Overgrowth on Linux status

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
johndh

Re: Overgrowth on linux

Post by johndh » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:07 pm

So apparently a133 works on WINE, a134 and a135 do not, and a136 is untested. I'm downloading it right now, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Edit: No joy. Crashed when loading hotspots, just as before.

klj

Post by klj » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:09 am

Jeff wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Arakash wrote:well ryan gordon seems to be a frickin linux porting monster :D. I think if he's in charge of the port it won't be long until we see a linux version of overgrowth :]
He's been quite busy lately AFAIK.

I'm wondering something though:
How are they (Wolfire team) going to keep updating the Linux binaries?
Is Ryan Gordon required for this every week or are on of the developers required to step up and install Linux?
Once it is ported, it should not be difficult to keep it up to date each week.
It's unfortunate that Linux users depend on so few people (like Ryan) for ports.

In my view, it would have been a lot better if the Wolfire team had taken the time to familiarize themselves with the process instead. This would also have made it easier for You to develop future games for Linux directly.
Like You said a few months back: "Everything in Overgrowth is designed to be totally cross-platform and we strongly believe that Linux support is important." - Reading this, I don't really get why You feel You need an "outside" resource to pair Your code with Awesomium.

From what I understand, You haven't given Yourself a deadline for releasing a final version of the game, so time shouldn't be an issue. One might even argue that spending time on making a Linux build would fit very snuggly into Your obvious strategy of developing a game funded by preorders, rather than relying on sale of the final product alone.

I'm glad and thankful that You have decided to support Linux - but I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed in Your dedication to follow through.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:16 pm

klj wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Marcus wrote: He's been quite busy lately AFAIK.

I'm wondering something though:
How are they (Wolfire team) going to keep updating the Linux binaries?
Is Ryan Gordon required for this every week or are on of the developers required to step up and install Linux?
Once it is ported, it should not be difficult to keep it up to date each week.
It's unfortunate that Linux users depend on so few people (like Ryan) for ports.

In my view, it would have been a lot better if the Wolfire team had taken the time to familiarize themselves with the process instead. This would also have made it easier for You to develop future games for Linux directly.
Like You said a few months back: "Everything in Overgrowth is designed to be totally cross-platform and we strongly believe that Linux support is important." - Reading this, I don't really get why You feel You need an "outside" resource to pair Your code with Awesomium.

From what I understand, You haven't given Yourself a deadline for releasing a final version of the game, so time shouldn't be an issue. One might even argue that spending time on making a Linux build would fit very snuggly into Your obvious strategy of developing a game funded by preorders, rather than relying on sale of the final product alone.

I'm glad and thankful that You have decided to support Linux - but I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed in Your dedication to follow through.
I'm afraid I couldn't agree more.

johndh

Post by johndh » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:13 pm

Is there any reason we have to wait on this one specific individual? I understand that he's got a lot of experience and expertise at this, but it's not like he's the only Linux-using developer on the internets. :|

Astroman Pete

Post by Astroman Pete » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:47 pm

I just need to vent. I hope this is the appropriate thread:
I have gotten over the initial disappointment of feeling stood-up by Overgrowth. The team is obviously working hard, and this is a massive undertaking.
Initially, pre-ordering did feel like a bait-and-switch, but it was my fault, really, for not reading more closely. I does suck to feel like a second class citizen, though. As a Linux user, I have more than enough smugness to overcome that particular feeling.
If the Linux port ends up being vapor-ware or too buggy to play, sure, I'll be disappointed. I won't regret paying the pre-order fee, though, as I now consider it as simply donation to Wolfire.
I would imagine that being an indie game studio is a kamikaze, everything-on-the-table kind of effort, and I wish Wolfire all the best.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:33 am

I'm not sure how you can be programming in C++ using OpenGL and not have a Linux port by default. I mean, I feel guilty about there not being a Mac alpha for my game (yet) but that's because I can't afford a Mac. But there's no excuse not to have a Linux partition to play around because it literally costs nothing. Plus if you're used to Mac, Linux is a far easier platformer to develop for than Windows because:
  • Linux is made for developers by developers.
  • Windows is a pain-in-the-ass platform to code for at the best of times.
  • Mac is basically just Linux with more white, fewer bugs and more burn-victims.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:53 am

Wilbefast wrote:I'm not sure how you can be programming in C++ using OpenGL and not have a Linux port by default. I mean, I feel guilty about there not being a Mac alpha for my game (yet) but that's because I can't afford a Mac. But there's no excuse not to have a Linux partition to play around because it literally costs nothing. Plus if you're used to Mac, Linux is a far easier platformer to develop for than Windows because:
  • Linux is made for developers by developers.
  • Windows is a pain-in-the-ass platform to code for at the best of times.
  • Mac is basically just Linux with more white, fewer bugs and more burn-victims.
The waiting for a Linux client the past half year was due to Awesomium not being available for Linux. It is now, however.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:14 am

