Multiplayer enhancement [Brainstorm]

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!

Do you like these modes?

Yes, I like these modes
58%
Yes, but not all of them
35%
No, they suck
2%
No, they need to be altered
1%
I like mine more!
4%

Total votes: 110

MrRauxa

Re: Multiplayer enhancement [Brainstorm]

Post by MrRauxa » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:56 am

Name:...
Teams: 2
Players: 16
Some sort of capture the flag but with one flag in the middle of the map, the objective is to get it back to your base, the thing is only one player of the team can carry it and while doing so their speed is very reduced like stealth, other team players must defend the one carrying the flag. Ultimately the one carrying the flag can join the fight leaving the flag but with some kind of penalization, like the flag going back to the middle of the map after some time without being carried.

Name:...
Teams: None
Players:8
In a map there's a roman colisseum where players watch other two fight, the one who wins the fight continues to fight the one who loses spawns into the viewing area. The roman colisseum can have weapons or not you decide. The ones watching can't move just wait for their turn, but from the viewing area you can watch the whole colisseum arena. Wins the first to achieve a certain number of fights. You can make this into teams too. And 8 players I think it's the max for not waiting too long to fight.

The survival is a must have, the free for all too. I liked very much the jail thing a user posted and the turning into a wolf the same guy posted, this two should definitely make it out.

There could be three tipe of players based on three tipes of armor, each armos has it's pros and cons. Like light armour for very fast moving, light hitting and counters based fighting. Heavy armour for more life and strong hitting, but not so good speed while moving, and slower fighting movements. The medium armour the best of the light and heavy without getting the full advantatges of the other two armours.

A must have is matchmaking, and leaderboards based on online performance.

And that's all... for now.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:29 pm

That colisseum idea is awesome. What if though, so that waiting players would have a better view, they were instead were in a lobby in some sort of theater mode, watching the fight with different camera angles and such. They would then be spawned into the arena. I think that might be simpler, and it would give waiting players a better view.

TonyTheSlayer

Post by TonyTheSlayer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:06 pm

Jacktheawesome wrote:That colisseum idea is awesome. What if though, so that waiting players would have a better view, they were instead were in a lobby in some sort of theater mode, watching the fight with different camera angles and such. They would then be spawned into the arena. I think that might be simpler, and it would give waiting players a better view.
Or instead allow the players spawned outside the arena to move around but have some sort of invisible wall between the actual fight arena and the spectators and disallow damage outside the arena so the spectators can't kill each other. :P

I suppose you could call this gametype "Duel"?

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:59 pm

TonyTheSlayer wrote:
Jacktheawesome wrote:That colisseum idea is awesome. What if though, so that waiting players would have a better view, they were instead were in a lobby in some sort of theater mode, watching the fight with different camera angles and such. They would then be spawned into the arena. I think that might be simpler, and it would give waiting players a better view.
Or instead allow the players spawned outside the arena to move around but have some sort of invisible wall between the actual fight arena and the spectators and disallow damage outside the arena so the spectators can't kill each other. :P

I suppose you could call this gametype "Duel"?
Oooh! how about "Gladiate"

Buglish

Post by Buglish » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:56 am

Jacktheawesome wrote:Oooh! how about "Gladiate"
Gladiate oddly is also used for roman sandals
http://www.google.com/images?q=Gladiate ... 4&bih=1724

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:01 pm

Buglish wrote:
Jacktheawesome wrote:Oooh! how about "Gladiate"
Gladiate oddly is also used for roman sandals
http://www.google.com/images?q=Gladiate ... 4&bih=1724
Wow. I don't know if that's cool or just a fail :)

aDamn

Post by aDamn » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:45 pm

Pardon me, I suck at explaining stuff in english :(

Mode 1.
This one is kinda weird, but i just got the idea and I'd just thought I'll share it. So everyone start out in peace, not attacking eachother. There's a timer to war, or perhaps you should be able to decide for yourself when you want to fight. During the countdown, each player needs to gather resources, or items. These items are like, currency for each race. For dogs it would be bones, for rabbtis it would be carrots, for rats cheese, etc. You can decide for yourself what you want to gather, and all items should be spread out in difficult spaces to reach, like parkour shit that you have to complete, but you should know the location of each items. When you have gathered enough items, you'll head back to the spawnlocation, where you can purchase NPC-guards, for the items you have collected. And if you have collected cheese, you can purchase rat-guards, and vise versa. And the different races will of course have different abilities. For an example, dogs would be like tanks, rats like support, so you'll have to pick the right set of NPC's, or a good combination.

