[IDEAS FOR OVERGROWTH]

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
MasterMorality

Re: [IDEAS FOR OVERGROWTH]

Post by MasterMorality » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:41 pm

There should be a thread for 'ideas that have already been suggested a dozen or more times'.

Sgtteddybear59

Post by Sgtteddybear59 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:56 pm

MasterMorality wrote:There should be a thread for 'ideas that have already been suggested a dozen or more times'.
And you know what else is a good idea? Having a thread for "People who complain too much." :D

BrighTide

Post by BrighTide » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:34 am

Karel wrote:
BrighTide wrote:I'm not sure if it has already been decided or thought about, but when I play this game what I would really love to see it turn into is a "Mount and Blade" kind of game. Where you start off as a nobody, and work your way up to someone who leads armies and whatever in a sandbox world.
Whoa, whoa whoa.
Look, I love Mount and blade.
It's an excellent game.

But ...

1 - Totally impossible with the current engine. Mount and blade haves very "light" models because it is based on epic sized battles. Most people use the battle sizzer to have battles with up to 1000 characters in it ... yet it still haves some FPS problems sometimes - it is completely IMPOSSIBLE in OG. Even if you have a big ass processor OC'd to 5 Ghz, a crossfire of 4 incredible GPUs (OC GPUs, too) and 16 gajillions of epic memory, it's not possible. Look, games that are made for that purpose already fail at it - Arma 2, anyone?

2 - Even if it was possible, I'd say no. On every damn forum for independant games that listen to their communities and in which communities play a role, there's alway a guy who wants it to become a MMO, who wants it to become a RPG, who wants it to become a FPS, no, just no.
Mount and Blade is a sim, a strategy based game, which remains very tactical on the battlefield and tries to be coherent (even if a fictional universe to remain balanced, while it's still very history based) with real tactics, real weapons, real armors, that are used in a realistic way.

OG is a game about FUCKING ANTHRO RABBITS who jump over miles, leg cannon wolves and throw knives at eachother in incredible landscapes that we couldn't even dream of IRL. It's a fast, brutal and spectacular fighting game. It's not a sim. It's not a FPS. It's not a TPS, it's not a MMO. It's not a RTS.
It's OG, it's fun, it's innovative, let's keep it that way, thanks.

3- Plus, massive battles in OG wouldn't work - I'm talking about gameplay here. Feel free to add a shitton of rabbits in the same place so they fight eachother ... if your game doesn't crash, you'll see that it's totally uninteresting.
Mmmm, i do absolutely agree with you there, I think you might have teken me to literaly there (more my fault then anything) i mean just the general sand box feel of the game, where you can do anything and be anyone ect. Like you start off as a no body rabit, chillin around and doing minor questios for people to get money to live , then you could go be a trader and make a killing, or start a group of bandits ect ect

MagnusM1

Post by MagnusM1 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:40 am

Karel wrote:I have some ideas too.

For instance a feature that would allow people to search if what they say wasn't asked or requested already...

That will never work.

Karel

Post by Karel » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:00 pm

BrighTide wrote:
Karel wrote:
BrighTide wrote:I'm not sure if it has already been decided or thought about, but when I play this game what I would really love to see it turn into is a "Mount and Blade" kind of game. Where you start off as a nobody, and work your way up to someone who leads armies and whatever in a sandbox world.

Oh sure then you should have told the sandbox thing instead of mount and balde x)

I'd sort of like a mount and blade like map instead of the thing we had in Lugaru - like, you can move on it, you know where you have to go, sometimes you encounter some enemies - so you enter a randomly generated map and fight some rabbits/cats/wolves/whatever, and all.

BrighTide

Post by BrighTide » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:34 am

You should really be able to pick up another knife/ weapon in your hands once you have sheathed your current one, prehaps even sheath multiple knives ect. Having like 5 or 6 knives hanging off your shirt, and a sword off your back sounds awesome right?

