Level Editor Suggestions

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
tomascokis

Re: Level Editor Suggestions

Post by tomascokis » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:38 am

I think the right click on faces should be changed, remember that some laptops (cough, macbook pro) can do right clicks, they can't drag them!. It makes editing without a plug in mouse impossible. I suggest allowing a drag lock option, ie two right clicks in a row initiate a drag, then any other input disables it.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:55 am

tomascokis wrote:I think the right click on faces should be changed, remember that some laptops (cough, macbook pro) can do right clicks, they can't drag them!. It makes editing without a plug in mouse impossible. I suggest allowing a drag lock option, ie two right clicks in a row initiate a drag, then any other input disables it.
Although I don't agree with drag lock (those tend to activate far too much at the wrong moment and are thus very frustrating), I do however strongly agree that optional work-arounds should be possible.

Ideally a key-binding interface should be possible where you can set the different key combinations for each too manually.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:33 pm

Please ignore this if it's already in there-- I'm on a ppc4 box, so I haven't played with the alpha yet--

Is there a simple cylinder shape available? One you can size and stretch like the cubes?
I haven't seen pics posted of any, just of fancy architectural pillars.

One with the ability to make hollow would be really versatile... Barrels, wagon wheels, towers, plates, a large home-exercise wheel for a well-to-do rat patriarch. :lol:

Also maybe a cone, or the ability to shrink one end of the cylinder to make the cone.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:44 pm

kehaar wrote:Please ignore this if it's already in there-- I'm on a ppc4 box, so I haven't played with the alpha yet--

Is there a simple cylinder shape available? One you can size and stretch like the cubes?

One with the ability to make hollow would be really versatile... Barrels, wagon wheels, towers, plates, a large home-exercise wheel for a well-to-do rat patriarch. :lol:

Also maybe a cone, or the ability to shrink one end of the cylinder to make the cone.
Don't think Aubrey's added any so far, but it'd be easy to do... I should really get to making that tutorial for making your own models.

Madd the Sane

Post by Madd the Sane » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:23 pm

Everyone, we have a trac; use it.

Groveller

Post by Groveller » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:52 am

kehaar wrote:a large home-exercise wheel for a well-to-do rat patriarch.
Bahaha! Brilliant!

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:17 pm

kehaar wrote:Please ignore this if it's already in there-- I'm on a ppc4 box, so I haven't played with the alpha yet--

We haven't made any, but it should be really easy for you guys to make it. :)

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:02 am

An animation so you can open and close doors in-game! And that you could lock/unlock, too.

That would be so useful in stories...

I have no idea how hard it would be to make it work smoothly, of course.

(*goes to learn how to get around in the trac dealie*)

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:17 am

Speaking of opening doors, I hope that this game has a 'use' key. Team Fortress Classic had some cool maps and such where you could use certain objects to do things (like call artillery). I played TF2 and was disappointed to see tht this was no longer possible *shrug*

So... use key... if not for much in the campaign, do it for the mods... think of the mods. Ohhhhh

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:07 pm

Ozymandias wrote:Speaking of opening doors, I hope that this game has a 'use' key. Team Fortress Classic had some cool maps and such where you could use certain objects to do things (like call artillery). I played TF2 and was disappointed to see tht this was no longer possible *shrug*

So... use key... if not for much in the campaign, do it for the mods... think of the mods. Ohhhhh
Yeah, a use key would be useful ;)
I think you could probably take an existing key and make it context dependent. like, when you're not in combat, the 'draw' key, e, which is used for use in many other games like TF2 as you mentioned, could be used as such when you're by something to use.
Q would work just as well, since you already use it to pick up weapons.

Mango

Post by Mango » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:30 am

Three things,

1. Will we be able to apply different textures to different faces of the same object? I can see a really awesome texture browser happening with all the webkit stuff.

2. To do with snapping: how about also being able to snap objects together? As in, not just on a grid, but when 2 objects meet, they neatly click in place.

3. Also, currently if you scale an object along an axis, it extends in both directions. It'd be good if it could just go one way as well so you don't have to place the object again each time you change its size.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:33 am

Mango wrote:2. To do with snapping: how about also being able to snap objects together? As in, not just on a grid, but when 2 objects meet, they neatly click in place.
Yay, Lego =3

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:54 pm

In theory auto-snapping sounds great, but think in practice it could potentially provide headache: how would you deal with Objects of different proportions/rotation that are only slightly off? Would you auto-rotate the object? What if you have two objects at just a little more than 90° and you are trying to fit a box against the faces. which face would it snap to? What if you have the object close to multiple edges, which would you have it snap to? That and it snapping when you don't want it to seem like problems you might have.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea, but you should be able to toggle it easily so that it doesn't snap when you don't want it to.

Groveller

Post by Groveller » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:09 pm

What if you select a snap tool, then choose the two faces you want snapped together?

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:18 pm

Groveller wrote:What if you select a snap tool, then choose the two faces you want snapped together?
Which object would move? if both objects move it would mess up other possible alignments.
that or you'd need a maya-style interface for first object selected, second object selected.