Stealth Mechanics

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
goldroman22

Re: Stealth Mechanics

Post by goldroman22 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:51 pm

but when they start to notice that the patrol pattern is screwed up. that there are less guards than last time. they might go into hunt mode anyway. that sounds good to me.

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:58 pm

nboy wrote:i feel like one stealth related mechanic that should be implemented is a hunt mode. ill explain. So in overgrowth, if i were to slit the throat of an unsuspecting rabbit guard and leave his bloodied corpse on the ground, other patrolling guards will just walk past the body like nothing was wrong. i feel that the presence of blood or a body should send the AI into a hunt mode or an aware mode that makes their hearing super keen. while in this state they will also turn their heads more frequently to look around for the killer (you). also, if they don't have a weapon they may feel in danger and will seek help form other guards. as i said before, this state could be triggered by blood or bodies so this would encourage players to choke their enemies to death instead of taking the quicker throat slitting route. after the enemies were properly dispatched, the body drag feature could finally have a use. with the bodies out of sight, the patrolling guards would be completely unaware of the situation and the whole process could be repeated.
Something similar to this was in Lugaru. If an enemy saw a body, they would begin to wildly search the area for half a minute or so, and would generally see you instantly in this state if you were within a certain radial proximity ( :( ). Unfortunately, there was nothing to stop them from seeing the same body twice, which would result in a rather unfortunate loop of finding a body, reacting to it, then returning to the same area, seeing the body again, etc.

nboy

Post by nboy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:00 pm

Something similar to this was in Lugaru. If an enemy saw a body, they would begin to wildly search the area for half a minute or so, and would generally see you instantly in this state if you were within a certain radial proximity ( :( ). Unfortunately, there was nothing to stop them from seeing the same body twice, which would result in a rather unfortunate loop of finding a body, reacting to it, then returning to the same area, seeing the body again, etc.
i see that being a problem. but if the chaps at wolfire could find a workaround for this, then i feel like the hunt mode mechanic would fit nicely into the game. it would make the game a little bit more rewarding for being stealthy :mrgreen:

Jack of All Trades

Post by Jack of All Trades » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:25 pm

Here's what I want added to the stealth system along with a hunt mode: ability to escape.

It seems like in OG, when the enemy spots you and chases you, they never forget your location and will hunt you to your death despite you running miles away and hiding behind something. Apparently the feature of enemies losing sight of you and running after where they thought you went was part of an alpha a while ago, but so far as I can tell, is no longer in the game. However, I do understand how this could screw up some levels unless the devs figure out a way for AI to travel back to their origin points after they chase and lose you. (It'd be cool to cause a distraction in a fortress, run outside and hide, and then sneak inside while the guards look around for you outside before eventually giving up and returning to base)

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:55 pm

Jack of All Trades wrote:Here's what I want added to the stealth system along with a hunt mode: ability to escape.

It seems like in OG, when the enemy spots you and chases you, they never forget your location and will hunt you to your death despite you running miles away and hiding behind something. Apparently the feature of enemies losing sight of you and running after where they thought you went was part of an alpha a while ago, but so far as I can tell, is no longer in the game. However, I do understand how this could screw up some levels unless the devs figure out a way for AI to travel back to their origin points after they chase and lose you. (It'd be cool to cause a distraction in a fortress, run outside and hide, and then sneak inside while the guards look around for you outside before eventually giving up and returning to base)
And after an enemy loses you, he looks around a lot more and notifies other guards (when passing by he'll grunt and any other guards will have the same behavior). Would be pretty cool imo.

sandwichpolice

Post by sandwichpolice » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:34 pm

And after an enemy loses you, he looks around a lot more and notifies other guards (when passing by he'll grunt and any other guards will have the same behavior). Would be pretty cool imo.
This would be so awesome and quite unique.

nboy

Post by nboy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:38 am

Jack of All Trades wrote:Here's what I want added to the stealth system along with a hunt mode: ability to escape.

i bet that once the game is a little more developed that this along with a hunt mode will be implemented, because they seem like such no brainer ideas for a successful game. :D

bayc

Post by bayc » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:58 pm

There is actually a system like that.
I failed to youtube, so go to the video below.
I would recommend the whole thing because it's cool, but 1:31 gets to the point.
Last edited by bayc on Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Corpsey

Post by Corpsey » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:49 pm

just take out the s in 'https' with the youtube tags;

RandalAvirett

Post by RandalAvirett » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:39 am

nboy wrote:i feel like one stealth related mechanic that should be implemented is a hunt mode. ill explain. So in overgrowth, if i were to slit the throat of an unsuspecting rabbit guard and leave his bloodied corpse on the ground, other patrolling guards will just walk past the body like nothing was wrong. i feel that the presence of blood or a body should send the AI into a hunt mode or an aware mode that makes their hearing super keen. while in this state they will also turn their heads more frequently to look around for the killer (you). also, if they don't have a weapon they may feel in danger and will seek help form other guards. as i said before, this state could be triggered by blood or bodies so this would encourage players to choke their enemies to death instead of taking the quicker throat slitting route. after the enemies were properly dispatched, the body drag feature could finally have a use. with the bodies out of sight, the patrolling guards would be completely unaware of the situation and the whole process could be repeated.
That will most likely be added to the game since it already allows you to drag bodies Hitman style.