"How I Think the Game Will Be" Threads

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Nekros22

"How I Think the Game Will Be" Threads

Post by Nekros22 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:41 pm

Is anyone else tired of these threads? The Pre-Order Forum is intended for discussion about the game's mechanics, gameplay, bugs, i.e. things that exist.

Not to sound rude, but speculation about development decisions or your guesses of what will be implemented in the final product is pretty pointless. The devs have a clear vision for what their game is going to be like and it doesn't involve your opinions of why you think dismemberment will enhance the game or why squirrels would be so awesome as player characters so sign my poll and make the devs put them in the game.

I'm all for fan art and fan fiction and discussions about custom maps and stories that the players are going to create because those elements are a big part of Overgrowth's design strategy.

Forcing your opinion, however humble, on something that you are not involved in and will not have involvement in is a waste of forum space.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm all for expounding upon my opinion and discussing it.

Korban3

Re: "How I Think the Game Will Be" Threads

Post by Korban3 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:50 pm

I kind of agree. The SPF used to be where all the mods were, and that was primarily its purpose. Not it gets filled with dismemberment, multiplayer and random feature requests/wishes/desires/fantasies/whatever-thehell-else.
Nothing wrong with talking about that stuff, but having the SPF be filled with nothing but those threads is a birt irksome, for me. I don't speak for everyone though, I'm sure there are different opinions out there.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:53 pm

Even though I react negatively to seeing the same suggestions again and again, I think it's a good thing that people are interested in Overgrowth's future. Some of the suggestions are good. One of the bow threads presents a bow system that kinda works.

I think the most annoying thing is the fact that there's no single thread for it, and so it gets all over the place.

Having one suggestions thread, just like we have one fanart thread
[+] full of beautiful fan art like
and one "what race would you like to see" thread, would be easier.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:14 pm

Korban3 wrote:I kind of agree. The SPF used to be where all the mods were, and that was primarily its purpose. Not it gets filled with dismemberment, multiplayer and random feature requests/wishes/desires/fantasies/whatever-thehell-else.
Nothing wrong with talking about that stuff, but having the SPF be filled with nothing but those threads is a birt irksome, for me. I don't speak for everyone though, I'm sure there are different opinions out there.
Yes, there are. But none of them are held by me.

Black_Stormy

Post by Black_Stormy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:15 pm

It's a natural progression of a game that garners attention that the whirling masses of demanding consumer slobs will eventually make their way onto the forums. The vast majority of suggestions (read: demands) here are made by tweens that have no idea. Up until recently I raged hard at all the absolute trash that is allowed to exist on these forums, with next to no moderation (this thread is not locked yet? Why?). But then I just stopped coming here as much, which is unfortunate because I'm sure there's a few very experienced and capable modders who have done the same.

The community Wolfire has built here is based on acceptance and being nice, which is a great pipe dream, but in reality it serves to muddy the water so that all you are left with is the self congratulating turds and over entitled bottom feeders who have nothing to contribute. Thus you are landed with the SPF in its current state. Luckily David almost never comes here, if he were to post in a thread it would be like moot posting on 4chan.

The modding forum is ok lately, but every now and then it becomes a mod-request subforum. I think that if you aren't announcing a mod you have actually made your thread should be deleted. It's good to see that at the moment most of the threads are relevant, but give it time.

I don't think this community deserves a moderation crackdown, but maybe a little belt pull?

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:47 am

Yeah, a slight nudge would be appreciated. Or maybe have a subforum (Yeah, I know. I don't want a bunch either) that is labeled "Demands and/or Requests" and hope it all sorts of sloughs into that one :?

zzwerty

Post by zzwerty » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:34 pm

The other annoying thing about these kinds of threads is that they seem to mostly be written by twelve year old kids who know little about the game and have very, VERY bad writing skills. I still remember this one suggestion and for the whole thread forum-goers were mostly speculating about what the hell he meant because his post was nigh-indecipherable.
Why do the kids seem to think that this is going to be some massive triple-a open world RPG game with bows and arrows and shotguns and chainsaws and the levelling system from skyrim and stuff? Why have they bought the game without researching anything? GAH

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:27 am

I don't really know, but I guess since so many people come here expecting this to be an over-world or MMO game, maybe there's a youtube video that gives the impression of an open world or multiplayer?