What I have always fantasised about in a game is "sheathes" as actual items, that you equip, and then can hence put spesific items ect in. This could allow for dual sword over the shoulder back sheaths, throwing knives around the waist, around the leg, arm what ever. I think it would bring an extra element of realism to the game, along with yet another unique element, which never hurts.

BotheredMe

Post by BotheredMe » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:00 am

Sgtteddybear59 wrote:
MasterMorality wrote:
And you know what else is a good idea? Having a thread for "People who complain too much." :D
Sadly I think we might have a thread like that...

Karel wrote:
BrighTide wrote:
Karel wrote:

Oh sure then you should have told the sandbox thing instead of mount and balde x)

I'd sort of like a mount and blade like map instead of the thing we had in Lugaru - like, you can move on it, you know where you have to go, sometimes you encounter some enemies - so you enter a randomly generated map and fight some rabbits/cats/wolves/whatever, and all.
This would be kind of nice, makes for having a group that you pick up off the streets to travel with you in your quest to defeat... Whaleman or someone. I forget there really isn't much of a story as of yet.

BrighTide wrote:You should really be able to pick up another knife/ weapon in your hands once you have sheathed your current one, prehaps even sheath multiple knives ect. Having like 5 or 6 knives hanging off your shirt, and a sword off your back sounds awesome right?

What I have always fantasised about in a game is "sheathes" as actual items, that you equip, and then can hence put spesific items ect in. This could allow for dual sword over the shoulder back sheaths, throwing knives around the waist, around the leg, arm what ever. I think it would bring an extra element of realism to the game, along with yet another unique element, which never hurts.
Me gusta 8)
I can imagine the rat with about five blades hidden across his body. This could be interesting.

DemonicDaemon

Post by DemonicDaemon » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:23 pm

BrighTide wrote:You should really be able to pick up another knife/ weapon in your hands once you have sheathed your current one, prehaps even sheath multiple knives ect. Having like 5 or 6 knives hanging off your shirt, and a sword off your back sounds awesome right?

Yeah in Lugaru you could sheath a knife and hold another weapon but that was it.

However this could be taken too far if you're allowed too many weapons at once. I think two sheathed weapons (applies for all weapons not just knives) would be good because in Lugaru, I had a knife sheathed, then picked up another weapon and I would like to be able to sheath my second weapon against unarmed enemies so the enemy can't steal it.

I only really use weapons against armed enemies because they already have one so they can't steal mine.

BrighTide

Post by BrighTide » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:44 pm

Yeah, that is so annoying when you throw a knife at someone and they just noncholantly catch it and then stab you in the face. Prehaps more weapons could be balanced against weight, I think having even a slightly lower attack speed and run speed could be a significant hinderance in this game.

Jellydonut

Post by Jellydonut » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:12 pm

Of course! :D
BrighTide wrote: What I have always fantasised about in a game is "sheathes" as actual items, that you equip, and then can hence put spesific items ect in. This could allow for dual sword over the shoulder back sheaths, throwing knives around the waist, around the leg, arm what ever. I think it would bring an extra element of realism to the game, along with yet another unique element, which never hurts.
What I think would be needed is some sort of Inventory screen so you could equip your character. I think that there has to be some kind of catch though, maybe having to be a certain "level" character, or an encumbrance meter.
BrighTide wrote:Yeah, that is so annoying when you throw a knife at someone and they just noncholantly catch it and then stab you in the face.
I agree. The NPCs should not hear a knife whizzing at them until something like 5 feet, then they get that "surprised" stance. Now, they can't exactly stab you in the face, but I wish they could
holymoses wrote:well i think that a healthbar wouldnt be needed, since you dont have much life overall.

Well, I have an idea of what to do. You know how in Mirror's Edge and Battlefield how when your health gets low the contrast gets thrown up and you slowly recover? Why couldn't that be implemented here?

BrighTide

Post by BrighTide » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:33 am

Yeah, thats what i was thinking, having a inventory system and a image of Turner on screen, then being able to click and rag items onto your hero. For instance being able to drag a sheath for a knife onto anyplace that it would fit (leg arm ect). Then you have full control over what goes where and how your character looks, woul dbe awesome :D.

