Improvements & Additions

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
BrenTonic

Improvements & Additions

Post by BrenTonic » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:33 am

Holy crap, it's been such a long time since I posted on this forum.
Anyways, I thought I would put in my two cents of what I think can be improved and added to make Overgrowth a bit better, in the order of what I think can actually be done.
Right now I'm running the latest nightly build as of 4/29.

1. More post-processing options
Please, please, please let us disable or enable some of the post-processing effects in the game, such as bloom. I personally can't stand the bloom, yet there's no option to disable it.

2. Footprints
Leave prints in the mud while stalking rats in the swamp, follow tracks in the sand or snow, maybe even leave bloody pawprints after slaughtering a group of foes. >:)

3. Turner gets wet
After wading through some water, once emerging, Turner and other creatures should find themselves soaked up to wherever the water touched them, similar to the effect in Grand Theft Auto V.

4. Wind
Snow and sand blowing around in some levels. The particles kicked up from running could follow the direction of the wind.

5. AI and Health
The AI feels cheap sometimes. After throwing a huge sword at somebody, them catching it no problem really doesn't feel right. After throwing a knife into a cat's head, I expect them to drop and die immediately, not shake it off and keep fighting. Sometimes I find myself in a rather humorous situation, where I attack the AI with a sword, they attempt to flip me but I counter, and then we end up in the same position where we started. The cycle repeats with me attacking and them countering until I walk away or give up ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6. Alternate Stealth Abilities
Currently, there are no ways to use stealth on dogs. I've tried, but you can't strangle them or anything, they're too big. So, why not add an option to pull them down and strangle them? Or stealthily stab them in the back?

7. Gurgling and Screaming
It's rather odd to watch a rabbit bleed out and die, yet be completely silent. Adding screams of pain and agony, and adding gurgling sounds after cutting one's throat would really add to the brutality of the game.

8. Violence
Bruises, scratches, broken bones. Anything to make the violence feel more visceral, and dangerous. I think more indications that someone is hurt would be good, like limping, or slower reflexes. The holding arm animation is good, but it'd be nice if there was more animations like it. A small detail, but blood blending into water would be awesome. In Red Dead Redemption, the ragdolls try to stay standing for as long as possible before falling over and writhing on the ground. A feature like that would be insanely awesome in Overgrowth. This is probably the least likely thing to ever happen for Overgrowth, but dismemberment or gore of some kind would be crazy cool.

9. Shadows
It may just be the engine, and it might not be able to be controlled, but the shadows in the game are really grainy and odd. Along with them being grainy, they also seem too dark at times. This may affect performance, but it would be a neat detail to make shadows fade and appear less sharp as they travel farther away from whatever is casting it.
(side note: the volumetric lighting also has this grainy effect, but since the volumetric lighting may not be used, I didn't include it)

That's pretty much all I have to say. Performance is all over the place right now, but I've had performance issues with Overgrowth before, and they're usually just because the game's still in development. Overgrowth is a great game, and I look forward to seeing what's next :)

merlyn

Re: Improvements & Additions

Post by merlyn » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:28 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, we'll take them into consideration.

For the perf issues, are you using internal_testing on steam? Game library -> Right click Overgrowth -> Properties -> Betas tab -> Switch from "NONE" to "internal_testing". This is our nightly unstable build, but it has the latest perf improvements in it.

David has been working on perf improvements recently, and more feedback on exactly which levels and at exactly which points you run into performance problems on your specific hardware setup would help us out. Can you email [email protected] and send us a list of all of those that you've found? Also attach your hwreport.txt and logfile - http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/How_T ... Overgrowth

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Re: Improvements & Additions

Post by halzoid » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:04 pm

1. Bloom can be disabled per level in the scenegraph:
though more Post processing would be nice

2. Footprints would be a great addition and there has been code for it before, but I don't know what happened

3. Image
I've raised this a few times, needs to be added... not sure it will be due to it being purely visual

4. Particle direction is covered in the .xml for each one, not sure if this would be very easy to do in its current state. Also, the particles that are created tend to be rather large images, which wouldn't make realistic wind possible

5. Wolves are the sort of characters who I can deal with surviving a knife blow to the head... everyone else should die when that happens, I agree.

6. Dog's are more of a difficult character to beat, best way to be stealthy is to get close and take them down as quickly as possible with effective weapon strikes or a lucky leg cannon

7. You sick bastard!
Also, what sound would that make... Damage noises might be a nice addition where they make noises that can alert nearby enemies when they get hurt. Also, not all weapon strikes should insta-kill, I wouldn't mind seeing some rabbits still alive after a fight, using the active ragdoll state to roll about.
On the topic of ragdolls, (and the mention of RDR, which Used Euphoria to simulate living ragdolls) the current active ragdoll system looks quite convincing and works very well. However, I have noticed the characters are WAAYYYYY too limp when coming into contact with anything. I think the muscle strength should be increased to hold the protective position with more force, which would make the character look more alive and allow them to have more protection from more damaging head injuries (Plus I'd like a much more reliable and safer way to roll down hills, increased muscle strength would really help)

9. Shadow's look fine to me, other than the slow refresh rate