Any way to make the arena NOT start the next fight instantly

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
valentinbk

Any way to make the arena NOT start the next fight instantly

Post by valentinbk » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:42 pm

After a long while of not playing the game I fired it up to play the arena. One small thing that really annoyed me is that as soon as the fight ends it automatically moves on to the next one and you can't enjoy the aftermath as you could previously (previously the game would tell you that you won, and would only start the next fight after you click the attack button so you could look around and even drag the bodies).

Is there any way to change that?

AcceSpeed

Re: Any way to make the arena NOT start the next fight insta

Post by AcceSpeed » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:44 pm

I second this.
What I don't like with the next fight starting instantly is that I also get instantly jumped on by all the dudes near me without even having the time to leave ragdoll mode.

afiNity

Post by afiNity » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:53 am

When you fall into the lava in the end of the first round, you automatically lose the second round as well cause you're still in the lava. Pretty much breaks the lava-arena.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:47 pm

afiNity wrote:When you fall into the lava in the end of the first round, you automatically lose the second round as well cause you're still in the lava. Pretty much breaks the lava-arena.
This is on purpose. The idea is that if you fall into the lava you're dead, which makes it hard to win the next round. The same goes for the NPCs, if you kick them into the lava in a multi-round scenario they are not fighting in any later rounds.

valentinbk

Post by valentinbk » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:41 pm

So, could this please be reverted to what we had before? Starting the next round by pressing the attack button worked perfectly.

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:17 pm

valentinbk wrote:So, could this please be reverted to what we had before? Starting the next round by pressing the attack button worked perfectly.
We aren't putting any more work into the arenas before release, since we are very busy making sure the main campaign and engine are high enough quality and bug free. Even reverting takes time, due to other changes in the game, and that's time we can't afford to spend right now.

If you know which old version of the game had the behavior you want, you can get it via these instructions - viewtopic.php?f=13&t=39656

Shanghai Kid

Post by Shanghai Kid » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:30 pm

Any modders here that could change the arena to not start the next round immediately? :P

P.S. valentinbk, are you Valentin the mad, the guy behind gore reviews? I'm a fan :P

Dehlord

Post by Dehlord » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:42 am

I remember when you used to have to click the mouse in order to go to the next round, i really wonder why they didn't stick to that.

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:19 am

Silverfish wrote: This is on purpose. The idea is that if you fall into the lava you're dead, which makes it hard to win the next round. The same goes for the NPCs, if you kick them into the lava in a multi-round scenario they are not fighting in any later rounds.
That reminds me, shouldn't the same condition be applied to enemies who are killed by blunt impacts in a multi-round/hand-to-hand fight? Though doing so would probably necessitate a much shorter grace period between knockout and time at which the player is disqualified for attacking opponents, in order to prevent the player trying to end the match early by killing a downed adversary. It may even be prudent to add such protection to downed opponents in the middle of multi-opponent rounds after a similarly short grace period.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:51 am

Peruraptor wrote:That reminds me, shouldn't the same condition be applied to enemies who are killed by blunt impacts in a multi-round/hand-to-hand fight? Though doing so would probably necessitate a much shorter grace period between knockout and time at which the player is disqualified for attacking opponents, in order to prevent the player trying to end the match early by killing a downed adversary. It may even be prudent to add such protection to downed opponents in the middle of multi-opponent rounds after a similarly short grace period.
That could be cool, but also, the killing/KOing of characters is much more subtle, so it could be really hard to understand why sometimes you get to fight in the second round, and sometimes you don't. It's also harder to control as a player if anyone, including yourself, get killed or KOed.

So even if you know why the match ends early for you, it might feel random. This is opposed to falling into lava which is easier to control for yourself and your opponents, and is easy to see that someone undoubtedly is dead from falling into lava and should thus be unable to continue fighting.

As for disqualifying if you do certain things, personally I feel like it's a boring thing to be able to be disqualified. It's better to make the player not able to do a thing that is unrelated to skill, that will just make them instantly lose the game. Because the only reason anyone would "purposefully lose the game" is by accident.

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:02 pm

Silverfish wrote:
Peruraptor wrote:That reminds me, shouldn't the same condition be applied to enemies who are killed by blunt impacts in a multi-round/hand-to-hand fight? Though doing so would probably necessitate a much shorter grace period between knockout and time at which the player is disqualified for attacking opponents, in order to prevent the player trying to end the match early by killing a downed adversary. It may even be prudent to add such protection to downed opponents in the middle of multi-opponent rounds after a similarly short grace period.
That could be cool, but also, the killing/KOing of characters is much more subtle, so it could be really hard to understand why sometimes you get to fight in the second round, and sometimes you don't. It's also harder to control as a player if anyone, including yourself, get killed or KOed.