The levels do actually look huge and limitless and open, maybe that's all it takes?

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:23 pm

I haven't seen any videos like that.
I suppose it could seem like that, with how well the world looks. The way the skybox blends into the terrian, makes it look infinite, so I can imagine why.

D-man

Post by D-man » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:21 am

I think people want open world, because the game so far doesn't have any mission levels (no including challenges). Everyone always wants an open world game (they are in my opinion the best type), but this is an indie studio and the development demands for that are enormous.

Nekros22

Post by Nekros22 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:49 pm

D-man wrote:I think people want open world, because the game so far doesn't have any mission levels (no including challenges). Everyone always wants an open world game (they are in my opinion the best type), but this is an indie studio and the development demands for that are enormous.
I disagree but I see where you're coming from.

Every open-world game I've played in the past 5 years has been boring to me (besides Assassins Creed). It devolves from a conflict-driven race against time into a grind fest. Take RAGE as an example. Open-world? Yep. Pretty visuals? Sure. Fun? Not in the slightest. Skyrim had this problem in my opinion; once you figured out one dungeon trap you figured out all of them.

Some of the most fun games I've ever played have been contained and small in scale. FTL is a good recent example. It's simple, it's intricate, it's small, and it provides me with a much better sense of accomplishment than Skyrim does.

tl;dr, bigger is not always better.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:11 pm

Black_Stormy wrote:It's a natural progression of a game that garners attention that the whirling masses of demanding consumer slobs will eventually make their way onto the forums. The vast majority of suggestions (read: demands) here are made by tweens that have no idea. Up until recently I raged hard at all the absolute trash that is allowed to exist on these forums, with next to no moderation (this thread is not locked yet? Why?). But then I just stopped coming here as much, which is unfortunate because I'm sure there's a few very experienced and capable modders who have done the same.

The community Wolfire has built here is based on acceptance and being nice, which is a great pipe dream, but in reality it serves to muddy the water so that all you are left with is the self congratulating turds and over entitled bottom feeders who have nothing to contribute. Thus you are landed with the SPF in its current state. Luckily David almost never comes here, if he were to post in a thread it would be like moot posting on 4chan.

The modding forum is ok lately, but every now and then it becomes a mod-request subforum. I think that if you aren't announcing a mod you have actually made your thread should be deleted. It's good to see that at the moment most of the threads are relevant, but give it time.

I don't think this community deserves a moderation crackdown, but maybe a little belt pull?
Actually yes, I gave this due thought and believe I agree on most points; the forums aren't as easy to manage as they used to be, and it's going to get a lot worse. I also believe that as Wolfire gains game... Uh, typo, I meant 'fame', but I suppose it approximates to the same thing at this stage, but I digress; As Wolfire gains game, there's going to be more and more characters of the 'obnoxious', 'ignorant', and 'plain annoying' types. Including, but not limited to, the young and impressionable.
In preparation for that future I think it would indeed be very prudent to appoint a new batch of moderators.

Black_Stormy

Post by Black_Stormy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:51 am

Oh god don't start mentioning that, you'll have every tween that joined in october PMing you. It depends where wolfire want to go with their forums, what kind of people they want to encourage coming to the forums and what kinds of discussions they want to have happen here as to what kind of moderators they want. I don't think there's a need for more moderators, just for the ones that are already here to have a go once in a while.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:49 am

That's fair, I suppose

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:51 pm

how about a pinned thread to the SPF showing on what Overgrowth will be and stuff, and would be labeled "Before you post", and other things people need? and only by clicking a link in the thread can you make posts?