*What animal will you play as or love to see implemented?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
EPR89

Re: *What animal will you play as or love to see implemented

Post by EPR89 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:49 am

The wolves in the game look much more like those dogs than the concept art.

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:01 am

The ones in game are slightly less ferocious looking than in the concept art but they're still very well built and have hugely muscular upper bodies. It's not just the size difference between them and the rabbits either as that was even more extreme in Zootopia yet they never appeared as intimidating.

Of course on the far end of the anthropomorphic wolf spectrum you get characters like Florence Ambrose.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:56 am

Peruraptor wrote: Of course on the far end of the anthropomorphic wolf spectrum you get characters like Florence Ambrose.
... who honestly doesn't look like a wolf at all.

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:26 pm

EPR89 wrote:
Peruraptor wrote: Of course on the far end of the anthropomorphic wolf spectrum you get characters like Florence Ambrose.
How so? Is it the hair? If its the simplified features that's just the cartoon art style.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:19 pm

Peruraptor wrote:
EPR89 wrote:
How so? Is it the hair? If its the simplified features that's just the cartoon art style.
That whole cute style just doesn't give me any wolf associations. She looks like a dog. Or a discoloured fox. The white fur puff on her chest doesn't help either.

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:50 pm

EPR89 wrote: That whole cute style just doesn't give me any wolf associations. She looks like a dog. Or a discoloured fox. The white fur puff on her chest doesn't help either.
So Wolfs can't be cute? That's pretty limiting, particularly as real wolves aren't exactly ferocious looking themselves.
And Wolves can have white chest puffs.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:39 pm

I'm talking about the character design, not about interactions.

Puffy cheeks, huge eyes, those long ears, the "mane"... Just doesn't make my wolf sense tingle one bit. Dog? Yeah sure. Fox? Change her colour and that would probably be the best fit. Wolf... Nah.

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:34 am

EPR89 wrote:I'm talking about the character design, not about interactions.

Puffy cheeks, huge eyes, those long ears, the "mane"... Just doesn't make my wolf sense tingle one bit. Dog? Yeah sure. Fox? Change her colour and that would probably be the best fit. Wolf... Nah.
Foxes/Dogs don't have "manes" either. Most of the other stuff is strictly the cartoonish artstyle and is just as removed from Foxes/Dogs as it is Wolves.
Neither Foxes nor Dogs have substantially more puffy cheeks, larger eyes, or longer ears (Unless we're talking hound dogs which look nothing like Florence) than Wolves. Your wolf senses seems to be calibrated to "not cute" because wolves aren't culturally associated with cuteness like Dogs or even Foxes, but that doesn't mean they can never be drawn cute.
Also, even if Florence did look more like a fox than a wolf, no color change would be necessary because foxes can be brown.

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:44 am

EPR89 wrote:
nah this aint no wolf, the cheeks are too chubby, the nose proportions are off, why is there hair on his/her head? his ears have rabbit size
might be the style, i dont have other characters to compare it to. but if you go cartoony you should exaggerate features like the long nose, as you see in your zootopia pic. you might have went in the wrong direction there. its not always easy finding the things that make us recognize an animal but youll get better with time.

you see, overgrowth has a more relistic style so it would look far off. they are established as the most powerful animal and their visuals should communicate this. it shouldnt be like "lets go to this cute thing" and then youre dead

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:04 pm

Thomason1005 wrote:
EPR89 wrote:
nah this aint no wolf, the cheeks are too chubby, the nose proportions are off, why is there hair on his/her head? his ears have rabbit size
might be the style, i dont have other characters to compare it to. but if you go cartoony you should exaggerate features like the long nose, as you see in your zootopia pic. you might have went in the wrong direction there. its not always easy finding the things that make us recognize an animal but youll get better with time.

you see, overgrowth has a more relistic style so it would look far off. they are established as the most powerful animal and their visuals should communicate this. it shouldnt be like "lets go to this cute thing" and then youre dead
1. Its neither my drawing nor my character. 2. I never suggested it should replace the Overgrowth Wolves, I specifically used it to contrast Overgrowth's style of wolves. In fact while the hulking beast isn't my favorite form of anthropomorphic Wolf and I can see why was associated with Werewolves by the previous poster I do think its an important part of Overgrowth because of how they were portrayed in Lugaru.
Peruraptor wrote:However, they actually need to keep being big burly monsters to maintain continuity with Lugaru.

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Sun May 01, 2016 4:51 am

Peruraptor wrote: 1. Its neither my drawing nor my character. 2. I never suggested it should replace the Overgrowth Wolves, I specifically used it to contrast Overgrowth's style of wolves. In fact while the hulking beast isn't my favorite form of anthropomorphic Wolf and I can see why was associated with Werewolves by the previous poster I do think its an important part of Overgrowth because of how they were portrayed in Lugaru.
Peruraptor wrote:However, they actually need to keep being big burly monsters to maintain continuity with Lugaru.
oh ok sorry seems like i didnt read it correctly.

then.... we agree?

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Sun May 01, 2016 1:42 pm

Thomason1005 wrote:
Peruraptor wrote: 1. Its neither my drawing nor my character. 2. I never suggested it should replace the Overgrowth Wolves, I specifically used it to contrast Overgrowth's style of wolves. In fact while the hulking beast isn't my favorite form of anthropomorphic Wolf and I can see why was associated with Werewolves by the previous poster I do think its an important part of Overgrowth because of how they were portrayed in Lugaru.
oh ok sorry seems like i didnt read it correctly.

then.... we agree?
That the wolves should be burly and monstrous in Overgrowth? Yeah. That they can't have a "cute" appearance in other media. No.

Connorses

Post by Connorses » Sun May 01, 2016 1:46 pm

I think out of the current races I'll stick with the rabbits, since they have crazy legs and they can literally jump over their opponent, and parkour and also parkour. I also like the dogs, though, mostly because of that cool comic that came out a while ago.

Birds probably won't be in this game but it gives me interesting ideas. If they could just fly as they wanted, it would be scary as hell to fight against a bird person. It could lead to some crazy hard story mode missions.

Majikmon

Post by Majikmon » Thu May 05, 2016 10:11 pm

If there was a big cat like a tiger, lion, panther, cougar, leaopard, lynx, or cheetah, I would most definitely play as one of those (preferrably tiger or lion).
____________________________________________________________________________________
I get a very oriental/Asian feel from Overgrowth. With this in mind, I would suggest consideration for such species as tigers, pandas, tanukis, and foxes, native or common to Asiatic regions.

Seeing as there is already a lagomorph, feline, rodent, and two canine races in Overgrowth, extending the pool to other orders of mammals wouldn't stray too far from the current cast. However, if a hooved mammal were added, issues with natural weaponry, sneaking, and physical size/weight would arise. The prospect of primates could also prove problematic in terms of extending limb versatility and mobility as a whole. Overall, I would stick with animals that are digitigrade or have paws, as the current cast does.

Going outside of the mammalian class could clash with Overgrowth's world interactions, as such animals like fowl and fish are not anthropomorphized. If this were not a problem, I could see birds and reptiles as possible additions.

Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Sat May 07, 2016 12:41 pm

Squirrel