So even if you know why the match ends early for you, it might feel random. This is opposed to falling into lava which is easier to control for yourself and your opponents, and is easy to see that someone undoubtedly is dead from falling into lava and should thus be unable to continue fighting.

As for disqualifying if you do certain things, personally I feel like it's a boring thing to be able to be disqualified. It's better to make the player not able to do a thing that is unrelated to skill, that will just make them instantly lose the game. Because the only reason anyone would "purposefully lose the game" is by accident.
Doom/Quake/derivatives (all multiplayer FPSs) do this by simply printing out obituaries, "X sliced up Y like a loaf of bread" "Z was cooked alive". Might feel gamey, but the messages at the beginning of rounds already go down that route.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:33 am

merlyn wrote:Doom/Quake/derivatives (all multiplayer FPSs) do this by simply printing out obituaries, "X sliced up Y like a loaf of bread" "Z was cooked alive". Might feel gamey, but the messages at the beginning of rounds already go down that route.
That could work. The question IMO is if discerning between KOs and kills is valuable from a gameplay perspective. In FPS games, strict and controllable events define the obituary. Like "did they get shot in the head", "did they fall off the map", "did they get blown to pieces" and so on.

My point is that even if you might know why someone died and is thus excluded from upcoming rounds, it might feel like that outcome is not controllable enough (in other words, too random) since it relies to a degree on the physics engine, which is very complex. But then again, maybe it is controllable enough, I just think that aspect needs to be taken into account for a feature like this.

Otherwise, in practice it might feel like "sometimes they just die and can't fight in the next round" instead of "if I succeed in this hard-to-do thing, I get rewarded with the opponent's exclusion in upcoming fights".

However, since killing/KOing enemies makes no difference currently, I have not thought much about how controllable kills vs KOs are in hand to hand combat. So it's possible that it feels perfectly fine, and that almost the only way you can get killed instead of KOed in hand to hand combat is by doing something dangerous. And that almost the only way to kill instead of KO another enemy in hand to hand combat is through skill.

valentinbk

Post by valentinbk » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:01 pm

Shanghai Kid wrote:Any modders here that could change the arena to not start the next round immediately? :P

P.S. valentinbk, are you Valentin the mad, the guy behind gore reviews? I'm a fan :P
A bit late on the reply, but yes, I'm the Gore Reviews guy

And still hoping that would be reverted. I had so many cool falls and moments in the arena cut off really for no good reason.

Edit:
Silverfish wrote:
merlyn wrote:Doom/Quake/derivatives (all multiplayer FPSs) do this by simply printing out obituaries, "X sliced up Y like a loaf of bread" "Z was cooked alive". Might feel gamey, but the messages at the beginning of rounds already go down that route.
That could work. The question IMO is if discerning between KOs and kills is valuable from a gameplay perspective. In FPS games, strict and controllable events define the obituary. Like "did they get shot in the head", "did they fall off the map", "did they get blown to pieces" and so on.

My point is that even if you might know why someone died and is thus excluded from upcoming rounds, it might feel like that outcome is not controllable enough (in other words, too random) since it relies to a degree on the physics engine, which is very complex. But then again, maybe it is controllable enough, I just think that aspect needs to be taken into account for a feature like this.

Otherwise, in practice it might feel like "sometimes they just die and can't fight in the next round" instead of "if I succeed in this hard-to-do thing, I get rewarded with the opponent's exclusion in upcoming fights".

However, since killing/KOing enemies makes no difference currently, I have not thought much about how controllable kills vs KOs are in hand to hand combat. So it's possible that it feels perfectly fine, and that almost the only way you can get killed instead of KOed in hand to hand combat is by doing something dangerous. And that almost the only way to kill instead of KO another enemy in hand to hand combat is through skill.
Personally I always thought it would be neat to see a character who had an unfortunate landing not get up in a weaponless fight. Even if it is somewhat random, hearing that cracking sound and seeing the character not getting up is something I wanted to see for as long as I've been playing the Overgrowth arena. Not a whole lot of games genuinely simulate that kind of thing, I don't think the "it might feel random" thing is a good justification to disable something that awesome

EHEBrandon

Post by EHEBrandon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:47 pm

Are we ever going to get this back as well as the fans system?

Madzelis

Post by Madzelis » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:19 am

agree