What character do you think they should add to overgrowth?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Bronxsta

Re: What character do you think they should add to overgrowt

Post by Bronxsta » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:09 pm

Since we're talking animals, I hope the confirmed races control more distinctly

The way I envision it, rats would rely on their long tail for sweeping attacks. Cats would be the best dodgers, the most stealthy, and use their claws more

The rabbits are perfect. Dogs would be balanced and the wolves are good as is, just brute force

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:33 am

Rats would surely be the stealth experts, IMO. Cats could be arrogant and overconfident, only sneaking up upon enemies but rarely avoiding a fight. Rats, though, seem like they'd do everything in their power to avoid fights.

Also a thin whiplike tail doesn't look powerful enough to make people fall down, I don't think that's going to happen.

igotamacandyoudont

Post by igotamacandyoudont » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:54 pm

Thats good ideas everyone and I want to who where that guys is seeing all of these animal warrior games other than that stupid World of warcraft I am sure that's what he mostly means but if he isn't just talking about WOW than I would love to play those games now what are they called?

dissdude22

Post by dissdude22 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:39 pm

They need birds. That can fly. :mrgreen:

Asraith

Post by Asraith » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:26 pm

igotamacandyoudont wrote:Thats good ideas everyone and I want to who where that guys is seeing all of these animal warrior games other than that stupid World of warcraft I am sure that's what he mostly means but if he isn't just talking about WOW than I would love to play those games now what are they called?
WoW was the main one I was criticizing, primarily because of how badly they managed to present a flying mechanic, but there are other games that involve humanoid animals as playable characters - Skyrim has Argonians (reptiles) and Khajit (felids), though personally they should have made the differences between races more drastic; Guild Wars (and its sequel) has several animal-like races, though only the feline charr are playable (there are also skritt rats, and then technically another playable race of berserker-type warriors called norn, though you can only use their ability to shapeshift into wolves, bears, snow leopards, or ravens at a high level) and it's probably the best finished game in terms of beast races so far (in my opinion); then there are some more obscure low-poly games like Perfect World International (fox, rabbit, cat, and dragon girls, and then male wolves, tigers, and pandas) and I've also heard about (but not played) some others like Luskwood, Antilia, World of Felia, and so on. There are several online lists that you can pull up by running a Web search for "furry RPG" and "furry MMO". Even if you're not a furry, some of the games on those lists are fun just in terms of playing anthro animals.

There are some games that feature feral animals, too, though that part of the gaming world is even less explored than humanoid animal games. But WolfQuest is probably the best free one you'll find, and then beyond that you can pay to play as a dragon in Istaria. I hesitate to bring furry fandom into this, since I think Overgrowth holds appeal for all sorts and really needs to avoid being slated as "yet another furry game", but since you did ask...

xzener

Post by xzener » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:46 pm

Sharks. Just, sharks. If you can swim in the OG final version, swimming too far should have a penalty. sharks, like GTA 5, but this shark, being made by Wolfire; possibly the best animal texture designers ever, might make you turn off your monitor, grab a Hot Pocket, and hide in your closet. but also, Whale man! Best boss fight ever? possibly. it would be nice to scale the enemy like in Dragon's Dogma or Shadow Of The Colossus!

Sehiro

Post by Sehiro » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:59 am

Asraith wrote:Honestly, I think that the current bunch is fine, plus Andrige's bear. It feels like a pretty good deal of games these days feature characters that are tigers, pandas, foxes, etc.......animals that have really vibrant colors. Personally speaking, I feel that something as colorful and exotic as a tiger would completely throw off the feel of the rugged "deciduous" atmosphere Overgrowth has right now, and make it seem a bit like "just another animal warrior game".

Part of why Overgrowth is standing out, at least to me, so early on, is because it's a game that features animal-like characters in an environment that feels way more like Skyrim than the usual animal games you see these days. The whole thing feels very down-to-earth, and the roster of species (plus bear, again) provides a very tantalizing prospect in terms of wide selection of sizes, physiques, and combat styles.

I do agree that a reptile or a fish would be really cool, though - I haven't really seen a well-executed reptilian humanoid in a game like this yet, and I think Wolfire could really hit it out of the park. ^^

***Also!!

One thing I don't want to see is a bird that flies, or at least, not one without some restrictions to the flight. Flying tends to destroy the immersion of the game environment. Flying is definitely a very cool prospect, but to make it available to only one playable race would...stink. If there were a lower altitude limit, it wouldn't be a very big deal, but flying as it's usually implemented (like with the mounts in WoW) kind of sucks the life out of a game when you can just escape upwards any time you want. Not to mention, flying especially high over the ground in the game makes the whole game environment feel way smaller; one of the things I love about games that lack flying is that everyone is on a level playing field, plus the world of the game feels huge. Personally, I think aquatic expansion would be way more fun than aerial.

Totally agree. The down-to-earth atmosphere is the the best thing about Overgrowth. Also the not-so-colorful "original" races play a great role in keeping this kind of atmosphere. The only thing I was thinking that could enhance this amazing perception of the OG world would be to add another herbivore race, but this is not likely to happen.
Maybe they can add sheeps or chickens, but just as npc to breed the dogs, not as playable races, so to equilibrate the foodchain. (Cats->rats;Wolves->Rabbits;Dogs->???)

About the flying thing... Nah. It would ruin the parkour aspect of the game which is a key element.
The most I could suggest is gliding. Maybe for flying squirrels, but just downwards. I mean, I would not like to see a race who can raise in the air while flapping their wings, but just glide while falling.

Anyway this is just my opinion.

Asraith

Post by Asraith » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:43 pm

xzener wrote:Sharks. Just, sharks. If you can swim in the OG final version, swimming too far should have a penalty. sharks, like GTA 5, but this shark, being made by Wolfire; possibly the best animal texture designers ever, might make you turn off your monitor, grab a Hot Pocket, and hide in your closet. but also, Whale man! Best boss fight ever? possibly. it would be nice to scale the enemy like in Dragon's Dogma or Shadow Of The Colossus!
I agree with this!! It just might not be the easiest to implement as an anthropomorphic. Still, whales or sharks, or any sort of fish for that matter, would be a blast. The only issue with whales is that they're mammals and the odds of using breath meters for that are pretty high. Sharks would be awesome, though. Imagine playing as one of these!