poor based on such a trailer is silly, but at the same time the trailer promises nothing.

Zhukov, there was nothing in that video that even went together...they just happened to get the timing right.

Anyway, the Mass Effect 3 trailer intrigued me. People getting nommed on by some alien species invading earth. It's never been done before! No seriously, irony aside, I love the ME3 trailer.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:19 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:Zhukov, there was nothing in that video that even went together...they just happened to get the timing right.
Exactly!

And some of the lines actually fit the Mass Effect story pretty well.
"No one wanted to believe they existed."
"Truth dawns in fire."
"One they fear."

Speaking of the Mass Effect story, I suspect the third title will follow the basic lines of Dragon Age. Eldritch horrors show up and commence with the wrecking of shit. Small band of rag-tag heroes survive initial clash. Heroes run around gathering allies while somehow finding the time to perform poorly concieved sidequests. Heroes return with diverse array of allies in tow. Epic battle ensues.

Painfully unoriginal. But oh well. Bioware's strength has always been execution, not originality.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:49 pm

They don't really fit the Mass Effect setting...at all. :(

Ho ho ho, you're a real Yahtzee aren't you. :P

I thoroughly enjoy all of Bioware's games. I love the writing...but the following is still funny and appropriate so I'll post it here:

Ragdollmaster

Re:

Post by Ragdollmaster » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:02 pm

Zhukov wrote:Combining it with a ill-fitting made up word didn't help matters. ("Nova-kin" was it? I suppose if "nova" is their word for dragon then it might almost make sense.)
According to the Bethesda twitter, it's "Dovahkiin". It's not exactly ill-fitting since the residents (elves?) of Skyrim probably speak a made-up language, so yeah.

Also, dragons may be pretty cliche in the medieval fantasy genre, but there haven't ever been dragons in any of the Elder Scrolls games (unless you count that one 20 second fight scene at the end of Oblivion's main quest line :v), so it's at least a change.

I didn't mean to sound overexcited- I know it's not much of a trailer (hence why it's aptly named a 'teaser'), but what it does give us is the location of the game- Skyrim, a mountainous region to the north of Cyrodil and far west of Morrowind IIRC based on the map in Oblivion- as well as a release date. Plus some kind of really vague backstory. 's not a total fail.

PS -> The Mass Effect 3 / Skyrim merge is a total win.

EDIT: Another tidbit from Bethesda's twitter: "Seeing lots of speculation about #tesv game engine. It's brand new... and it's spectacular!" So yeah. Their twitter seems to actually have more info on the game than the teaser trailer :lol:

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:20 pm

WHUT. Bethesda are actually making A NEW ENGINE for A NEW GAME? I never thought I'd see this day come...surely they could just recycle the same engine into a new game with new models and textures. Simples! :P

I kid, I kid. A new engine really was long overdue, though.