Unofficial alpha 112, weekly build

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
boulate

Re: Unofficial alpha 112, weekly build

Post by boulate » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:32 pm

oh crap ... no Linux build at the moment :(

Hope it'll come soon !

So hurry to test it ! :twisted:

Gray Fox

Post by Gray Fox » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:48 pm

Does this alpha include all the features from the previous alphas? Or do I have to get them all?

Zergem

Post by Zergem » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:54 pm

Yes, it includes all of the features from the previous versions.

Gray Fox

Post by Gray Fox » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:11 pm

Yet, for some reason... When I press B the bow doesn't work.

I also can't do custom animations.

I also can't use the brush tool.

There's alot of things I can't do.

key2van

Post by key2van » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:06 pm

Gray Fox wrote:Yet, for some reason... When I press B the bow doesn't work.

I also can't do custom animations.

I also can't use the brush tool.

There's alot of things I can't do.
1.The animation editor has been temporarily disabled, and if you want to use it, go to some earlier alphas or make your animations using blender.
2.The game is in alpha stage, and i dont ever remember being able to use the brush, but it should be available later on.
3.The b button seems to be the "reset pose" animation. You can easily change the b button to do any animation you want.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:33 pm

Gray Fox wrote:Does this alpha include all the features from the previous alphas? Or do I have to get them all?
It doesn't feature quite everything. The alpha changes every week, after all! All features haven't ever been released in alphas, like the footstep decals - before they are optimized, they'd be too slow for too many computers. Animation editor has been disabled, since the developers aren't using it themselves and it broke down due to something else. Some weeks, there are weird blue or red particle clouds coming off the ground because they were testing particles and bright colours are easier to see.

aec912

Post by aec912 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:43 pm

WOW im really exited i just bought the game! like 10 mins ago im downloadin it now woot i love my preordered icon xD well time to make maps!

Gray Fox

Post by Gray Fox » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:06 am

And decals don't work too, I was just making sure this is happening to everyone not just me.

Well, Time to wait for the new alpha. I really need to make some maps.

FirelanderX

Post by FirelanderX » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:40 am

I absolutely love Wolfire, these weekly alphas are the best thing ever. :D

Vox

Post by Vox » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:20 pm

Two questions that I figured fit into the alpha thread, sorry I couldn't keep them short, here's a summary of each:
1) User generated and shared content tools.
2) Groups and objects tools.

1) Obviously content is a primary function of a game, and making content takes a large amount of time, one solution of many games has been to make a content server that may or may not be linked with the game, and allows people to share, rate and comment on content, is there any plan to implement such a system for overgrowth, and if so how embedded in the game will the system be?

2) I find the tools provided to be very useful for level design, much easier than a comparable system such as little big planet's editors, however I have some issues and ideas I wanted to express:
First it would be nice for groups to have a local symmetry option, allowing for an easy way to make symmetrical objects quickly, that could be latter baked in so that you could edit the mirror objects or add asymmetry, I find most of the art I do in any media can benefit from symmetry and/or pattern tools.

Secondly I find I often that I loose my sense of scale in some environments, it would be a subtle but useful change to have a flat white image of a rabbit, juxtaposed to whatever I'm editing displayed on the grid-plane just to the left or right of the object being edited, (left or right could be chosen depending on which is closer to the camera to ensure the probability of visibility) this subtlety could be enough for the mind to then guess the distances between platforms or objects better.

Thirdly allot of design is uniform, it would be nice to have a guide-line tool that can be used to make a guide that objects will snap rotation too, or multiple lines that objects will snap rotation, scale and position to, as an example you could make a guide-line-group for a wall, where the top and bottom parallel lines are used to align the walls, and quickly rotate and transform objects into place for fine-tuning. You could achieve this by selecting an object, selecting a tool such as the transform tool, then right clicking a guide or group of guides, which would then apply that transform to the object.
It may be more useful to have guide-planes, or guide-lines, I don't really know what would work best, but this would allow you to create objects on unconventional angels quickly and easily.

kayouu

Post by kayouu » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:27 am

curious how do you turn OFF FPS?

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:48 am

Looking good, here're some observations and questions:
On my iMac 10.6.5 the map "Desert Outpost" still refuses to load, it has been doing this since last Alpha.
On the map "Painted Desert" whenever any character reaches a certain velocity the game crashes. Like I jumped from the top of the rock formations and right as I was about to hit the ground it froze and then crashed. Same thing happened when a couple of NPCs fell off.
I'm sure you just havn't implemented or created them yet, but just in case I thought I'd mention that the long weapons (spear, glaive, etc. ) could use their own poses too.
Does anyone know where to find Config.txt on this alpha? I did show package contents>MacOS>Data, which worked last alpha, but I couldn't find Config.txt anywhere this time.
Cat City v2 looks amazing! Aubrey did a really good job on that and I'm glad he made it so that you can grab onto the sides without spazzing out or falling off. That isn't really related to this alpha, but I thought I'd mention it :)
I know you guys are busy with more important stuff, but it would be like really cool if you could assign judo throw and active blocking to separate keys, I havn't tried it yet :)
Overall great work, looking forward to next alpha as usual :)

Edit: Wow, I found Config.txt. :P
Last edited by Jacktheawesome on Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

last

Post by last » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:42 pm

Hi.
I am not good with english. so i have a picture instead.
I jumped up and climbed on the ledge. And there i am.
Sometimes i fall into the block instead.
And i dont know why my shift key dos'nt work. i mean i cant do eny flips when i am jumping. Maybe its my computer or something.
Attachments
OvergrowthScreenshot00001.jpg

Vox

Post by Vox » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:30 am

last:
Yea, the ledge hanging is a bit broken at the moment, we have to wait for the developers to fine tune it, I think a different approach might be taken with ledge hanging in future, as Ninjas was talking about making 'no grab' ledges, which means ledge hang might be an option for level designers in future. In the mean time there's nothing you can do.

Madk

Post by Madk » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:13 am

The game crashed the first time I ran it when I tried to enter play mode while Turner was fighting a guard. Now it crashes a few seconds after finishing loading the same level (plateau).