What do you want to be implemented in the next build?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Jack of All Trades

Re: What do you want to be implemented in the next build?

Post by Jack of All Trades » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:14 pm

Alright ya goofballs, here's some other ideas:

Swimming, water that isn't just a texture stretched across a depression, drowning stealth takedown

Kills from ledges (pulling enemies off a cliff or that far cry 3 thing where you come up and stab a guy)

Kicking or throwing sand in someones eyes to stun them. (see also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTAXUYLbFYk)

goldroman22

Post by goldroman22 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:32 pm

armor that protects and can be cosmetically damaged allowing well placed spears or swords through. and bows(much later down the road. if at all possible), although the armor is a lot closer now with the carving editor...that might also allow for some evisceration. and better hit detection with the big swords.

Jack of All Trades

Post by Jack of All Trades » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:45 pm

Ooooh what about spiked armor that damages an unarmed attacker if they hit the wrong place?

goldroman22

Post by goldroman22 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:50 pm

that sounds cool. but only for unarmed combat.

and for all of those that will be like "bow is stupid dumbass"...not all cultures have arrows with fletchings and bows with a range of more than 60 feet.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:57 am

Jack of All Trades wrote:Ooooh what about spiked armor that damages an unarmed attacker if they hit the wrong place?
Relevant.

Jack of All Trades

Post by Jack of All Trades » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:13 pm

EPR89 wrote:
Jack of All Trades wrote:Ooooh what about spiked armor that damages an unarmed attacker if they hit the wrong place?
Relevant.
You're right, that's true. :|
Kinda reminds me of how vikings didn't really have horned helmets because the horns were just a way for the enemy to catch and knock off their helmet easier.

goldroman22

Post by goldroman22 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:57 pm

good points.

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:49 am

EPR89 wrote:
Relevant.
I might be fun to make it an option (what with the armor customization) to put spikes on, but also account for these shortcomings. It seems like Overgrowth could support getting pinned to the ground by your own spikes when rolling/pushed over, and it would certainly be hilarious to see in action.

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:21 am

correct me if im wrong, but the realtime chracter cubemaps are only used by the character model itself, i think attached objects should use it as well, maybe even the other characters

akazi

Post by akazi » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:13 pm

Thomason1005 wrote:correct me if im wrong, but the realtime chracter cubemaps are only used by the character model itself, i think attached objects should use it as well, maybe even the other characters
+ One thousand, I agree. Any item or character that is spawned should use it, so the lighting on the weapons and attachables look right when holding them.

JLipinski

Post by JLipinski » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:03 pm

A few basic things I would like to see are editor tools.

First, it would be nice if when you open up the properties of an object, it tells you a little information about it like name and file path.

Second, I would like more in pathing waypoint control. An option to make a string of nodes that end with one that halts movement, allowing characters to follow points and then stop. Currently this is only possible if you tell the character to go to a single node, and they'll follow using the navmesh. When you string together points, the characters will patrol along those points. I would like to be able to control a one-way path more directly than telling them to go to that point using the navmesh.

Third, and something else that would make gameplay more variable is allowing one node to branch off to several different waypoint nodes. The next node the character will go to would possibly be determined by random number generation or by sequentially assigning the next node, allowing for different ways a level could play out or allowing NPCs to spread out more naturally at the end of a single-file path when travelling as a group, without having to make a path unique to each NPC.

Fourth, I would like a pause variable on each waypoint, which defaults to 0. The character would pause at that node for whatever amount that variable is set to before resuming pathing.

Fifth, and relating to items two and four, would be to be able to control the direction the character is facing when they reach a pause or an end of the path as described. The aim of this is to allow for patrolling to feel more natural, but has much wider spread applications.

Sixth, [spoiler=]Online multiplayer.[/spoiler]

Jack of All Trades

Post by Jack of All Trades » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:50 pm

JLipinski wrote:Sixth, [spoiler=]Online multiplayer.[/spoiler]
Check around other links on the forum about this topic. It's harder than you think for this type of game.

yanniel

Post by yanniel » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:56 pm

How about some online Multiplayer so i can play with other people?

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:48 pm

Jack of All Trades wrote:
JLipinski wrote:Sixth, [spoiler=]Online multiplayer.[/spoiler]
Check around other links on the forum about this topic. It's harder than you think for this type of game.
yanniel wrote:How about some online Multiplayer so i can play with other people?
Can't new accounts read?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:50 am

JLipinski wrote:A few basic things I would like to see are editor tools.

First, it would be nice if when you open up the properties of an object, it tells you a little information about it like name and file path.

Second, I would like more in pathing waypoint control. An option to make a string of nodes that end with one that halts movement, allowing characters to follow points and then stop. Currently this is only possible if you tell the character to go to a single node, and they'll follow using the navmesh. When you string together points, the characters will patrol along those points. I would like to be able to control a one-way path more directly than telling them to go to that point using the navmesh.

Third, and something else that would make gameplay more variable is allowing one node to branch off to several different waypoint nodes. The next node the character will go to would possibly be determined by random number generation or by sequentially assigning the next node, allowing for different ways a level could play out or allowing NPCs to spread out more naturally at the end of a single-file path when travelling as a group, without having to make a path unique to each NPC.

Fourth, I would like a pause variable on each waypoint, which defaults to 0. The character would pause at that node for whatever amount that variable is set to before resuming pathing.

Fifth, and relating to items two and four, would be to be able to control the direction the character is facing when they reach a pause or an end of the path as described. The aim of this is to allow for patrolling to feel more natural, but has much wider spread applications.
Some of this could probably be handled by hotspots. Instead of adding lots of different variables into a waypoint node, there could be a series of "patrol hotspots" that change patrolling characters' behaviour. For example, maybe when a character reaches a patrol node, a "patrol break" hotspot node would have the patrolling character randomly moving in the hotspot area for X amount of seconds, which would be a variable in the hotspot.