Unofficial Overgrowth B4 build

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
merlyn

Unofficial Overgrowth B4 build

Post by merlyn » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:40 pm

The latest Overgrowth Beta 4 early access build is here! You can get it DRM-free from your Humble Bundle account, or you can update the game through your Steam account.

(watch in hd)

Changelog:
The points listed here are just a summary of all the changes. You can find the full change log here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/12tP ... sp=sharing

Gameplay

- Made dogs no longer throw swords at you
- Added auto ledge grab feature (while pressing a direction) to make climbing simpler for new players
- Added check box to disable auto ledge grab in Settings -> Game
- Made dodge work a little better against knives (2nd attack doesn't get through now if you've timed your dodge correctly)
- Fixed some spawn points in magma arena that were causing character to fall through the world sometimes

Several improvements to new campaign

Graphics

- Added fog, moving water, and rainbow effects, and tweaked lighting in waterfall arena
- Added smoke and cinder particles and tweaked lighting in magma arena
- Added rain and gradient fog effects, and tweaked lighting in cave arena
- Preserve motion blur while pausing world for better screenshot angles
- Improvements to weather effects

Modding

- Revamped mod menu to make it much easier to see a bigger list of mods, and get a better preview area
- Added Disable All Mods button in mods menu to make it easier for players to debug problematic mods they've installed
- Added mod voting buttons to mods menu so mods get more votes (better feedback on mod quality)
- Added improved prefab support. You can now update the objects in the prefab and it update all levels it is used in, and maintain connections to other objects (weapons, dialogs, etc)
- Added search for objects by name in the scenegraph search, tagging objects with a name in the editor, filtering to only show named objects in scenegraph, and access to object names in angelscript
- Added scenegraph window and search hotkeys to editor ("Y", "CTRL + F")
- AI patrol path points can now trigger arbitrary animations instead of just Sit, Stand, etc
- Added progress unlocking to "simple campaign" mods, and hotspot so progress can be saved
- Added more parameters to nav mesh generation, to better control cases where small gaps aren't added to nav mesh
- Exposed Dear ImGui UI functions to mods

Sound

- Added ability to select preferred audio device, when default device isn't preferable
- Fixed some looped sound issues and playback stalls by switching to software mixing

Performance

- Pre-load most (if not all) assets for Lugaru campaign to reduce in-game content loads and hitching
- Improved loading speed of lugaru campaign menu
- Removed some sources of log spam, which should improve framerates in some cases

Many more reductions of CPU and GPU utilization

General improvements/bug fixes

- Put nav meshes in their own directory so it's harder to File -> Load a non-level file on accident
- Display list of mods when crashing so users know to try disabling them
- Fixed white halo around plants/waterfall objects on nVidia when simple shadows were enabled and anti-aliasing was off
- Fixed some bugs related to handling of IMPulseAlpha (should make some crash error messages more clear so we can debug them - won't fix the underlying crashes)
- Fixed some bugs where cursor disappeared when steam overlay is on
- Fixed some memory allocation and initialization issues
- Fixed some bugs when Steam Workshop APIs return errors

If you find any bugs, please email a full description, full steps to reproduce, and your system specs to [email protected].

To download the beta, use Steam or log into your Humble Bundle account.

Just want the changes from the last beta to b4? http://cdn.wolfire.com/alpha/diffs/over ... d-4042.zip

WynterFoxx

Re: Unofficial Overgrowth B4 build

Post by WynterFoxx » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:29 pm

Glad to see it. Although I'm curious, do you guys no longer provide download links in the forums for any specific reason? You stopped after b2.

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:23 am

WynterFoxx wrote:Glad to see it. Although I'm curious, do you guys no longer provide download links in the forums for any specific reason? You stopped after b2.
It's mostly the time cost to get it uploaded, because we do not have it automated.

We push the latest build to Humble Bundle to make sure DRM-free users have the latest version available to them. If there were a demand to push releases to the forums, we could make it happen. So far this is the first request I've seen for this.

WynterFoxx

Post by WynterFoxx » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:52 pm

merlyn wrote:
WynterFoxx wrote:Glad to see it. Although I'm curious, do you guys no longer provide download links in the forums for any specific reason? You stopped after b2.
It's mostly the time cost to get it uploaded, because we do not have it automated.

