Unofficial, alpha 30 weekly build

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Jeff
Evil Twin

Unofficial, alpha 30 weekly build

Post by Jeff » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:11 am

The unofficial, alpha 30 leaked build is here!

A "leaked build" is when John and I literally grab the latest SVN build and package it up for you guys. It has a ton of known bugs, so don't worry if it doesn't work for you. It is not condoned by David, Phillip, and Aubrey, but we want to keep you guys in the loop and give you stuff to play with regularly! Please report bugs in Trac! http://trac.wolfire.net/spf/overgrowth

*NOTE* Please remember that these are unofficial alphas and they do not represent a finished product. They are not even polished builds, just straight up raw development dumps not intended for public consumption.

New in this version: (see blog)

Also, press F to toggle wireframe stuff. Press 8 and 9 to toggle the Rabbot. Press ` for the console. Type Console.help() for the console commands. Press b to spawn a physics box, right click to drag it around. Press r to spawn a ragdoll and F1 for WebKitten.

We are testing out BitTorrent DNA this week! Please let me know how that goes.
Windows: (direct) (torrent) (BitTorrent DNA)
Mac OS X: (direct) (torrent) (BitTorrent DNA)

Subscribe to the dev blog!

Note! No PPC, 10.4 Tiger, or Linux support at the moment -- we are waiting on Google Chrome for these. We are not sure when this will happen. Linux support is on the horizon though!

Jeff
Evil Twin

Re: Unofficial, alpha 30 weekly build

Post by Jeff » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:11 am

Mac version coming in several minutes

tomascokis

Post by tomascokis » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:06 am

Can we expect some kind of updater soon? I know thats a lot to ask but this is really taking a hit on my download cap.

Ac30

Post by Ac30 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:01 am

tomascokis wrote:Can we expect some kind of updater soon? I know thats a lot to ask but this is really taking a hit on my download cap.
I second that. The sizes of the .zip only get bigger with time. But that's a good thing :).

Mykei

Post by Mykei » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:38 am

tomascokis wrote:Can we expect some kind of updater soon? I know thats a lot to ask but this is really taking a hit on my download cap.
Then don't download? I agree a updater would be nice but it's not worth downloading if you have a cap

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:02 pm

That's the spirit, Mykei!

Just kidding. Tonjevic maintains an SVN mirror of the alphas, so you can svn update and it will only retrieve the files you need. It would be cool if someone else without a download cap could volunteer to help him out so he doesn't have to do it alone every week.

dantheman223

Post by dantheman223 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:31 pm

nice one mine will have downloadid in a minit oh hey could you tell john that nico belic from steam says hi and that im still rootin :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :D

steveirwin

Post by steveirwin » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:55 pm

this is awesome, keep up the good work guys!

Mykei

Post by Mykei » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:26 pm

Jeff wrote:That's the spirit, Mykei!

Just kidding. Tonjevic maintains an SVN mirror of the alphas, so you can svn update and it will only retrieve the files you need. It would be cool if someone else without a download cap could volunteer to help him out so he doesn't have to do it alone every week.
I should learn to stop being so negative, I agree.

Odin

Post by Odin » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:57 pm

Jeff wrote:Just kidding. Tonjevic maintains an SVN mirror of the alphas, so you can svn update and it will only retrieve the files you need. It would be cool if someone else without a download cap could volunteer to help him out so he doesn't have to do it alone every week.
I don't habe any downloads caps, just give me more information about what to do and I will help you. ;)

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:16 pm

Talking with Tonjevic now in IRC

turbochop

Post by turbochop » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:57 am

Wow, I was getting my butt whooped, and the game wasnt even finished yet. At least now I know the "secret" to beating rabbot. :lol:

Hale

Post by Hale » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:31 am

Screw it, with every alpha mapping becomes more and more impossible. In fact, it's so horrifically riddled with inconsistencies and bugs I've decided to simply stop trying. Seriously guys, in the last two alphas you can't even duplicate an object more than twice without the original deleting itself, and with undo gone it's more than I can handle. Deleting anything that's been moved or duplicated also results in crashing. On top of that, the terrain pretty much changes every alpha, thus making my maps obsolete by each alpha. Honestly, I don't bother reporting bugs because you seem to have adopted a larger ego than you deserve. I'll wait till you can handle what you release before I start mapping again.

And obviously, I realize that not only is this an alpha, but it is an unofficial build. But in reality they are becoming so dysfunctional, it's ridiculous. So for those who want to use the alphas for more than just dicking around with another rabbot, it just doesn't work. I suppose I'll wait for one of those mythical blessed builds...

tomascokis

Post by tomascokis » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:38 am

I think somebody needs to have some 'calm' time.

Remember thats it important not to let usability of the alpha get in the way of progress, every new feature they add generates new bugs, and while the devs try their best to get rid of them, more pop up when they make the next feature.

This is called the alpha cycle, and it is all knowing and powerful.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:18 pm

We're creating a game, not maintaining a released product. Development speed will be halved if we try to maintain backwards-compatibility for every alpha. The editing tools are being restructured to have a unified base for all the other editors (animation, physics, etc.) so they are temporarily down, but they will be back within the next couple weeks.