As for the health bar, yeah, i'm not sure if it would fit into the game as it is (I do kind like it how it is with no HUD). I agree with above that it going red around the edges ect would be most appropriate, however prehaps a more realistec heal time than COD or mirrors edge would be more fitting? Idk

Jellydonut

Post by Jellydonut » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:50 am

BrighTide wrote:Yeah, thats what i was thinking, having a inventory system and a image of Turner on screen, then being able to click and rag items onto your hero. For instance being able to drag a sheath for a knife onto anyplace that it would fit (leg arm ect). Then you have full control over what goes where and how your character looks, woul dbe awesome :D.
Kind of like a Morrowind/Spore inventory screen. Morrowind because of the layout, Spore because you could drag those parts anywhere on the character shown. Then, when your character "draws" his weapon, he can do the whatchimacallit magnet thing and have one of his hands jump to it then return to knife holding position, with the knife!
BrighTide wrote:As for the health bar, yeah, i'm not sure if it would fit into the game as it is (I do kind like it how it is with no HUD). I agree with above that it going red around the edges ect would be most appropriate, however prehaps a more realistec heal time than COD or mirrors edge would be more fitting? Idk
It would be bad seeing Overgrowth with a overly-spammed HUD like COD in the future! :) But I like the idea of realism with the healing time, as you could just run away and heal then fight, repeat.
A way to fix this would be to either make enemy characters faster (which would be mad fun) or to make it so you don't heal nearly as fast when you run.

BrighTide

Post by BrighTide » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:20 pm

Jellydonut wrote: Kind of like a Morrowind/Spore inventory screen. Morrowind because of the layout, Spore because you could drag those parts anywhere on the character shown. Then, when your character "draws" his weapon, he can do the whatchimacallit magnet thing and have one of his hands jump to it then return to knife holding position, with the knife!

It would be bad seeing Overgrowth with a overly-spammed HUD like COD in the future! :) But I like the idea of realism with the healing time, as you could just run away and heal then fight, repeat.
A way to fix this would be to either make enemy characters faster (which would be mad fun) or to make it so you don't heal nearly as fast when you run.
Yeah, that inventory system would be awesome, and it sounds pretty plausable to :D. As for the healing time, prehaps it could be different for different types of wounds, like concussion would leave over a couple of minutes, but broken bones ect would take the respective limb out of action and need a splint (which could be equiped though the inventory screen). Then you would have to take a week or two at the least for it to heal back to its full potential again. I think that so the player doesn't have to wat around for ages, prehaps there could be some kind of bed, that you can rest up in and would skip the process.

Jellydonut

Post by Jellydonut » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:47 pm

BrighTide wrote: Yeah, that inventory system would be awesome, and it sounds pretty plausable to :D. As for the healing time, prehaps it could be different for different types of wounds, like concussion would leave over a couple of minutes, but broken bones ect would take the respective limb out of action and need a splint (which could be equiped though the inventory screen). Then you would have to take a week or two at the least for it to heal back to its full potential again. I think that so the player doesn't have to wat around for ages, prehaps there could be some kind of bed, that you can rest up in and would skip the process.
The healing time thing sounds great. Though would it take a few in-game days, or a real few days to heal? It would be very realistic and would add a new level of intensity to the game if you used real days to heal. I'm not sure about the bed idea though. It seems too easy to just get in bed and heal up.

BrighTide

Post by BrighTide » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:55 pm

Mmm, i'm not sure, if it was a couple of real days, at would be pretty intense wouldn't, especialy it was a gradient like of thing, like if you recently broke your arm, then it would be weaker then stronger on a gradient, and it would affect your speed/blocking ect.

With the bed thing it was more that it would have to be in town and with garenteed saftey ect. So i'm thinking of a secario where you raid a bandit camp and come out with a broken arm and concussion. Then you have to make your way to a city for both medical supplies (unless you either brought a splint with you in your pack, or have the skill and resources to make one) and a bed to rest up in. Then, once in the bed (which costs money mind you) you can skip the waiting of the healing up process.