The complete guide for the creator v0.1

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
yolibork

The complete guide for the creator v0.1

Post by yolibork » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:55 am

i wanted to put all the info that i know about creating stuff in one topic. i will post info that other people posted,to get everything orgenaized in one place. (making this sticky would be helpful:)

basic editing:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taX4h3U ... AA1DA374F3

MODDING:

Setting up models for importing:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11227#p128225

Mapping Basics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxnHLagH ... r_embedded

Control Reference List:
http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/Control_Reference

Exporting a simple model from Blender:
http://www.moddb.com/games/overgrowth/t ... ing-models

Level Terrain tutorial (with incorrect shadows):
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12568

COLLECTIBLE ITEMS LEVEL SCRIPTING/HOW TO SET A LEVEL OBJECTIVE:

Go to Edit->Set level script and select the challengelevel script.
Save the level and load it again to make the script active.
Go to Load->Hotspot->Collectible Target and place it where you want the player to have to bring the items to complete the level.
Select the newly placed hotspot and press U, expand Hotspot->Script Params and set "Collectables needed" to the number of collectibles you want the player to have to gather to complete the level. There is no way to choose what specific objects will contribute towards the goal.
Place Load->Interactive Objects->Rat junk sack or any other non-weapon object from this list you want the player to be able to collect.
Press Windows->Scenegraph, expand Level->Script Params and set "Objectives" to "collect" without the quotes (you can also use this for other level objectives).

Now, press L to restart the level, pick up the objects and place them in the collectible target hotspot. Once the number of items in the hotspot is equal to or grater than the "collectables needed" parameter on the collectible target hotspot, you should get a level end screen.

This is outdated but helpful:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RpqbC5-Z0E

BASIC STUFF:
click on an object 2 times to select it.
press u to edit its script/stats/parameters.
press c+p for coloring.
select an npc then press Ctrl+Shift+P for making the character a player.
you can do this more then one time on diffrent npcs to enable splitscreen.
you can edit levels only if you open them via the "File" button on the top left of the screen.
to add items to your level simply click on load and then choose the object you wish to add.
press edit to edit the settings of the level.
while in the characters stats,press Ctrl+lmb for typing the stat of the character.

for learning ALL of the creating stuff you can watch this long playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh9xrWT ... AA1DA374F3

For more info: http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/Portal:Overgrowth

i am pretty sure that i will update this guide soon.

Have Fun!

Silverfish

Re: The complete guide for the creator v0.1

Post by Silverfish » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:05 pm

This is some good stuff!

I would highly recommend that you try to put missing information, tutorials and so on on the Wiki. That way all information is in one place, and it can be updated by others as needed.

samjb1992

Post by samjb1992 » Thu May 04, 2017 10:18 pm

the set up models link should be:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11227#p128225
otherwise the link is not usable by the web browser.

same for the terrain editor link it should look like this to work:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12568

the basic mapping youtube video link leads to a video that no longer exists

exporting models from blender link leads to a page that doesn't exists

and just wondering how the the video from this link is helpful?
"This is outdated but helpful:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RpqbC5-Z0E"
since all animations and rigging is done in blender and is very different than the old in game one was.

the video playlist about "for learning ALL of the creating stuff you can watch this long playlist" is wrong now and so is the basic editing video link. because the editor is very different now than it was in those alphas.

im not trying to be an ass I'm just trying to help. just don't want new people to get wrong information

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Fri May 05, 2017 3:45 pm

samjb1992 wrote:im not trying to be an ass I'm just trying to help. just don't want new people to get wrong information
Definitely.

Thanks for you contributions so far, yolibork and samjb.

Do you guys think this would work better in a wiki format? I know we have a few attempts at landing pages and lists of tutorials, but I think I could do some work and get them all combined into a comprehensive outline. It would still be full of holes and old videos, but then everyone could contribute and make it better.

samjb1992

Post by samjb1992 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:52 pm

merlyn wrote:
samjb1992 wrote:im not trying to be an ass I'm just trying to help. just don't want new people to get wrong information
Definitely.

Do you guys think this would work better in a wiki format? I know we have a few attempts at landing pages and lists of tutorials, but I think I could do some work and get them all combined into a comprehensive outline. It would still be full of holes and old videos, but then everyone could contribute and make it better.
i think it would be good as a wiki page. i would link the recent beta videos to it for reference on how to use the new in game modding ui. or make a video on just the ui itself. if i have time i would be willing to make one on it in the next few weeks if that would be helpful. the op does have a good list of keyboard commands that are worth listing.

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Fri May 05, 2017 4:06 pm

samjb1992 wrote:
merlyn wrote:
Definitely.

i think it would be good as a wiki page. i would link the recent beta videos to it for reference on how to use the new in game modding ui. or make a video on just the ui itself. if i have time i would be willing to make one on it in the next few weeks if that would be helpful. the op does have a good list of keyboard commands that are worth listing.
Halzoid has told me he's working on a set of updated tutorial vids, and I have an outline from him, this one, one from Lukas (Silverfish), and the one already on the wiki. I can do some work to try to combine them, and have a clear mention up top saying "more tutorials and better tutorials wanted! Please review these, and add a note saying if it needs an update, a higher quality vid, etc"

I don't want to hijack your project, I just want to help amplify your enthusiasm, and other people's :) I'd love it if you guys keep contributing to that combined one too

samjb1992

Post by samjb1992 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:07 pm

can do. i'll look them up when posted

Majikmon

Post by Majikmon » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:50 pm

A single, comprehensive guide would be so very appreciated on my part.

For me, the biggest issue is having to try and compile a list of usable vanilla script parameters (I'm guessing Therium2 is now vanilla), since there is no complete list in the editor, nor on the wiki. I've been baffled at how many parameters for dialogue, level, and characters exist in the game that I simply didn't know about until I went snooping through campaign levels in editor mode (because "add parameter" gives you no indication of available options for the object type being edited).

If someone could realize this guide in wiki form, or at least update the wiki to list/describe the game's full breadth of script params (and maybe an update on the dialogue and hotspot sections), I would be eternally grateful.

As of now, I'm floundering with the editor to try and see what I can use of the default content, but I am constantly finding discouragement in how much I have to probe into Google or the game's file directory just to -see- what's possible, much less how to apply it to where it actually works.

I haven't been making things in OG for very long, and as a relatively new editor (modder?), it would be nice to not have to spend hours on hours to dig out the range of usable hotspots or the names of a few script params that actually work for x or y objects (I've spent a total of 15 hours now [yes, fifteen hours] just looking up and messing around with how to properly make and use the dialogue system).

-End of rant

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:45 am

We at Wolfire have been working on updating the wiki to make sure the most important things are covered.

We'll be updating..
  • The hotspots article to list all relevant hotspots
  • The script parameters article to include more of the hidden parameters
  • The dialogue editor article with any missing send_level_message and send_character_message commands.
We want all information needed to be on the wiki. Feel free to help out even if it's just by making todos.