Combat not working right?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
AluminumHaste

Combat not working right?

Post by AluminumHaste » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:02 pm

I did a search but couldn't find this particular issue. Usually during combat on any maps the enemy AI will ignore me even if I walk right in front of them, until I do a roll, then they go into combat stance. But then they will randomly drop out of combat and walk away from me even if I re-engage them they will block then continue to walk away.
Since the new update the AI will face me then back away until out of range then walk away.
But they will also randomly go into combat fight for a bit then randomly drop out.
I've seen videos on youtube of the combat and this does not happen to other people that I can see. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Nixitur

Re: Combat not working right?

Post by Nixitur » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:33 pm

Hmm, I really don't know, but I know of two possibilites:
1) You accidentally turned off Combat mode. Press C.
2) There's a weapon on the map they can't get to, so they go as close to it as possible and just stay there.

Other than that, I have no idea. Combat works fine for me.

AluminumHaste

Post by AluminumHaste » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:33 pm

OMG HAHAHAHAHA that is exactly it! I have bound C to crouch and I noticed that they will attack me if I roll at them :lol:

how do I change that for turning off combat?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:39 pm

AluminumHaste wrote:OMG HAHAHAHAHA that is exactly it! I have bound C to crouch and I noticed that they will attack me if I roll at them :lol:

how do I change that for turning off combat?
That's a debug key, so it's hard wired into the code... you'll have to pick a different key for your crouch button. :( (for now)

AluminumHaste

Post by AluminumHaste » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:44 pm

WHAT? C is like the most popular crouch key I've ever seen. :roll: Shift is so awkward especially since I have to let go of 'A' to press it so if I'm strafing left well I guess that's too bad? Also CTRL is just as bad, V might work but really wth?

Can the devs PLLLLEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSSEEEEEEE expose these debug keys in the config file. Why in the hell would they be anywhere NEAR the WASD block of the keyboard? :?:

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:55 pm

Uhhh, you can go in the aschar.as script and change the debug keys there.

SuXoR

Post by SuXoR » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:04 pm

pinky on shift, ring finger on a, middle on w, pointer on d, that's how all fps games go at least

AluminumHaste

Post by AluminumHaste » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:17 pm

SuXoR wrote:pinky on shift, ring finger on a, middle on w, pointer on d, that's how all fps games go at least
Ew, grew up on Quake where C was always crouch for me......Pinky on A, Right on W and middle on D, that leaves pointer for reload (R), lean forward (F), drop weapon (V) crouch (c), throw grenade (G), Chat (T), etc and Thumb for jump (Space). Different strokes I guess.
Uhhh, you can go in the aschar.as script and change the debug keys there.
Thank you I will do that right now <3

AluminumHaste

Post by AluminumHaste » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:22 pm

Korban3 wrote:Uhhh, you can go in the aschar.as script and change the debug keys there.
Can't find them in that file. Are you sure?

EDIT: Okay I found void HandleSpecialKeyPresses() and all the other ones are there, like Go Limp and turn on ragdoll, but there is no special key for "C", or "c". It's not in there.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:10 am

AluminumHaste wrote:
Korban3 wrote:Uhhh, you can go in the aschar.as script and change the debug keys there.
Can't find them in that file. Are you sure?

EDIT: Okay I found void HandleSpecialKeyPresses() and all the other ones are there, like Go Limp and turn on ragdoll, but there is no special key for "C", or "c". It's not in there.

Damn, I was sure it'd be there too. Have you tried searching for "c"? That should find any instance where that is called anywhere in that file.

If it's not in aschar.as, which handles all the functions shared between all/most characters, it's probably in the file that only controls the AI. There's playercontrol.as, which is about how the player controls the playable character, that I'm relatively sure about. So the AI one might be enemycontrol.as. I don't have the files in front of me right now, though, so I can't be sure if the "c" key is defined there or not, if the file even exists.

AluminumHaste

Post by AluminumHaste » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:56 am

That was it, it was in enemycontrol.as, "c" and "ctrl" were both defined for the same function. Changed I'll post back later and let ya'll know if it worked out. Thanks for the help

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:12 am

AluminumHaste wrote:That was it, it was in enemycontrol.as, "c" and "ctrl" were both defined for the same function. Changed I'll post back later and let ya'll know if it worked out. Thanks for the help
I'm glad to hear I was wrong about changing that key... let us know how it goes!

AluminumHaste

Post by AluminumHaste » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:23 am

As was previously stated those special keys which affect the AI are located in enemycontrol.as.
Specifically:

Code: Select all

void UpdateBrain(){
    if(GetInputDown(this_mo.controller_id, "c") && !GetInputDown(this_mo.controller_id, "ctrl")){
        if(hostile_switchable){
            hostile = !hostile;
            if(hostile){
                ai_attacking = true;
                listening = true;
            } else {
                SetGoal(_patrol);
                ResetWaypointTarget();
                listening = false;
            }
        }
        hostile_switchable = false;
    } else {
        hostile_switchable = true;
    }
The hostile_switchable gave it away, also the letter "c". I didn't know "ctrl" did the same thing though. Anyways I switched the ones in the quotes to ";" and "'" (single quote) as that way I'll never hit them by accident. :D

Roujin

Post by Roujin » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:58 pm

You understood the part with ctrl wrong. The exclamation mark before the part with ctrl means "not", so what this code means "if 'c' is pressed and 'ctrl' is NOT pressed". I'm guessing that ctrl+c is used for copying something (selected objects in editor mode?), so this is to prevent the enemy hostility changing whenever someone copies some objects in the editor mode.

AluminumHaste

Post by AluminumHaste » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:36 pm

Ah yes I didn't see the exclamation mark. Is this C#? It looks familiar