Dismemberment in Overgrowth

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
TheBigCheese

Re: Dismemberment in Overgrowth

Post by TheBigCheese » Tue May 19, 2009 8:48 pm

As long as there aren't arms flying everywhere and only if it was a chance event. Now that I think about it, seeing an enemy cut in half for a final blow would be awesome!

:P

bulletboy102

Post by bulletboy102 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:31 am

i'd love arms and legs flying off and heads rolling thus getting coverd in red snow (odd) and enemies
fighting with an arm missing dieing of lack of blood and running away wellhoping in some cases :) i'd vote big time .

bxxxxxxxxxxxx

Post by bxxxxxxxxxxxx » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:56 pm

This is NO splatter game.
Dismembering is waste in this game.
But I have nothing against scars and detailed injuries.

That's my opinion.

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:53 pm

I remember back in the dawn of time some discussion going on about dynamic technology for things just like this.

I doubt it's a high priority, but Lugaru wasn't exactly a low-violence/low-gore game and if David and team can make it work (from both a tech and an aesthetic point of view) then I think they will.

With that said, I'd rather see more of what we're starting to see now (i.e combat drafts!) and maybe some challenge level type stuff and optimisations before I'd really desperately want dynamic dessication.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:25 pm

I can't imagine how hard it would be to program a such feature, as it would require a totally new fighting style for each piece of your body that has been ripped off.

I'd keep it simple, and perhaps make something like a break-a-leg feature, which makes you move slower for x amount of time.

greader

Post by greader » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:09 am

Richie Rabbit wrote:What about dismemberment for the final blow? like your player or opponent only needs one more hit to die & after that last hit with a sword or something a body part is cut off or smashed off or whatever horrific injuries that weapon you're using or opponent is using can do. & how about the option to horrifically destroy the dead body? I think that would be more fun than just seeing your opponent just lifelessly collapse onto the floor :roll:
that sounds awesome. I always found it annoying you couldn't do anything thing to bodies except stan & punch them with no visible effect. I DID manage to stab a sword up a wolf's a55hol3.
Okay, it may seem psychotic I did this for 10 minutes before ending the level...
Okay, it may seem psychotic I did this for 10 minutes before ending the level...
BUT IT WAS FUN TO DO!!!  XD
BUT IT WAS FUN TO DO!!! XD

Kiory

Post by Kiory » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:15 am

Somebody has issues! :?

Nah, I can't say much, I've done that myself. XD

Ink

Post by Ink » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:00 pm

I'd love to see breaking arms and legs, teeth flying etc. perhaps even decapitation on a final blow, but nothing excessive. There's so much more brutality to be found in subtle, but effective effects. such as; blocking hammer with arm, arm breaks *breaking bones sound*, arm turns limp. There's no need for excessive blood etc.

I mean, it's fighting. make it more brutal and gritty. :)

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:09 pm

Ink wrote:I'd love to see breaking arms and legs, teeth flying etc. perhaps even decapitation on a final blow, but nothing excessive.
0_0

What would you consider excessive?

Bushido Blade had limb disablement and worked fairly well, but it wasn't nearly as fluid or fast as Lugaru/Overgrowth's current drafts.

Ultimately I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of thing gets abstracted away for the main game, but it would be sort of neat to explore in a mod, especially since the animations aren't directly linked to the characters it would be possible to change with a variety of wound states with appropriate abilities and disabilities (and associated changes to the animations and script).

Ink

Post by Ink » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:56 pm

Excessive gore, as in a lot of blood/guts/flesh.
The right sounds and animation can make it brutal enough :)

Balor

Post by Balor » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:56 am

Dismemberment definitely falls into the realm secondary cosmetics for a game but I have to admit there are two things that really attract to play many games:

Great physics (ragdoll and environment interaction)
Strong combat elements (Preferable with some extra gore)

It definitely takes the cake when you have a game with strong visceral combat and an enhanced level realism achieved through dismemberment!

I think Overgrowth is the perfect candidate for dismemberment as it's all heavy melee combat, with fists, feet and very sharp weapons...

Lord_of_Sausage

Post by Lord_of_Sausage » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:25 am

David revealed in a blog that Overgrowths story would be about the backdraws with violence (or something), so a more brutal game than Lugaru is not impossible :)

nukepb

Post by nukepb » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:34 pm

there should be a option like:
Option:
1 - no gore
2 - small blood splats
3 - big blood splats + teeth
4 - extreme gore

or maybe more and a parent control so kids can't change it

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:28 pm

nukepb wrote:there should be a option like:
Option:
1 - no gore
2 - small blood splats
3 - big blood splats + teeth
4 - extreme gore

or maybe more and a parent control so kids can't change it
To be honest I don't like the idea of a "kids version".
Any action game wouldn't feel right if it was made as a kids game.

But that is just my opinion.

EDIT: Of course there should be an option for gore etc. but parental controls? No thanks.

Mhiester

Post by Mhiester » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:02 pm

why not just make it realistic?

Realism always seems to make things better. If you have too much gore, then it just seems overdone, so having just enough would make it great. Ink made a great point by mentioning how it is extremely brutal to know someones arm got broken from blocking an oversized hammer where there's the noise of the bone breaking, and his arm going limp, and that's all you should need.

It would make sense though to have lots of blood and gore where you'd expect it to occur though, like lacerating an artery with a dagger (sounds like a killing blow to me), or throwing someone off of a cliff onto a very solid surface.

If it matters enough, maybe make a menu for the types of gore to be set to different levels (like the difficulty/realism settings of an in depth flight simulator). So everyone is happy with just as much gore as they want, from a pinprick causing a liter of blood to pour out, to "nice and fluffy" mode in Carmagedden.