Marcus wrote:The waiting for a Linux client the past half year was due to Awesomium not being available for Linux. It is now, however.
I know, but that just means a more judicious choosing (and/or re-choosing) of libraries should really have been in order after the first few months.

edit: the above sentence makes no sense, but sounds very posh and important so I'll just leave it as is.

wolfseven

Post by wolfseven » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:48 pm

You, Linux users, are disapointed.
Well, my case is maybe as frustrating as yours.
I have a mac. Not an amazing config, but enough to play.
Everybody can run the game on mac.
Why do the game keeps on crashing when I load a map ?
Just because I'm on OS 10.5 and not 10.6, and just because I don't want to spend 29$ for the upgrade when the new is comming out soon for a lower price. The devs said that this OS version will no tbe debugged before a while, because it's not a priority.
Seems stupid, but I guess i'll just wait as you will :lol:

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:03 pm

Ryan Gordon is unfortunately extremely busy with another project for the next little while. I think Linux users will be pretty happy when it is announced though.

For Overgrowth, the timing with Awesomium just did not work out optimally and now we will need to wait a bit more for our schedules to sync up with icculus.

Of course, David could spend a month or so porting Overgrowth to Linux personally and getting it up to quality. He could also prioritize Mac OS 10.5 support. Or perhaps the shader fallbacks for Windows.

It's tough because unlike the core gameplay like spear physics or combat animations, this aspect of the project can be neatly and easily delegated to an expert: It is possible to get a native Linux version of Overgrowth completed by a widely renowned professional Linux game developer without slowing down the project one minute.

It's very tough to hear a portion of the community unhappy, but at the same time, from a project management standpoint, it would be disastrous to halt work to do this synchronously and amateurishly now when it will be done in parallel in the near future by an expert.

As always, we are more than happy to give out Overgrowth preorder refunds and if you guys are interested, you can re-preorder later on once the native Linux build is complete. In fact, I would almost like to insist.

If you guys would like to help expedite the process, if you know of an alternate Linux expert who would be willing to help us in the meantime, until Ryan Gordon has an opening, please email me at [email protected]

wolfseven

Post by wolfseven » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:31 pm

I told times and times.
Those 29$ seem like a natural donnation to this team.
Also, I'd like to say (again) that I'll never ask a refund, just because David offered me a free copy of Lugaru.
(I just asked him about some problem with key registration, and he gave it to me.)
And I actualy don't want to moan about this, I just often check if the game is ready to be played or not.
The good point of the story for me is that because of Overgrowth, I had to take a look at the PCs. For two months I learned about how it worked, how to use it, what were the different parts of a pc etc...and I finaly decided to buy one.
Still waiting for my brand new i5 760 / GTX 560 ti / 8 go RAM config.
:D

EDIT : If I download 10.7, can I play right now ?

Ancurio

Post by Ancurio » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:53 pm

Jeff wrote:Ryan Gordon is unfortunately extremely busy with another project for the next little while. I think Linux users will be pretty happy when it is announced though.
Wow, was I really the only person that raised an eyebrow at that sentence?
This kinda got me excited a bit.. for a second I thought "maybe UT3 after all?"
or maybe it's 'Rage'? Who knows :D

As for the linux client of overgrowth, well... it kinda bugs me too that it isn't there yet,
but I'm just so uberly happy that Wolfire even considers to make one.
I don't want to stress them out when there's finally a tiny light after 20 years of gaming darkness
in linux.
In the mean time, I just enjoy the alpha video changelogs on YouTube :D

johndh

Post by johndh » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:37 pm

Of course you're right, Jeff. I apologize if I came off as accusatory. It's just hard to be patient sometimes when it feels like it's juuuuust out of reach. If any of my developer friends show any interest, I'll be sure to send them your way.

Conner36

Post by Conner36 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:50 am

wolfseven wrote:You, Linux users, are disapointed.
Well, my case is maybe as frustrating as yours.
I have a mac. Not an amazing config, but enough to play.
Everybody can run the game on mac.
Why do the game keeps on crashing when I load a map ?
Just because I'm on OS 10.5 and not 10.6, and just because I don't want to spend 29$ for the upgrade when the new is comming out soon for a lower price. The devs said that this OS version will no tbe debugged before a while, because it's not a priority.
Seems stupid, but I guess i'll just wait as you will :lol:
Um... you realize that you can only upgrade to lion through snow leopard right??

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:28 am

I'm happy we finally hear some official news.
Jeff wrote:As always, we are more than happy to give out Overgrowth preorder refunds and if you guys are interested, you can re-preorder later on once the native Linux build is complete. In fact, I would almost like to insist.
I wouldn't want my money back. I admire the job you've done and until the Linux client is available, consider it a donation.
Jeff wrote:If you guys would like to help expedite the process, if you know of an alternate Linux expert who would be willing to help us in the meantime, until Ryan Gordon has an opening, please email me at [email protected]
http://www.linuxgamepublishing.com/