Suggestion regarding enemy/NPC behaviour

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Ozymandias

Re: Suggestion regarding enemy/NPC behaviour

Post by Ozymandias » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:01 pm

I'm not sure if this was mentioned before but I think someone mentioned the possibility of the AI having weapons (naturally) but some of them, trying to prove how tough they are, will duke it out with Turner hand to hand if he's not wielding a weapon. if turner draws his own weapon though, the other will do the same.

It sounds pretty interesting... and I don't think every AI would do it.

Anyways, AI tactics and such in a first person shooter wouldn't really apply very well to Overgrowth I don't think... they'd need to come up with something different. Moving from cover to cover wouldn't really help unless Turner was using a bow of some sort... but circling around once they see Turner and hitting him in the back would apply...

Zaphon

Post by Zaphon » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:11 pm

Ozymandias wrote: but some of them, trying to prove how tough they are, will duke it out with Turner hand to hand if he's not wielding a weapon.
Yeah, I think I remember seeing that somewhere. Definitively interesting. I imagine a Dog would do this, since I get the impression they are the "honorable warrior"-type.
Ozymandias wrote:Anyways, AI tactics and such in a first person shooter wouldn't really apply very well to Overgrowth I don't think...
Oh, I was just rambling/giving examples of games I thought had clever AI. It isn't really relevant to a third person action-adventure game. Well, except for leaping over fences instead of walking around them and such.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:31 pm

Zaphon wrote:Well, except for leaping over fences instead of walking around them and such.
Speaking of this, Left 4 Dead's zombies could climb stuff... however, it was kinda strange how they would turn to the left/right suddenly then jump/climb on top of something even tohugh there's a clean path to you...

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:58 pm

Ozymandias wrote:I'm not sure if this was mentioned before but I think someone mentioned the possibility of the AI having weapons (naturally) but some of them, trying to prove how tough they are, will duke it out with Turner hand to hand if he's not wielding a weapon. if turner draws his own weapon though, the other will do the same.
That would fit well in a situation where opponents are more interested in beating Turner then killing him. In a pub brawl for example.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:05 am

Ozymandias wrote:
Zaphon wrote:Well, except for leaping over fences instead of walking around them and such.
Speaking of this, Left 4 Dead's zombies could climb stuff... however, it was kinda strange how they would turn to the left/right suddenly then jump/climb on top of something even tohugh there's a clean path to you...
The zombies would swerve to avoid your aim at high difficulty levels, which I thought was really cool.

They did have a habit of climbing over objects needlessly during horde swarms, though.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:12 am

wormguy wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
The zombies would swerve to avoid your aim at high difficulty levels, which I thought was really cool.

They did have a habit of climbing over objects needlessly during horde swarms, though.
eh, it was part of the crowd mechanics' realism
if they couldn't fit through the main way to you b/c to many others were going through it, they'd climb the nearest object over to get to you

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:17 am

But I've had 1 or 2 zombies running at me, then suddenly they 'lose interest' or something and are infatuated by the train next to them, so they climb up onto that... then they come after me again...
wormguy wrote:The zombies would swerve to avoid your aim at high difficulty levels, which I thought was really cool.
That's not what I meant by "turn to the left/right"
I mean they'd just stop and jump on top of stuff for no reason. It was very odd.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:41 am

i'm assuming the engine could only control so many at once
there are actually glitches on levels where you can hide in certain areas and wait out the zombies' life spans
haha