We push the latest build to Humble Bundle to make sure DRM-free users have the latest version available to them. If there were a demand to push releases to the forums, we could make it happen. So far this is the first request I've seen for this.
Okay, that's understandable. I myself have only seen 3 (including myself) so I understand. ^^

WynterFoxx

Post by WynterFoxx » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:11 pm

WynterFoxx wrote:
merlyn wrote:

Okay, that's understandable. I myself have only seen 3 (including myself) so I understand. ^^
I would very much appreciate it if you were able to get around to it sometime. When you aren't busy, of course! ^^

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:52 pm

WynterFoxx wrote:I would very much appreciate it if you were able to get around to it sometime. When you aren't busy, of course! ^^
I've started the process on a spare computer. It will take some time, but I'll get it uploaded.

WynterFoxx

Post by WynterFoxx » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:14 am

merlyn wrote:
WynterFoxx wrote:I would very much appreciate it if you were able to get around to it sometime. When you aren't busy, of course! ^^
I've started the process on a spare computer. It will take some time, but I'll get it uploaded.
Thanks, Merlyn! ^^

Xiode

Post by Xiode » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:05 am

Hey, can anyone tell me how complete and polished the Overgrowth campaign is? I want to have the best first experience I can, so I've been staying spoiler-free and am unsure of its state of completion. Are things still being tidied up and polished, or is it done? Am I better off waiting until OG leaves beta?

Thanks much.

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:35 pm

Xiode wrote:Hey, can anyone tell me how complete and polished the Overgrowth campaign is? I want to have the best first experience I can, so I've been staying spoiler-free and am unsure of its state of completion. Are things still being tidied up and polished, or is it done? Am I better off waiting until OG leaves beta?

Thanks much.
I believe there's game-breaking bugs in the new campaign's maps that you'll run into if you play the B4 version (or the B5 version we're about to release). These bugs have been removed from the Steam internal_testing build, but we're still doing a lot of gameplay changes right now, and have had some instability in that build within the last week.

Here's the change log from 2 weeks ago showing what sorts of changes we're still making (might be some spoilers in here. I don't bother checking for spoilers in our change logs):

http://blog.wolfire.com/2017/08/Previou ... Mid-August

If you want zero spoilers before it's complete, and has been fully bug tested, then you might want to wait til after we leave early access. Right now, we're thinking that will be a short while after Beta 6.

Xiode

Post by Xiode » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:41 pm

merlyn wrote: If you want zero spoilers before it's complete, and has been fully bug tested, then you might want to wait til after we leave early access. Right now, we're thinking that will be a short while after Beta 6.
Excellent, thank you!

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:24 pm

Xiode wrote:
merlyn wrote: If you want zero spoilers before it's complete, and has been fully bug tested, then you might want to wait til after we leave early access. Right now, we're thinking that will be a short while after Beta 6.
Excellent, thank you!
Hrm, I started actually trying to do the upload, and I remember now why we stopped doing it. An internal process that we were using for this got broken during the switch to beta, and it's not going to be trivial to fix. I suggest using the Humble Bundle download link instead if you can. It's the exact same bits as this DRM-free build.

Sorry about that!

WynterFoxx

Post by WynterFoxx » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:24 pm

merlyn wrote:
Xiode wrote:
Excellent, thank you!
Hrm, I started actually trying to do the upload, and I remember now why we stopped doing it. An internal process that we were using for this got broken during the switch to beta, and it's not going to be trivial to fix. I suggest using the Humble Bundle download link instead if you can. It's the exact same bits as this DRM-free build.

Sorry about that!
It's fine, I suppose I'll try to buy Overgrowth at some point on my new Humble account. Thanks anyways! ^^

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:46 pm

WynterFoxx wrote:It's fine, I suppose I'll try to buy Overgrowth at some point on my new Humble account. Thanks anyways! ^^
If you need help retrieving your older Wolfire bundle purchase (back in the early days), or humble bundle credentials, you should be able to get help if you email [email protected] HTH

Gyramuur

Post by Gyramuur » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:26 pm

Used to come on here to download builds when they were posted back before you needed Humble Bundle or Steam. I don't understand how to download the game, now. :(

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:14 pm

Gyramuur wrote:Used to come on here to download builds when they were posted back before you needed Humble Bundle or Steam. I don't understand how to download the game, now. :(
Way 1: Register your game on Steam and rely on their auto-update feature (key given to you when you purchased the game).
Way 2: Log in to your Humble Bundle account, and go to this page: https://www.humblebundle.com/home/library

If you have problems getting into your Humble Bundle account, or associating your game with that account, please email [email protected]