Secret Preorder Forum!

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Glabbit

Re: Secret Preorder Forum!

Post by Glabbit » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:47 pm

Cooperative level-building I'm in for.
Anonymously no.

I do think there should be a user&pass system for multiplayer uses, prohibiting multiplayer piracy AND setting up a base for friend/buddy systems, score tracking, etc, etc...

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:39 pm

Derakon wrote:...Cooperative level-building, for example...
This man is a genius.

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:01 pm

Glabbit wrote:It'd just turn into a quick-draw game for whoever presses first as soon as you're in range...

Nah, the I key definitely shouldn't apply to fellow players; the potential for abuse is insane.

Derakon wrote:I don't think it'd really make sense to be competitive against anonymous opponents with debug mode on. It'd be more useful for experimenting, playing around, and the like. Cooperative level-building, for example. Or trying to race to see who can set everything on fire fastest.

Exactly. Actually engaging in serious games with it doesn't make sense, but just playing around would be a blast.

As for cooperative level building, that would indeed be awesome :)

Glabbit wrote:Cooperative level-building I'm in for.
Anonymously no.

I do think there should be a user&pass system for multiplayer uses, prohibiting multiplayer piracy AND setting up a base for friend/buddy systems, score tracking, etc, etc...

Indeed. Worst case basis would be you were working on a map, and some madman comes in and wrecks the whole thing. I'm thinking this could go perfectly with the friend / buddy systems you mentioned, which would prevent that kind of thing from happening.

Derakon

Post by Derakon » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:20 pm

To clarify, I meant "anonymous" in the sense of "you don't know who the other guy is", not as in "he doesn't have a name". For example, if I log onto a UT server, I won't recognize any of the names there (and they won't recognize me) despite us all having nicknames.

Password-protected servers, or at least servers that aren't shown on trackers, are of course a must. Let me arrange games with buddies on IRC.

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:38 pm

Derakon wrote:To clarify, I meant "anonymous" in the sense of "you don't know who the other guy is", not as in "he doesn't have a name". For example, if I log onto a UT server, I won't recognize any of the names there (and they won't recognize me) despite us all having nicknames.

Password-protected servers, or at least servers that aren't shown on trackers, are of course a must. Let me arrange games with buddies on IRC.
Yep, that's where the friend / buddy system comes in, along with passes; as I said, random people wrecking your maps would not be fun. Organizing games with cool people, on the other hand, would be so awesome.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:44 pm

On the cool-people percentage, this community is at the top of my list.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:09 pm

Yeah like Halo's multiplayer forge level editor or, gary's mod multiplayer.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:21 pm

Viking Zippy wrote:Indeed. Worst case basis would be you were working on a map, and some madman comes in and wrecks the whole thing. I'm thinking this could go perfectly with the friend / buddy systems you mentioned, which would prevent that kind of thing from happening.
Or just have private matches that are password locked? That's pretty much a standard function among games in recent history.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:52 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:
Viking Zippy wrote:Indeed. Worst case basis would be you were working on a map, and some madman comes in and wrecks the whole thing. I'm thinking this could go perfectly with the friend / buddy systems you mentioned, which would prevent that kind of thing from happening.
Or just have private matches that are password locked? That's pretty much a standard function among games in recent history.
Yes, also a good idea.
I still think Multiplayer should have a user&pass system though.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:24 am

I am now a proud pre-owner of Overgrowth.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:10 am

Took you a while.
Welcome. =D

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:06 pm

Yay Wormguy :)

philippegerlach

Post by philippegerlach » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:04 pm

hey i have a question about the alpha:

did anyone have a similar problem...

i'm in austria here and i couldn't enter my alpha key inside the game because i cannot find the "slash"-button. i'm using a german keyboard - layout and changed it to english as well, but still there isn't a "slash" - key where it should be.

somebody in the irc told me to create a file called "localcode.txt" with the alpha key inside the overgrowth .app, but the konsole is asking me still to for the auth - key...

philippe

cindermaker

Post by cindermaker » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:52 pm

Hey everyone, just wanted to say hello and introduce myself into the forums!

Just preordered a second ago and signed up for the forums, been playing the original Lugaru for a long time now!

Ninjas

Post by Ninjas » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:04 pm

Welcome and thanks!