Overgrowth's use of Lugaru

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
GaGrin

Re: Overgrowth's use of Lugaru

Post by GaGrin » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:47 pm

I'd go one step further than that: Bethusda continues to develop and push and old engine they've been making more and more complex for years, trying to make it do things it was never originally designed to cope with.

They also don't have the guts to try anything new or any sense about what's important in an rpg, but those are seperate issues.

Stupid Bethusda.

Mango

Post by Mango » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:04 am

GaGrin wrote:I'd go one step further than that: Bethusda continues to develop and push and old engine they've been making more and more complex for years, trying to make it do things it was never originally designed to cope with.
I disagree, GaGrin. Old engines can be worked upon until they become something way better. Take for example a game I like to call Quake 2. It used the engine now known as id Tech 2.

Now compare it with a later game in the series: Quake 4. Quake 4 uses the id Tech 4 engine, which is a modified, and upgraded version of id Tech 2.

BunnyWithStick wrote:No, Lugaru used it's own, AFAIK nameless engine, AKA the "Lugaru Engine". Lugaru 2 was announced as using the Phoenix engine, before the name was changed to Overgrowth. This hasn't changed.
Now I don't know whether David's rewritten Overgrowth's engine from scratch, but if his old blog posts are correct (look HERE), all the Overgrowth stuff we've seen is built off and adapted from Lugaru's engine. Besides, I don't think it'd be called the Phoenix Engine if it wasn't.

Maximopartra

Post by Maximopartra » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:14 am

Well, if they actually reuse everything they made for Lugaru in Overgrowth (which to me sounds like something sensible), then I guess they should look at the problems stated above or at least at problem 2. Of course it's a minor thing, but still. You have good games and you have perfect games... I prefer the latter one :mrgreen:

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:01 am

GaGrin wrote:I'd go one step further than that: Bethusda continues to develop and push and old engine they've been making more and more complex for years, trying to make it do things it was never originally designed to cope with.

They also don't have the guts to try anything new or any sense about what's important in an rpg, but those are seperate issues.

Stupid Bethusda.
Yeah, stupid Bethesda and their amazing games.

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:42 am

Renegade_Turner wrote: Yeah, stupid Bethesda and their amazing games.
If you say so.

I personally think they're completely gutless and too frightened by their own ideas. I've yet to see anything by them that fully develops a plot line or choice. Even the initial FO3 nuclear choice - one of the clearest and simplest ways of showing good versus evil and they managed to completely cheapen it by allowing the single useful character from that town survive... and be completely fine with it!

It makes your actions hollow and cheap - if people don't matter, if the characters and the world don't matter, then you're basically playing a really slow paced and unbalanced shooter.

They're too frightened to show consequences that effect the player (by contrast FO2 let you become a slave trader and it had a massive impact on your relationship with almost everyone). And until they get over that I'm not interested in wasting my time or money on them.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:49 pm

GaGrin wrote:I personally think they're completely gutless and too frightened by their own ideas. I've yet to see anything by them that fully develops a plot line or choice. Even the initial FO3 nuclear choice - one of the clearest and simplest ways of showing good versus evil and they managed to completely cheapen it by allowing the single useful character from that town survive... and be completely fine with it!
Wait? What's that? Are you ruining the plot for me in some way? I didn't choose to blow up Megaton, if that's what you're talking about, and would rather you didn't refer to any plots or sub-plots, as I have yet to play all aspects of the game.

Also, there'd be plenty of repurcussions if I had blown up Megaton. For one, I'd have no home. Secondly, the main place to trade wouldn't be there anymore. Also, I'd be pretty evil and good people wouldn't respond well to me. I'm pretty sure Three Dog wouldn't appreciate it, either.

I didn't see too much in Fallout 2 that was much more than this. Ooooh you became a slaver and had a tattoo on your head and people said things like "Fuck you, slaver!" That's so much better than Fallout 3's choices.

Anyway, yeah, fantastic game. I liked Fallout 1 and Fallout 2, but I prefer Fallout 3.

Maximopartra

Post by Maximopartra » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:42 pm

From Bethesda I only played Oblivion. I thought it was a great game! I enter the dark brotherhood and everything was totally awesome. I really started to like all these guys and then STUPID BETHESDA made me murder them all in exchange for boring missions given by letters hidden in stupid secret locations. Bethesda really has the potential of making good games/concepts. But usually they completely ruin it in some way... (btw, has anyone noticed the change in topic?? XD)

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:38 pm

hahah max, if you liked oblivion i think you'd have preferred morrowind except for the graphics, far better longer, more stuff to do more weapons more variances in armor, oh right, and the assassins guild in that was way harder to get into, and was a bit crazier.

Maximopartra

Post by Maximopartra » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:13 am

XD Ooooh okay. Morrowind you say. A friend mine had played it and told me all your limbs looked like Baguettes. But I guess Bethesda got lazy when making Oblivion and only concentrated on the graphix. Which to me sounds like a really stupid thing. Because to me gameplay and immersion is much more important than fancy graphix (they do help though).

Alorwin

Post by Alorwin » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:23 am

So, we have a great map editor now. Who's remaking the lugaru maps?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:19 pm

Maximopartra wrote:XD Ooooh okay. Morrowind you say. A friend mine had played it and told me all your limbs looked like Baguettes. But I guess Bethesda got lazy when making Oblivion and only concentrated on the graphix. Which to me sounds like a really stupid thing. Because to me gameplay and immersion is much more important than fancy graphix (they do help though).
I think Oblivion excelled in terms of gameplay and graphics. *Shrugs*

invertin

Post by invertin » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:07 pm

On Fallout 3- My evil character is hated by everyone and it's actually quite depressing to the point that I rarely play as him anymore, while some people practically worship my good character.

On Morrowind/Oblivion: I prefer Oblivion to Morrowind, in Morrowind I found it confusing as hell and it was really hard to figure out what I actually had to do next. Oblivion, just load up the map and press "travel" or get on Shadowmere and do it that way.

Also, the Brotherhood of Darkness missions get a bit better near the end. And they no longer require so much stealth and caution. (Which was just fine for my neutral/screw-around magician character.)