Caves in the Editor?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Wormwood

Caves in the Editor?

Post by Wormwood » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:02 pm

A while ago, in one of those folklore videos, it was mentioned that the Rabbits will live in underground tunnels. Does that mean that at some point we'll be able to carve the landscape in the editor in order to form tunnels? Perhaps this could expand into a fully-functional terrain editor. I know this would require a lot of work since the editor uses height maps and such with programs like L3DT, but why would they say the rabbits will live in caves if they'll never add that as a feature?

What do you guys think?

BobSnyder

Re: Caves in the Editor?

Post by BobSnyder » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:06 pm

well, currently, all OG maps are flat. Meaning they are just a thin layer, which is why you used to be able to go through it if you fall far enough. They would have to completely redo all of the levels, which would be difficult and would take a long time. So...while it would be fantastic, I don't think it'll happen

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:15 pm

BobSnyder wrote:well, currently, all OG maps are flat. Meaning they are just a thin layer, which is why you used to be able to go through it if you fall far enough. They would have to completely redo all of the levels, which would be difficult and would take a long time. So...while it would be fantastic, I don't think it'll happen
Actually, they could still be a "thin layer," just a thin layer that can be bent around like a sheet of paper or something. I donno, I'm not well-informed when it comes to programming and such. Yet.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:59 pm

Wormwood wrote:
BobSnyder wrote:well, currently, all OG maps are flat. Meaning they are just a thin layer, which is why you used to be able to go through it if you fall far enough. They would have to completely redo all of the levels, which would be difficult and would take a long time. So...while it would be fantastic, I don't think it'll happen
Actually, they could still be a "thin layer," just a thin layer that can be bent around like a sheet of paper or something. I donno, I'm not well-informed when it comes to programming and such. Yet.
It doesn't work like that.
Height maps are two-dimensional. You cannot fold them over. If you want to make a cave you will first have to cut a hole in the terrain and then build the tunnels by using models. Here's a video of how this is done in the Far Cry 3 level editor.

It works just the same way in Overgrowth, but the level editor cannot manipulate the terrain's mesh at the moment. I personally hope that it will come at some point, but you can actually already create caves. You will need Blender for it. Here's a tutorial.

And here's a tutorial on creating an entirely new terrain from scratch:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12568

akazi

Post by akazi » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:35 pm

Yes please, I would love something like that in the Overgrowth editor! :o

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:23 am

I've for the longest time thought that the rabbits might live in buildings camouflaged to be parts of the terrain, when they're not living up on the monoliths. Something like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/willchrist ... 800607584/

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:16 pm

Thank you all for your answers! And thanks for the tutorial, EPR89.

bloodycoathanger

Post by bloodycoathanger » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:18 pm

just raise the level of the whole map, make a ditch or valley, and then put a flat rock or whatever on top, splatter it in green to match the grass, throw some other rocks here and there in the grrass to blend it, works great.
i made some caves in valleys this way, i cant get my old copy of OG to run, so ill try to get some pics of that later.
i think desert-stone caves are the easiest to make, some of them scale very large and still look decent, lay one on its side and then fill it in.
its not exactly what i know some of you are thinking, but aa simlair effect and map layout is totally doable.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:24 pm

david already experimented with this as there is a level with a cave (hidden in the games files)