Then when the timer reaches its countdown, the deathmatch begin :D Or, maybe, it'll only be your NPC's fighting, in an arena like place. But it might be boring to watch :P

Mode 2. "werewolf"
Everyone start out at rabbits, and someone gets to know that he's a werewolf. And then there is a timer to full moon, and when the timer reaches its countdown, he becomes a werewolf (dah), with superstrenght, speed etc. During the timer, allt the rabbits will have to gather upp weapons, equipment, build fortifications etc. And the werewolf, who should be helping them, could in some way like sabotage for them, without beeing seen. Or i don't know, this got kinda fucked up ^^

Sorry for my half-decent english, and just so you know, these gamemodes sounded a lot cooler in my head :lol:

daneco

Post by daneco » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:31 pm

The teams should be based on colours.
Then you pick your race, and after that, your model.
This way the teams define theirs tactics based on the combination of the races.
I think this way it gives more freedom to the players, and it is more fun. :D

About the modes.
Gives us the good old-fashioned Capture the Flag, Death Match.
And a sneak based mode is a priority!!
Hide in the shadows -- run through a wall -- jump towards the enemy -- LEG CANNON!! We need some of this.

Fein

Post by Fein » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:24 pm

I could really see this games multiplayer going the way of Jedi Academy. For those unfamiliar, it was mostly just hanging out on a map, no time mode or specific objective, and people would just duel each other or play their own game (not a game mode). And if people wanted to play an actual game like deathmatch they would vote on it. In my opinion, this would be incredible for a sanbox-like game such as overgrowth.

mphasis

Post by mphasis » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:50 pm

Adventure:
Teams are divided into protagonists and NPCs.
The protagonists play together through a single-player level while the second team takes on all the roles of the various NPCs that would fill that level (friendly-ones with a chat-like dialog system, and enemy ones).
The NPC team can switch between which characters they control and which characters would just carry out their AI behaviour like the single-player map.
Each NPC/Protagonist could have a short(randomised?) background story that encourages the player playing them to play in a certain way, or with certain constraints(such as a fear of wolves, or hatred of rabbits etc.).
This mod would tack nicely on to most single-player levels giving them more re-playability and making it more fun for both sides.

Ere Was I

Post by Ere Was I » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:58 am

I think a multiplayer mode in which the mapmaking tools are enabled would be pretty fun, like Halo's whole "Forge" mode.

Krabman318

Post by Krabman318 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:23 am

aDamn wrote: Mode 1.
This one is kinda weird, but i just got the idea and I'd just thought I'll share it. So everyone start out in peace, not attacking eachother. There's a timer to war, or perhaps you should be able to decide for yourself when you want to fight. During the countdown, each player needs to gather resources, or items. These items are like, currency for each race. For dogs it would be bones, for rabbtis it would be carrots, for rats cheese, etc. You can decide for yourself what you want to gather, and all items should be spread out in difficult spaces to reach, like parkour shit that you have to complete, but you should know the location of each items. When you have gathered enough items, you'll head back to the spawnlocation, where you can purchase NPC-guards, for the items you have collected. And if you have collected cheese, you can purchase rat-guards, and vise versa. And the different races will of course have different abilities. For an example, dogs would be like tanks, rats like support, so you'll have to pick the right set of NPC's, or a good combination.

Then when the timer reaches its countdown, the deathmatch begin :D Or, maybe, it'll only be your NPC's fighting, in an arena like place. But it might be boring to watch :P
I don´t know if I got your point, but that mode would probably be more fun in rts games:

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/gameinfo/tw ... treatymode

macravin

Post by macravin » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:20 pm

TonyTheSlayer wrote:
Name: Wolf Hunt
Max Players: 16
Teams: None
Description: Players start anywhere in a map with weapons scattered about. In a random location of the map is a set of wolf claws, that when picked up by a player, turns them into a wolf. Players resume kills as normal like a deathmatch style of play. However, the player who retrieves the wolf claws will be granted additional speed, damage, and agility, as like any other wolf. When the wolf is killed, the player respawns as a rabbit and the wolf claws reappear in another random location. The object of the game is to get the most kills.
^^^ good idea, though I think the killer of the wolf should become the new wolf...

I also think that a survival mode with the option to use any class is a must! You get three lives per round with a bunch of enemies each time. Each class has it's own strategies for game-play. If you survive a round without loosing any lives, you should get a weapon (that matches your species)... I think this would be really cool!

Markofofo

Post by Markofofo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:06 pm

co-op campaign.
i don't have to explain that

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:23 pm

assassin. just like in assassins creed brotherhood, but without the magic and special items. the possibility of team assassinations would be cool as well.