Unofficial Overgrowth a193, weekly build

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
atomtengeralattjaro

Re: Unofficial Overgrowth a193, weekly build

Post by atomtengeralattjaro » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:21 pm

Bengeance wrote:I love that the AI can remember attack combinations, but it doesn't seem able to remember defensive moves.
this.
Lykourgos wrote:How much longer until the next build comes out? :mrgreen:
Well if we take the slowdown rate experienced last time from 1 week to 1 month, and extrapolate it, I would say 3 months from now :P :twisted:
/jk i hope they'll release something soon, but right now they're preoccupied with "F*** This Jam" so I wouldn't count on it before they're finished with that.

blackhole522

Post by blackhole522 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:04 pm

No Unicode support still?

I had to make another user account to play...

Parco Folgore

Post by Parco Folgore » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:30 pm

no new updates soon? been weeks since last time.

Germanunkol

Post by Germanunkol » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:52 pm

I cannot get the alpha to install. I downloaded the version for Linux in the first post of this thread (nixstaller) and I get the error during installation:
Error: Lua error detected: deps.lua:528: attempt to compare string with nil
This is right after there was a popup saying something about checking dependencies or similar (only popped up very shortly)
Below the progress bar, it says:
Installed dependency: jpeg
Installed dependency: Awesomium
Installed dependency: SDL-1.2
Generating executable scripts

I'm on Ubuntu 12.04 and have installed the game successfully before, on a similar machine.
Help?

neph

Post by neph » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:22 pm

Got the same error, but it was just insufficient space on the partition (had to remove several programs to get enough room, don't know any specifics but it seemed like several parallel versions of the packages are copied to the harddrive)...

Germanunkol

Post by Germanunkol » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:13 am

I used to have that problem when extracting, but setting --target for the nixstaller solved that.
This is different though. I don't think it has to do with Hard drive space (see image for proof):
Any other ideas?
Does nixstaller (after extracting to a folder other than /tmp) need /tmp again during installation? Because my temp is limited to about 2 GB or so, so that might be the problem...?

Germanunkol

Post by Germanunkol » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:27 am

Update:

I used to have /tmp mounted in RAM (so it was limited in size. I undid that (commented out the tmpfs line in /etc/fstab) and now have 17.6 GB of space available in /tmp (which should be plenty).
Still no luck. The installer uncompresses fine, then starts running and I get:

Error: Lua error detected: deps.lua:528: attempt to compare string with nil
Though now it comes after:
Extracting file: overgrowth.bin.x86_64

I've tried running it with --noexec --keep --target /media/Data/Games/Overgrowth/tmp and then start the startupinstaller.sh from there, but no luck.

Goatsee

Post by Goatsee » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:43 am

Hey there Devs, earlier i have had problems with blurry graphics and so on. After trying to fix it for a week i kinda gave up but i thought "Lets give the new alpha a shot" and guess what? It now works perfect. Looking forward to finally playing it and learning about it.

Thanks for 2 wonderful games (receiver and overgrowth)!

chrisxy

Post by chrisxy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:03 pm

You people are having two problems.

1. The installer per default extracts files to /tmp. I don't know by heart how much it uses but it's definitely much more than 2 GB. To be sure, if you have less than 10 GB free in /tmp, use --target=/some/directory for the installer and be careful, it will delete the directory after the install, so make sure it is a new subdirectory.

2. The lua String to nil comparison is a bug in the installer that has been there for several releases. I believe it reads out the version number of some library in order to determine that it is new enough but on some versions of the library the version number is shorter and the number the installer is looking for is not there.
If lua supports any sort of exception handling a fix would be easy, just catch it and resume the install without the dependency check.
I'm not really in the mood for searching but when you search the error you should be able to find the workaround in the forums (aborting the installation midways, "fixing" the script, and restart it).

The Galactic Man

Post by The Galactic Man » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:34 pm

This update is fantastic. I only have one little setback. It's not that big of a deal it's just a little annoying. Whenever I complete a challenge, the challenge complete screen does not pop up. The same thing occurs when I die in a challenge. It does not show the challenge incomplete screen. Is there anyway to fix this?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:59 pm

The Galactic Man wrote:This update is fantastic. I only have one little setback. It's not that big of a deal it's just a little annoying. Whenever I complete a challenge, the challenge complete screen does not pop up. The same thing occurs when I die in a challenge. It does not show the challenge incomplete screen. Is there anyway to fix this?
Currently, the only way to get that screen to come up is by pressing "t".

Germanunkol

Post by Germanunkol » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:46 am

@ chrisxy:

I've extracted to various different directories, no luck. I do have enough space, so the nil comparison is, as you say, something different.
Also, I've tried the --keep command line option for the nixstaller, but the problem is that I cannot edit the script during installation. I know what line the problem is in, and I do know quite a bit of Lua, but I can't manage to edit the script during installation. My current guess is that right after creating the file, it already loads it into RAM, where I cannot edit it any more (because any editing I do to deps.lua - the file in which the error occurs - does not change anything in the installer's behaviour)