Linux Port (some questions)

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
namuol

Linux Port (some questions)

Post by namuol » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:00 pm

I understand that the Linux port is being done by Ryan Gordon (from the notorious icculus.org, I assume).
I have a few questions about the Linux version:
- Will be developed concurrently with the other platform-versions?
- Will there be alpha/beta testing as with the OSX/Windows versions? I'd love to be a Linux tester.
- Should I expect a different release date?

Also, let me know if I should be asking Icculus these questions.

Cheers,
- namuol

Jeff
Evil Twin

Re: Linux Port (some questions)

Post by Jeff » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:55 pm

Icculus is handling the Linux port. I think David contacted him and there should be alphas as long the way along with the Windows and Mac alphas, although this first one may take longer.

One thing to note though, there will be no UI in the Mac and Linux builds for a while. This is because the UI depends on Google Chrome, whose core we use for the UI. We are hoping they will be ready soon, but it is impossible to tell with Google.

Alorwin

Post by Alorwin » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:02 am

Does that mean that Windows is the main development platform? Or something to that effect?

Mango

Post by Mango » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:06 am

What parts of Chrome are being used, and what for? I thought it was just Webkit. This is new to me.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:43 am

Alorwin wrote:Does that mean that Windows is the main development platform? Or something to that effect?
No, it just means that Chrome is Windows only right now. David, Phillip, and I develop using both platforms. John and Aubrey use PCs.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:43 am

Mango wrote:What parts of Chrome are being used, and what for? I thought it was just Webkit. This is new to me.
The Webkit part of Chrome. :)

Mango

Post by Mango » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:54 am

Oh, didn't realise they were any different :?

namuol

Post by namuol » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:32 am

I would expect that Safari and Midori would suffice for OSX and Linux, respectively, since they both also use WebKit.

I suppose I'll need to look into Chrome a bit more (I'm very wary of Google these days, especially when they release Windows-exclusive software).

Will Chrome be a system requirement?

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:45 pm

No, the necessary parts of Chrome are embedded directly into Overgrowth. You don't need to be running Chrome or anything. Safari and Midori will not work, although the Cairo branch of WebKit would be a good start. The thing about Chrome is that the rendering layer is abstracted with Skia so we can render it to a texture and display it in an OpenGL scene. This is a non trivial task, but thankfully Google has done all the necessary work for us. We are going to have to wait for this core to be ported to Mac OS X and Linux.

namuol

Post by namuol » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:19 pm

Ah, I see.

WebKit sounds extremely useful.

VerdantPlanes

Post by VerdantPlanes » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:57 pm

Forgive me if I'm being obtuse here, but will you guys be able to release test versions to mac users? I mean, if I have a mac, which can't use chrome, will I not be able to help test overgrowth?

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:16 pm

You will not be able to test the WebKit GUI until Chrome works on Mac OS X. The rest works fine.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:13 am

Didn't even know they were going to port it. :|
What happens if they don't? :wink:

Madd the Sane

Post by Madd the Sane » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:34 am

It sounds like only select parts need to be changed and/or implemented in order to get the GUI working. Have you tried talking to Google about this, and if you have, then what did they say about it?

Riba

Post by Riba » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:06 pm

Googling around a bit, it seems Adobe has made some work in offscreen-rendering with Webkit and it seems Clutter (an OpenGL GUI toolkit) has a Webkit-plugin.

Other than using Chromed Webkit, Alpha1 seems to be using SDL and OpenGL, so I wouldn't think porting it to Linux should be a problem. Anyway, you really should get a Linux workstation to test your code on, continuously during development. Ryan can probably get you started, but AFAIK he's very busy with lots of projects. (Or at least I'm hoping he's not slacking around with porting UT3 to Linux, etc...)