Will there be environmental hazards in Overgrowth?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Rorschach

Will there be environmental hazards in Overgrowth?

Post by Rorschach » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:35 am

As my first post I just want to say that I love Lugaru and I can't wait for Overgrowth.

Anyway I was wondering if you guys were going to be putting environmental hazards like beds of spikes in Overgrowth because it would be very fun to knock an enemy Furry into a Mortal Kombat esque death pit. And other hazards like cuttting ropes to have logs and other heavy items fall on your enemy would also be awesome.

Just a thought.

Skofo

Re: Will there be environmental hazards in Overgrowth?

Post by Skofo » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:53 am

Every game needs lava.

Needs.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:37 am

Could be cool, but I don't think it would fit. Would be bad if it became like Dark Messiah of Might And Magic where there was always some way to kill your enemies in one hit, this made the game incredibly easy even on hardest difficulty.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:43 pm

Skofo wrote:Every game needs lava.

Needs.
Maybe. It'd be fun, though.
Maybe if water gets implemented you could add a fire-like shader and make it a death zone, or something...

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:22 pm

Silverfish wrote:Could be cool, but I don't think it would fit. Would be bad if it became like Dark Messiah of Might And Magic where there was always some way to kill your enemies in one hit, this made the game incredibly easy even on hardest difficulty.
Well if Overgrowth is similar to Lugaru it will still be difficult to knock an enemy into a certain target. Not only do you have to watch out for reversals but you really have to be aimed up right and that is hard when you are moving so much and so quickly. It'll be easier to kill the stupider AI, but lets face it the basic AI in Lugaru was pretty easy to kill.

The thing with Dark Messiah was that all you had to do was kick an enemy into the hazard.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:30 pm

Rorschach wrote:an enemy Furry
Oh dear.

On topic: hitting enemies off of cliffs and stuff maybe. If water won't be implemented I doubt lava would be... spikes maybe, just stay away from them (or have a circular arena surrounded by a big pit of spikes =o)

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:34 am

Ozymandias wrote:
Rorschach wrote:an enemy Furry
Oh dear.

On topic: hitting enemies off of cliffs and stuff maybe. If water won't be implemented I doubt lava would be... spikes maybe, just stay away from them (or have a circular arena surrounded by a big pit of spikes =o)
Is Furry a bad word? I mean that fur community is really creepy but I consider all furry animals personified to be furries like Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:59 pm

Rorschach wrote:Is Furry a bad word?
No.
Rorschach wrote:I mean that fur community is really creepy
That's to be expected I guess.
Rorschach wrote:...but I consider all furry animals personified to be furries like Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny.
I don't quite understand that sentence (fragment?)... You consider them to be what? Okay compared to the furry community? That's my guess, and if so, that's understandable too... because they're just cartoons after all, meant to be funny =P

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:05 pm

I don't want to touch the furry debate, but we do have some sweet physics in Overgrowth. It's powered by ODE, which is a physics engine like Havok. This means we can potentially have boulders falling down hills and stuff like that relatively easily. I am not sure to what extent we are going to use it, but the technology is there.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:08 pm

Jeff wrote:I don't want to touch the furry debate
Good call =) I only brought it up because I though "an enemy furry" was something that made me chuckle.
Jeff wrote:This means we can potentially have boulders falling down hills and stuff like that relatively easily.
It would be interesting to be walking/running through a valley or canyon of some sort when you look up and see some jerk decided to push a boulder off a ledge onto you. Splat, bunny pancake =)

EDIT: I also think I understand what he was trying to say by that last sentence now. Whoops =p

Sartan

Post by Sartan » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:04 am

There'll undoubtedly be fire. Which means, with a little luck, there'll once again be flaming corpse missiles.

Groveller

Post by Groveller » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:36 am

Jeff wrote:I don't want to touch the furry debate, but we do have some sweet physics in Overgrowth. It's powered by ODE, which is a physics engine like Havok. This means we can potentially have boulders falling down hills and stuff like that relatively easily. I am not sure to what extent we are going to use it, but the technology is there.
I look forward to leg-cannoning the scenery into my enemies, friends, casual acquaintances, innocent bystanders, and random passers-by.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:11 am

Instead of leg-cannoning your enemies, friends, casual acquaintances, innocent bystanders and random passers-by into the scenery. Yes. That would be awesome.

Groveller

Post by Groveller » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:52 am

And, presumably, the scenery will be less inclined to dodge out of the way or grab you out of the air.

Unless... hmmm...

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:20 am

Would that mean if you walljump off an unstable pillar it will fall down? Could be used for interesting platforming bits perhaps...