Overgrowth New HotSpots for BETA 4! [suggestion]

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
NightmareAllie

Overgrowth New HotSpots for BETA 4! [suggestion]

Post by NightmareAllie » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:34 pm

Hello rabbits of lugaru!

I love this game, I play on mac and I would really like in Beta 4 to have new hotspots such as:

Gravity hotspot - change the gravity of the character and everything that steps into the hotspot
Water hotspot - creating our own water
Sound muffler - a hotspot that would muffle sound but not 100% just like if you put a pillow on your face.

Health hotspot - A hotspot that would heal you.

If these were implemented into the game, that would be awesome for map makers!

I have seen mods about water hotspots, gravity hotspots and more but Mods are highly unstable, they end up crashing my game 24/7 hotspot mods and mods in general.

merlyn

Re: Overgrowth New HotSpots for BETA 4! [suggestion]

Post by merlyn » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:44 pm

Water hotspot exists, we just haven't added it to the menu. Load -> Load Item -> Objects/Hotspots/wet_cube.xml

We will take these suggestions into consideration. We are working on completing the main campaign right now, so we probably won't be working on any of these before we leave early access.

All of this should be 100% implementable with mods, btw.

If your game is crashing, please report it. It is possible the mod has not been updated, but it is also possible there's a bug in the game. Email [email protected] and include step by step instructions to reproduce the bug (including which mods you install), and attach the hwreport.txt and logfile from your computer. You can find those files using these instructions: http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/How_T ... Overgrowth

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Re: Overgrowth New HotSpots for BETA 4! [suggestion]

Post by halzoid » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:22 pm

Merlyn is correct, Water hotpots are available, I don't have any footage of it in action, but you can see what it looks like when not interacted with here:
(https://twitter.com/Wolfire/status/850184262833721344)
they slow down movement the further in you go, create foam decals on the surface wherever you go and you'll die if your head is underwater too long... All we need now is swimming (k, thanks guys...)

also, the Mods that create hotspots tend to never require updates as the way that hotspot code is read hasn't changed at all. The mod hotpots you listed are some of the most finetuned one's out there and should function just as well as any other one in the game.

Only issues that have arisen in these hotspots are their visuals, shader's have changed, making SteelRaven's water hotspot's use of an alpha shader not work so you can't see the splash anymore. Elegaro's gravity hotspot also didn't come with some textures when I downloaded it, but it functions the same as it should. Health hotspot is actually a hotspot that already exists, but the code was changed to only affect health and nothing else.

The only one from the list that isn't in game is the sound muffler, which I admit would be pretty useful in certain parts of levels.

I'd personally like to see a hotspot that only makes enemies attack the player once they're in a certain area, but I can see ways to make this happen without a dedicated hotspot (basically small workarounds without code).