Where is multiplayer in OG at?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Krabman318

Where is multiplayer in OG at?

Post by Krabman318 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:21 pm

I found this on the blog, and now I wonder if anyone of you knows if there was further progress on it:
http://blog.wolfire.com/tag/pre-overgrowth/2

Kicktar

Re: Where is multiplayer in OG at?

Post by Kicktar » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:25 pm

Fairly sure that there isn't any multiplayer structure currently, and that probably won't be worked on at least until the mission creator is done.

Vox

Post by Vox » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:19 pm

Who knows when multi-player will be added, the developers have allot of work to do on overgrowth yet, so it could be next update, or it could be alpha 200, who knows.

zalo

Post by zalo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:26 pm

That looks like an old version of the engine, closer to the original lugaru.

I doubt if it even still exists in the current Overgrowth's source, since they had to rewrite a lot on movement and fighting.

Though, I think it should keep the game alive until they finalize missions.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:59 pm

There was multiplayer around alpha 17 or so, but no real working framework for anything, all had to be done by console, and even then it was a bit buggy.

wolfbrother9393

Post by wolfbrother9393 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:41 pm

That blog post you're looking at is for Lugaru 2, which was scrapped due to not enough time to work on it. They started fresh with Overgrowth.

Right now, the team's main focus is finishing the tools so that they can support their mod community and make an engaging single-player campaign.

They haven't given an absolute no to multiplayer, but it will probably come after the game release, and could even end up being a community mod.

I'm stoked to see what people will make when all of the tools are finished.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:25 am

That thread certainly was from Lugaru 2, and not Overgrowth, however, there was this one blog post with multiplayer in Overgrowth: http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/01/multiplayer-news/

However, there have been many discussions (as referenced already) that single-player will be the focus of the game, and the IF multiplayer makes it in, it will probably only be in the form of co-op.

Alpharius

Post by Alpharius » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:41 pm

well browsing the UI folder in OG, i did see a mpchat folder and serverbrowser folder. Maybe i'm misunderstanding the intended use for them, but the images i saw inside looked pretty reassuring. :idea:

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:58 pm

Alpharius wrote:well browsing the UI folder in OG, i did see a mpchat folder and serverbrowser folder. Maybe i'm misunderstanding the intended use for them, but the images i saw inside looked pretty reassuring. :idea:
Yeah, they made a list early on of every feature they could possibly want in the game, and Jeff made a UI for it. Sadly it doesn't mean it will all make it in... :(