Garry's mod overgrowth

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Coyote

Garry's mod overgrowth

Post by Coyote » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:21 am

So, I already have an OGRP forum thread up, which will still be up if you want to go join! However, I was thinking, I really want to set up a server in which we can do OGRP and since OG has no multiplayer and if it did it would be rather difficult to get it to work as I want, however I have an idea. Personally, I cannot model for games, but if someone is able to create models, why not create some OG models for Garry's mod and put it on the workshop? I cannot pay you as I can't afford it, but if these models are created I have ways to get the server set up, so I could reward you with positions on the server if you are interested. Just thought it would be a cool idea and I needed to get it out there.

pumpernickel

Re: Garry's mod overgrowth

Post by pumpernickel » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:08 pm

why not create some OG models for Garry's mod and put it on the workshop?
Because you'd at least need permission from the OG devs/designers to use their designs on a different game engine and spread it worldwide, so please contact them personally and make sure they allow that kind of usage before doing something that everybody might regret.

akazi

Post by akazi » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:21 pm

someone modded Turner in Gmod. http://blog.wolfire.com/2011/05/Turner-in-GMOD

Coyote

Post by Coyote » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:39 am

akazi wrote:someone modded Turner in Gmod. http://blog.wolfire.com/2011/05/Turner-in-GMOD
Yeah, I've seen that, but it isn't on the workshop and I've found no where to find the files for manual installation. As for the devs permission, I am not the one going to be modelling, as I specified above because I lack the required skills to model.

pumpernickel

Post by pumpernickel » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:14 am

As for the devs permission, I am not the one going to be modelling, as I specified above because I lack the required skills to model
The modelling itself is not prohibited (in fact anybody could imitate/recreate any 3d models from any commercial game), setting up a server for publishing is the issue.

Coyote

Post by Coyote » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:01 am

Well, I'd have to wait for the modelling to be done first, so, if this did ever happen, I'd cross that bridge when I came to it. Honestly though, there is a huge audience in Garry's mod and the server would be a form of extra advertising the devs do not have to pay for, so in my opinion, I think it would be a great idea and could even cause more purchases of the game and grow a wider audience.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:21 am

Coyote wrote:Well, I'd have to wait for the modelling to be done first, so, if this did ever happen, I'd cross that bridge when I came to it. Honestly though, there is a huge audience in Garry's mod and the server would be a form of extra advertising the devs do not have to pay for, so in my opinion, I think it would be a great idea and could even cause more purchases of the game and grow a wider audience.
I agree that it's a good idea, but you still need the Devs' permission. However, if they think it's as good of an idea as you do, they might even release the original models under some license that allows them to be changed to be Garry-compatible, and to be used there. So... ask first.

Coyote

Post by Coyote » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:56 pm

Endoperez wrote:
Coyote wrote:Well, I'd have to wait for the modelling to be done first, so, if this did ever happen, I'd cross that bridge when I came to it. Honestly though, there is a huge audience in Garry's mod and the server would be a form of extra advertising the devs do not have to pay for, so in my opinion, I think it would be a great idea and could even cause more purchases of the game and grow a wider audience.
I agree that it's a good idea, but you still need the Devs' permission. However, if they think it's as good of an idea as you do, they might even release the original models under some license that allows them to be changed to be Garry-compatible, and to be used there. So... ask first.
You know what, yeah I might just do that, let me formulate a formal latter of the permission request and I'll send it, might take a few days to perfect however, as I like perfect things XD