[Windows]This is how you update (with images)

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Gambini

[Windows]This is how you update (with images)

Post by Gambini » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:11 pm

This thread has been unstickied with Jeff's permission to avoid confusing new people with lots of topics about how to update. Use viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14201 for your updating instead of doing it manually.

----------------

Edit/Note: In my Firefox, the images have been a tiny bit "thumbnailed". To see them at the correct resolution, right click->View Image. This guide is now on the wiki, so feel free to edit that page to make things more clear for others. I have also made a tool (now v1.6) that does this for you at viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10490

I'm going to assume that you've downloaded the update, and have it opened to the 'update' folder. You don't have to un-zip it, but you can if you want. The __MACOSX folder is not for Windows users, as you might imagine.

You will want to open the folder where you installed Overgrowth to, and it should look something similar to this:
The left window is the Overgrowth install folder, the right window is the update folder.

I've circled the similar items in blue. When you are updating, you are just replacing files with new ones; finding out which files you need to replace is the first step.

Drag and drop the similar items into the Overgrowth install folder. Make sure you don't drag and drop into one of the folders already there (Data, Default, Dictionaries, locales in this image).
When copy + replacing (aka updating) entire folders, you are going to be merging the folders. You will want to click yes for copy and replace on everything. The next three images are what I got in chronological order. Make sure to check the "Do this for all current items" check box before clicking the option/yes.
The last thing is to copy the executable. Head in the 'Windows' folder in the 'update' folder. Here you will find a .exe and a few other files. Copy the .exe file (If you are uncomfortable with it, just copy over everything in the folder. It won't hurt) into the Overgrowth install folder. If a future update has a .dll file in it, then you will want to copy that over as well.
Hit copy and replace for everything again, and you should be updated.
Last edited by Gambini on Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Re: [Windows]This is how you update (with images)

Post by Jeff » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:53 pm

Thanks a ton for making this!

xpk3

Post by xpk3 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:23 am

Awesome guide! I think this should be stickied.

syntax

Post by syntax » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:54 am

I just updated og on my mac, it's a hell of a process as there is no merge feature. Had to go through every folder and copy/replace the files.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:32 am

syntax wrote:I just updated og on my mac, it's a hell of a process as there is no merge feature. Had to go through every folder and copy/replace the files.
Sounds like you should start using the mac updater: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7716

Except for this week, it has really worked well!

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:21 pm

I prefer to use the auto updater. maybe im just lazy.
at least not being lazy in this case is actually worse for your health.

EDIT: Ha I.m updating before he made the post with the auto updater. AWESOME!!!

meissner61

Post by meissner61 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:55 pm

What is that DS Store file? I see it in the update but i dont see it it in my a132 overgrowth folder :(

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:09 pm

meissner61 wrote:What is that DS Store file? I see it in the update but i dont see it it in my a132 overgrowth folder :(
DS Store is an invisible mac file that stores how the icons should be displayed in a folder -- it's not important.

meissner61

Post by meissner61 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:34 am

does this update method only work with 1 version above? Like if i have alpha 139 i can update to 140 but if i have alpha 138 i cannot update to 140?

last

Post by last » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:36 am

yes
Last edited by last on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gambini

Post by Gambini » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:02 am

meissner61 wrote:does this update method only work with 1 version above? Like if i have alpha 139 i can update to 140 but if i have alpha 138 i cannot update to 140?
As 'last' said: "jes."

However, the program I made (there is a link to it at the top of the original post in the italics paragraph) can update over multiple versions.

Because I can't sleep, I will elaborate on why the copy+paste method cannot update over multiple weeks. Anything past here is more than likely a bunch of rambling, and do not read it expecting anything useful.

The main reason is that if you were to look in the update at each individual file and compare it with the game folder, you'd notice that every single file is not in the update. I'll use your example of being at 138 and wanting to go to 140 to explain the significance. If 139 were to add a new file, say a new sound file for walking on a rocky surface, then if you were to skip 139 and go straight from 138 to 140 (and update 140 didn't modify that file), then your game would not be the 'true' game as intended by the developers. You might think it is fine, because the errors for a missing sound file are more than likely not shown to you, but it could be more catastrophic for important files like animations/meshes/textures and whatnot. Skipping updates would mean the possibilities of missing entire levels, characters, or config files that are needed to run the game properly.

You'd pretty much just be running update 138 with no new features, just updated old ones. And more than likely your game wouldn't get very far past booting up.

TL;DR: Because it is impossible to see what files are modified/added in each update without downloading the file, you might as well copy and replace everything.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:48 pm

This week, there are some that I don't recognize. Overgrowth.exp, Overgrowth.lib, Overgrowth.pdb What are those?

Gambini

Post by Gambini » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:27 pm

Korban3 wrote:This week, there are some that I don't recognize. Overgrowth.exp, Overgrowth.lib, Overgrowth.pdb What are those?
.exp: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 00%29.aspx (mostly the first sentence)
.lib: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_library
.pdb: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 00%29.aspx

They are files automatically generated by the compiler/dev environment. They are not necessary to have, though the .pdb might help with debugging if you have the correct tools.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:46 pm

I made a video showing how to update Overgrowth as well.

last

Post by last » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:34 am

Good work Silverfish