Dismemberment.

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Philipmejdal

Re: Dismemberment.

Post by Philipmejdal » Sun May 01, 2011 4:52 am

I also like the idea om disemberment. BUT if someone's arm in real world was cut off, he will certainly be unable to fight, you might get a shock and be totally disoriented, and so should these guys be..

So either the opponents should become disoriented and shocked if they had their arm cut off, og their leg, but if they just get scratches and wounds, they should try to fight...

I'm actually not a big fan of disemberment of the last hit. Because i personally think it would look crazy if you were actually able as a single rabbit to take down a small unit of lets say 4 dogs, with a bit of luck and disemberment? With luck i mean that you cut off some of their body parts rendering them unable to fight. That could be awsome.

Ink

Post by Ink » Sun May 01, 2011 9:19 am

I'd like to see arms or legs break from hammer blows. Rendering them unable to fight. I think that decapitation should be implemented, but on a very rare occasion. Like in Lugaru, swords and staffs were certainly powerful, but as a player I was relying more on fists and knives.

So my final thoughts are; hammers and swords should do some serious, hardcore and brutal damage, but also be rare, and have drawbacks like slow attack/movement speed.

Philipmejdal

Post by Philipmejdal » Sun May 01, 2011 9:41 am

I agree (;

Rovert

Post by Rovert » Sun May 01, 2011 10:07 am

I like the idea of some form of dismemberment and the on-kill type dismemberment. Though I would also like the idea of crippling, yet not necessarily dismembering attacks. Like someone mentioned before, the idea of a big weapon like a hammer braking arms/legs or bludgeoning an opponent. Different forms of take downs/crippling attacks would be great.

If dismembering were to be put in the game, degrees of dismemberment would be great too.
For example: Ears, hands, fingers, feet, and smaller bits of an enemy could be sliced off instead of whole limbs. If a limbs was sliced off, there's a big chance you'll die of blood loss, so having an enemy come after you with his leg cut off seems unrealistic. Arms, however, could be overlooked by a persistent enemy. He could clutch his stump in pain and run at you, only able to use kicks and the sort. And obviously heads would mean instant death, no questions asked...

Overall, dismemberment sounds like a visceral and cool idea that should be added in some degree to the game. Be that decapitation, limb loss, or a combination of both, I'd love to see it in the final game.

stev

Post by stev » Sun May 01, 2011 3:08 pm

I'm glad to see people are really thinking about this, this is quite an enthusiastic community.

AlexH

Post by AlexH » Tue May 03, 2011 9:30 am

I entirely support dismemberment and would love to see it. We already have the gruesome yet very satisfying jugular burst that was implemented in a128. I really hope to see severe wounds that bleed badly as in the a128 update and dismemberment.Why not let someone stick their sword through an opponents stomach? Why not let allow the player to bury their sword into an opponent's shoulder, struggle to dislodge it, then give up and let the opponent topple with the sword still lodged in his shoulder?

wolfseven

Post by wolfseven » Tue May 03, 2011 2:07 pm

Funny community. The "Dismemberment" topic has more answers that the "Bug Reporting Station" topic.
:lol:

OneEyedOdin

Post by OneEyedOdin » Tue May 03, 2011 2:58 pm

Dismemberment should be only possible with certain weapons in certain situations, perhaps when hitting an enemy's neck just right at the end of an enormous jump. Also, dismemberment should be possible after the enemy is dead and you have time to hack its corpse apart if you want.

Having a way to enable/disable realistic gore would be best

Mitchewawa

Post by Mitchewawa » Tue May 03, 2011 4:51 pm

Wouldn't it be realistically hard to dismember a moving, dodging soldier? They'd have to be tired and you'd need to hit pretty hard to cut through bone.

stev

Post by stev » Wed May 04, 2011 9:34 am

Mitchewawa wrote:Wouldn't it be realistically hard to dismember a moving, dodging soldier? They'd have to be tired and you'd need to hit pretty hard to cut through bone.
There have been a number of suggestions as to where dismemberment could be implimented without the opponent dodging or moving. Read the thread.

Also, with the brilliant gore shown in a128(?) I believe that dismemberment would, quite honestly, look beautiful.

sakiskid

Post by sakiskid » Wed May 04, 2011 3:32 pm

Also since the new update features penetration (lol) it will be easier to kill enemies with little/no armor on. Leather would provide maybe defense against daggers and such. But a sword? It would go through leather like butter. Now if the enemy was wearing a battle suit, dismembering him would be much harder. You would have to hit in the weak spots where the armor isn't covering. I don't anything should go through the toughest metal, unless it's a javelin launched from a cannon.

Krabman318

Post by Krabman318 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:40 am

sakiskid wrote:...unless it's a javelin launched from a cannon.
I really hope that if a javelin or knife throw is implemented, you would be able to change the force value, so that would be possible.

greader

Post by greader » Sat May 07, 2011 12:38 pm

I think dismemberment would be good for cutscenes. It could help with dramatize a scene where Turner was spying in a castle. OG is medieval right? I could easily see a cat or dog lord beheading a guard for letting Turner infiltrate the castle. Judging by the comic, it seems that cutting off someone's hand could also cause a vendetta. I don't think dismemberment should happen while you are fighting random guards. It should be reserved for finishers and boss kills. Of course, none of these will ever happen unless you acquire a big executioner sword.

stev

Post by stev » Sun May 08, 2011 5:17 am

greader wrote:I think dismemberment would be good for cutscenes. It could help with dramatize a scene where Turner was spying in a castle. OG is medieval right? I could easily see a cat or dog lord beheading a guard for letting Turner infiltrate the castle. Judging by the comic, it seems that cutting off someone's hand could also cause a vendetta. I don't think dismemberment should happen while you are fighting random guards. It should be reserved for finishers and boss kills. Of course, none of these will ever happen unless you acquire a big executioner sword.
Whilst it's all very good having a huge sword, I don't like the idea of Turner holding a sword twice his size. It's not practical.

El Jaiko

Post by El Jaiko » Sun May 08, 2011 9:40 am

I reckon that it should be toggled because obviously if you hit someone in real life with a claymore (neck/appendages) it will cut through. Or even not complete dismemberment but sorta half... thoughts