What you expect/want Overgrowth to be?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
TorQueMoD

Re: What you expect/want Overgrowth to be?

Post by TorQueMoD » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:53 am

Sounds like a great idea for a MOD once the game ships, but really doesn't seem to fit the current design.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:34 am

Agree I agree with TorQueMoD.

Overgrowth is an action game first. The same mechanics with different focus in levels could change it into an action adventure game (although the loading times while traveling could be annoying).

However, those specific suggestions seem to be memories of things Hauq remembers enjoying in other games, because they're rather random and don't seem to fit in into what already exists in Overgrowth.

A way to glide - this is a method of getting into a place you can't see, but can't walk into because it's surrounded by walls, or something. In Overgrowth, you can usually jump in there. If you can't, the distance is huge, and you'd have to be something like a raven or a bat to get that far. The mods for that only need a little scripting help, thanks to LePetitDocteur's doing some awesome models.

Double jump isn't necessary because these rabbits are incredible jumpers.

Rope swinging is very specific. I would've though ability to climb would be the first one requested.

Overgrowth is using a different stealth system that does allow for stealth even in daylight. As long as the enemies don't hear or see you, you're good.

Projectile weapons have been discussed extensively, throwing weapons will likely be in and bows probably not.

If going up-the-hill feels too slow, it's more likely an issue with the movement scripts and should be adjusted until it feels right. Some other sorts of items might come up later, like a mod with climbing gloves and climbable walls and custom climbing animation.

peirce

Post by peirce » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:55 am

when climbing up a hill why not climb on all fours?

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:55 am

^ Not a bad idea.

zzwerty

Post by zzwerty » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:28 am

DUDE DID YOU WATCH ANY VIDEOS ON OVERGROWTH?
IT'S GONNA BE A KIDS' CARD GAME FOR FREE ON IPHONE AND IPOD TOUCH WHICH HAS SIMILAR GAMEPLAY TO UNO BUT ALL THE WILDCARDS ARE RABBITs

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:13 am

AW DUDE SERIOUSLY? THAT IS SO RAD MAAAAN.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:21 am

AWWW SHHIEEEETTTTT
DIS GUN' BE AWSUME.

filbofaggins

Post by filbofaggins » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:26 pm

Just an opinion,

I can imagine Overgrowth as a successful RPG with noteworthy NPCs, interesting quest branching and beautiful abstract scenery. It'd be interesting to see a combination of the Adventure and RPG genres with this setting; reminiscent of Morrowind and any other Elders' Scrolls games and Assassin's Creed as well for the open-world and parcours combinations. A leveling system would be great to enhance and refine the different playstyles between races and also appealing to the grand audiences of MMOs without selling one's soul by such sheer restrictions. Perhaps even approach the gameplay with a Fable type style; combining story, character growth/personality and decision-making all while keeping the current dynamic fighting mechanics.

baldwinkids6

Post by baldwinkids6 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:35 pm

filbofaggins wrote:Just an opinion,

I can imagine Overgrowth as a successful RPG with noteworthy NPCs, interesting quest branching and beautiful abstract scenery. It'd be interesting to see a combination of the Adventure and RPG genres with this setting; reminiscent of Morrowind and any other Elders' Scrolls games and Assassin's Creed as well for the open-world and parcours combinations. A leveling system would be great to enhance and refine the different playstyles between races and also appealing to the grand audiences of MMOs without selling one's soul by such sheer restrictions. Perhaps even approach the gameplay with a Fable type style; combining story, character growth/personality and decision-making all while keeping the current dynamic fighting mechanics.
Agreed

Pusheen

Post by Pusheen » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:53 am

For multiplayer a "Third-Person Melee Combat Game" (It already is) With not too large maps, servers being capped at max 12 players: 6v6, 5v5, 4v4.. different modes: free for all, capture the flag (wich may be quite fun due to the fast movement) etc.

Overgrowth as just a fairly linear level based fighting game can indeed work if its challenging while staying fun, playing these levels with friends could also be an option.

But no matter what genre Overgrowth will be it shows great potential.

baldwinkids6

Post by baldwinkids6 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:24 pm

no matter what genre Overgrowth will be it shows great potential.[/quote]
Yes! It does Overgrowth will be great if it was any of these things

JaysenSei

Post by JaysenSei » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:50 am

I want free roaming survival. A species against the world being hunted by animals heigher up in the food chain, could work as a difficulty setting. eg rabbits/rats hardest wolfs easiest

scharthaakon

Post by scharthaakon » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:48 am

I would love a deeply thought out story-mode, something related to the races like Wolf and stuff. Also, multiplayer. I know it's a modern game cliché, but I image this could be something like Counter-Strike, where people would make different gamemodes and stuff for it. For example free-running gamemode and dual gamemode. It would be so fucking awesome.

Also, back to singleplayer. Arena mode would be awesome, and I think you guys have been thinking about implementing it as well, am I right? But back to story, haha, I would, as I said, love a truly deeply thought out story. Either that or no story, seriously.

I have great hopes and expectations for this game, like most of the alpha testers! I can't wait to watch what this becomes.

NylePudding

Post by NylePudding » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:31 pm

To be honest I'm all for "More of the same thing". So basically: Individual challenge maps (possibly connected with a story) that have a nice difficulty curve as you go through them, rewarding ingenuity, originality and skill. This with the modding support it already has would be awesome. Additionally there is always the opportunity for eSports or at least some form of competitive multiplayer.

But when it comes down to it I love the way the game controls so much I don't really care what direction it goes in.

BrighTide

Post by BrighTide » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:26 am

I love the idea of an mmo (massive multiplier online game), wait, wait, don't go, hear me out:

I'm fully aware of the challenges and difficulties (possibly impossibilities) of implementing the mechanics of this game in a mmo setting, however:

I think an mmo would give this game something special, coming across a npc bandit in the wilderness and taking him down is one thing, but coming across a random real player and eyeing him off carefully, deciding whether or not you think your good enough to take him down, or you should just start super jumping away. Now that would be a game.

Seems to me that if anyone was going to do something like this, it would be a studio like wolfire. We've all sat around and thought about video games and how cool it would be if this did that or if that did this. But getting in their and creating something as special as what they dream about is something I think this studio would be capable of.

That all begin said, I know what ever they are going to come out with is going to be amazing, and I will most certain be playing the crap out of it.