Epic* Overgrowth Ideas

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Xorath

Re: Epic* Overgrowth Ideas

Post by Xorath » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:39 pm

Endoperez wrote:The only problem I have against aerial combat is that it will no happen accidentally. it's too good, doing it as often as possible will become the easiest way to fight against tough opponents. If it's not overpowered, just cool, it's going to be fun for a few times, but spending lots of time on it would be a waste. So a few simple moves would be enough, IMO.
Yeah, that would be a problem. :/
I've only a few ideas to balance that out. The first being the toll taken even if you win. Realistically, even falling on a body is going to hurt, so if it's from any respectable height, Aerial Combat would take it's toll in the form of permanent damage. My second idea would to really make the move a gamble. You're not going to want to do this on full health, because if you lose, death is likely. It would be more of a last resort type of thing to make one last ditch effort to kill that boss. (Obviously, this is not a peaceful option.)
Can you think of a better way to balance it, or limit it's use?
Wilbefast wrote:Back then David said wanted to show the impacts of violence, rather than it just being used for "juiciness" (ie. exaggerated positive feedback for "correct" gameplay actions) as it is in many games (eg. God of War).

So aerial combat, while terribly awesome in many ways -there's no denying it- just isn't really in the spirit of things :?
I listened to the podcast, and it encouraged me to submit this idea if anything else. I think the team might have fun with it, and that it would fit nicely with Turner if the player is simply killing everyone and waltzing down that "Psycho" path. I understand where you're coming from, but I'm afraid that I'll have to politely disagree with you on this particular subject.

FoX_AaZzA

Post by FoX_AaZzA » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:41 am

Aerial Combat - I hope to be able to use an NPC to soften a fall after i've spear tackled him off a ledge :)

Alternate Uses for Weapons - would be nice to be able to throw a knife into a wall and then run and grab hold of it for that extra height of reach? maybe when you push off the wall again you could grab the dagger again?
would also like to use a dagger to scale/slide down a wall or hill side?

Four-Legged Running - absolutely!

Improvised Weapons - one use only objects maybe?

Jump Kicking - another absolutely!

Skill Progression - Yes!

Stealth - look at the thief series, they were VERY good when it came to stealth elements

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:46 am

Now that I've said my piece, I'm more than happy to agree to disagree Xorath :wink:

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:57 am

Skill progression=NEVER.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:19 am

Count Roland wrote:Skill progression=NEVER.
I think we'll have to agree to agree Roland :P

Conner36

Post by Conner36 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:36 am

Honestly, while suggesting gameplay features is nice, why not let the developers decide? Anyone feel like we might be crowding the Wolfire team with forum suggestions for features they might not be able to implement? What happens if they run out of development funds and they have to release a game build on the engine as is? It's just IMO when newbs come and read threads like this they might get over hyped on a non-realistic future game.

Why not go out and learn how to build a mod for any and all gameplay features you want and let the team build their 'vision' of how OG should go. Plus if done that way your feature could 'just be added' (like the item browser that got added in in alpha135) without taking too much time away from the team's main efforts.

Anyone else feel the same?

ps no disrespect to all of the great ideas

Xorath

Post by Xorath » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:56 pm

Conner_36 wrote:Honestly, while suggesting gameplay features is nice, why not let the developers decide? Anyone feel like we might be crowding the Wolfire team with forum suggestions for features they might not be able to implement? What happens if they run out of development funds and they have to release a game build on the engine as is? It's just IMO when newbs come and read threads like this they might get over hyped on a non-realistic future game.

Why not go out and learn how to build a mod for any and all gameplay features you want and let the team build their 'vision' of how OG should go. Plus if done that way your feature could 'just be added' (like the item browser that got added in in alpha135) without taking too much time away from the team's main efforts.

Anyone else feel the same?

ps no disrespect to all of the great ideas
Should I simply keep my ideas to myself then?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:17 pm

Conner_36 wrote:Honestly, while suggesting gameplay features is nice, why not let the developers decide?
Because people have certain ideas of what Overgrowth might become, and they want to write about the ideas in case they get implemented. I'm doing the exact same thing with the martial art video references, and no one seems to complain about that. The devs can, and should, ignore whatever suggestions they don't like.

Xorath

Post by Xorath » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:20 pm

That reminds me, Endo, you said something earlier that sort of confused me.
Endoperez wrote:Aerial Combat
Could work, but wouldn't it be really rare? Something like using your enemy to soften your wall could be fun though.
What do you mean by "soften your wall"?

Conner36

Post by Conner36 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:22 pm

No, but like I said:
Why not go out and learn how to build a mod for any and all gameplay features you want
I was just saying that most or all of these features should and can be implemented by fans. Us fans should get a little more organized and make a wiki of fan scripts to add features. Then people with ideas could learn how to build them. As of right now the request list just keeps getting longer. Why not make an actual fan feature list and start implementing them one by one?

The reason why it hasn't been done until now was that the alphas keep changing the code. If we were to choose for example every (alpha)%10=0 we could build features and then upgrade them slowly.

We should create a SPF wiki and get started on documenting and publishing mods and scripts. I've never set one up. I should probably should learn how. But even if I did create a wiki how would it stay SPF?

Im off to start a new thread.

last

Post by last » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:46 pm

Why SPF wiki. i think it is'nt that bad if someone who has'nt bought OG can see fan requested mods and scripts list.

m3nace

Post by m3nace » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:51 pm

I don't see any reason to keep it strictly spf and there are already tutorials and scripts on the overgrowth wiki...
As for modding yourself instead of begging in front of the devs, I'm not even sure the devs read the suggestion threads, a lot of the suggestions are the same and some suggestions are even suggesting something that's already on its way to be implemented. I say we should rather have an organized suggestion sub-forum and a sticky on doing suggestions to avoid all the repetetive suggestions and the already-to-be-implemented suggestions.

Conner36

Post by Conner36 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:44 pm

m3nace wrote:I don't see any reason to keep it strictly spf and there are already tutorials and scripts on the overgrowth wiki...
As for modding yourself instead of begging in front of the devs, I'm not even sure the devs read the suggestion threads, a lot of the suggestions are the same and some suggestions are even suggesting something that's already on its way to be implemented. I say we should rather have an organized suggestion sub-forum and a sticky on doing suggestions to avoid all the repetetive suggestions and the already-to-be-implemented suggestions.
:D

Conner36

Post by Conner36 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:49 pm

last wrote:Why SPF wiki. i think it is'nt that bad if someone who has'nt bought OG can see fan requested mods and scripts list.
But if its SPF it will keep the suggestion list to a minimum so things could get accomplished. As m3nace said we already have a lot of redundancies.
As for letting no SPFs in, I'm sure we would be able to squeeze whats going on the wiki or the list into OGweekly.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:33 pm

Xorath wrote:What do you mean by "soften your wall"?
wall -> fall :lol:

Looks like I made a typo there. Basically, the enemy takes the brunt of the wall.