Unofficial, alpha 12 weekly build

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Jeff
Evil Twin

Unofficial, alpha 12 weekly build

Post by Jeff » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:21 am

The unofficial, alpha 12 leaked build is here!

A "leaked build" is when John and I literally grab the latest SVN build and package it up for you guys. It has a ton of known bugs, so don't worry if it doesn't work for you. It is not condoned by David, Phillip, and Aubrey, but we want to keep you guys in the loop and give you stuff to play with regularly! Again, there are a bunch of known bugs, so don't worry about reporting issues at the moment.

There are some rumors about a blessed build coming soon!

New in this version: (blog post coming soon)

Also, press P to toggle wireframe stuff. Press 8 and 9 to toggle the Rabbot. Press ` for the console.

Uploading now! These links should work in about two hours.
Windows: http://cdn.wolfire.com/alpha/a12-win.zip
Mac OS X: http://cdn.wolfire.com/alpha/a12-mac.zip

Subscribe to the dev blog!

A Linux build is currently being worked on by Ryan Gordon -- it will be coming soon (?). Sorry for the delay. :<

Note! No PPC or 10.4 Tiger support at the moment

Tonjevic

Re: Unofficial, alpha 12 weekly build

Post by Tonjevic » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:41 am

Rabbot approves of his new dominion:

Image Image
Last edited by Tonjevic on Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:44 am

downloading right now, review to follow soon(-ish. damn slow dorm internet. >:| )

Tonjevic

Post by Tonjevic » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:48 am

I'm getting much faster framerates, and there are some new assets to play around with and a few editor tweaks. Other than that, I'm not sure what's been updated. Spose I'd better check the blog.

Dark

Post by Dark » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:43 am

YAAAY :D sweetums

Ac30

Post by Ac30 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:27 am

lol, rabbot falling from heights explodes and his arms stretch - entertaining! :D

Jimmy3280

Post by Jimmy3280 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:24 am

Why does it ask for an alpha code? And where can I find it. I checked my e-mail, but nothing.

Jimmy3280

Post by Jimmy3280 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:33 am

Also, How do you load objects into the editor? I have in the console

load file:///Applications/Overgrowth%a11.app/Contents/Data/Models/box.obj

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:35 am

I'm still getting very strange results without shaders, and with shaders the FPS still is 0-1. Hmm.

On the plus side, though, fullscreen now works 8)
Tonjevic wrote:Rabbot approves of his new dominion:
That shot is epic, very nice :)

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:26 pm

Jimmy3280 wrote:Why does it ask for an alpha code? And where can I find it. I checked my e-mail, but nothing.
Hey Jimmy, could you please contact me on AIM or MSN? osxii / [email protected]

GDer

Post by GDer » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:13 pm

FPS: 38 - 47
Game uses too much CPU power. Don't even try to add threading until the game isn't optimized. GTA4 devs did that and it lead to a game that just looks like it uses CPU power, it actually was doing almost nothing.. :D

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:16 pm

Too late

Gahoo

Post by Gahoo » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:02 pm

Jimmy3280 wrote:Why does it ask for an alpha code? And where can I find it. I checked my e-mail, but nothing.
Try clicking the link in your email and see if it takes you to a Wolfire page with your code on it... Worked for me :/

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:21 pm

Jimmy3280 wrote:Also, How do you load objects into the editor? I have in the console

load file:///Applications/Overgrowth%a11.app/Contents/Data/Models/box.obj
I suggest putting the Data folder into your finder side bar for easy selection when loading.
Then when you load the model it has to be an xml file, because that definies the model, it's size, orientation, textures and what shaders it uses.
you can find them in the Objects folder. For example, when in editor mode, press the load tool or press control+l, and go into Data/Objects/DesertRock1a.xml and click on the ground.

Johannes

Alpha 12 - Mac Review

Post by Johannes » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:46 pm

Alpha 12 - Mac Review
Using: MBP, OS10.5, 4Gb ram, 9600M GT, 512 Vram

(Some of these Observations might have existed in earlier alphas, so forgive me if anything I say is redundant)

0. The first time I started it up it gave me an Opengl error of some number, but later I could not get it to appear again.

1. The new font is nice, though a hint too bold I find.

2. COPY AND PASTE WORKS IN THE CONSOLE! WOOT!

3. The Misc Window now shows up properly.

4. FOV changes, but I find it fairly useless because the camera seems to move in on Rabbot when you change the value to be lower. I realize this is due to how the FOV calculation works, but I think you should also have that slider modify the distance between the Rabbot and the camera to compensate so that when you change the FOV the Rabbot always occupies relatively the same amount of space on the screen. That and also being able to use the scroll-wheel for moving the camera in and out would be nice.

5. Camera Collision Detection works with ground and objects when in editor mode. However not when in Rabbot mode.

4. Framerate is down a good bit, though not surprising with 400+ objects. I can't help but think that it needs to optimized a hell of a lot more if you will ever create a scene like you have in the background of your website with a whole town, which would require thousands and thousands of objects. But I'm certain that's on the list so I'm not worried =)

5. When the camera is at a certain distance the 'struts' of the first building complex show some odd checkerboard-like artifacts. This also happens at a further distance though not as extreme: http://jo-shadow.com/Public/Johannes/Mo ... 12_Bug.mov Keep your eyes on the vertical struts in the front.

6. Some pieces of the buildings are shaded far more extremely than the rest, and some don't seem shaded much at all:
Shading_Bug.png
Even after moving the objects out of their positions and into the bright light they still retain their level of shading.

5. Note to Aubrey: You should modify the stair model to be so small that when you spawn it at its default size Rabbot can walk up and down them. I'd love to be able to walk up into that complex and not have to jump, as would any residents that would live there.

Concerning the Editor:
0. I like the new grid implementation ;) that's exactly what I had in mind. Snapping still doesn't work, bug I know that's on the list after talking to aubrey so I won't go into that.

1. Sometimes when you load OG tool-specific cursors show when you have their respective tools selected, as well as in the multi-tool. However sometimes they don't, and you just get the standard white triangle cursor.

2. When rotating around the normal the cursor switches to a rotation icon and rotates too, and you see a line indicating your rotation. I really like that.
One Suggestion is you could show another line like that, but at the original location of the line when you started rotating. it would go out as far as your current line.

3. Oddly though once the cursor has switched to the rotation icon (the one with double arrows) it stays as such, no matter what tool you use.

4. When Free-Form rotating the object will stop rotating if the part you clicked when you started rotating intersects another object. What I think should happen is, when you do free form rotation, as long as you hold the mouse down, it should ignore all other objects, and be able to freely rotate 360°, even when it is intersecting other objects. For example try free rotating the door on the ground by the left side of the first structure.

6. In the editor I spawned a stair model and while trying to move it along the Y-axis normal plane I noticed a little bug:
Translate_Bug.png
Normally the color is supposed to be green I guess, but here it wasn't

7. I just tried using the multi selection tool with a 3 button mouse, and it doesn't work. It seems it doesn't work on a mac even with a multi-button mouse.
Please change it to shift+r-click-drag = add to selection and option(alt)+r-click-drag = remove from selection, similar to Photoshop's multi-selection.

I might have missed some things. Will post more if I found anything.